Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Run Flat tires

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   relgel

relgel

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:ford edge-- C Max Energi on 1/21/13

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

I have 38K on my Cmax and am starting to research new tires.  can anyone comment on buying  run flat tires and impact on ride comfort and MPG? I had a blow out at 20K from road debris,  and not being able to move the car was pretty unsettling.   Getting it replaced was a rip-off.

thanks in advance,

Jim AKA relgel

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

I think ride comfort is comparable to any tire and you may see a slight decrease in range with run flat tires over Eco tires. The trade off is knowing you can continue to a tire shop rather than waiting for a tow, or using the flat tire goop and ruining the TPMS, or hassling with a tire plug kit, or taking up your cargo space with a spare on a wheel...

If I were keeping my C-Max, I had already decided when I needed to replace the tires I was going to buy run flats.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

I think ride comfort is comparable to any tire and you may see a slight decrease in range with run flat tires over Eco tires. The trade off is knowing you can continue to a tire shop rather than waiting for a tow, or using the flat tire goop and ruining the TPMS, or hassling with a tire plug kit, or taking up your cargo space with a spare on a wheel...

If I were keeping my C-Max, I had already decided when I needed to replace the tires I was going to buy run flats.

Me too.

No spare and run flats seem to be a natural combo, and a little hit on fuel economy is much less of a consideration with an Energy than with a Hybrid.  Our OVERALL fuel economy is typically so outstanding by comparison that a slight   decrease would be of little consequence.

'though it will probably be quite a while until I need to replace tires; so, I'm still feeling a little vulnerable.

#4 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

Look up Bridgestone Driveguards. I have them on my Volt.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

Carry a tire repair kit, you know the needle and the rubber string inserts with a tube of goop or E6000 as they call it these days, plus a pair of plyers to pull the foreign object out.  You can repair the tire this way for good and not have to use the goo crap that screws up the TPMS sensor.

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

Look up Bridgestone Driveguards. I have them on my Volt.

What kind of mileage hit did you see? :smile2:

Paul

#7 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

My 2012 Mini Cooper S came with Continental all season run-flats.  I recently changed to Continental DWS-06 normal tires; I have observed much improved ride, handling, road noise reduction, and probably more grip. 

I would not go back to run-flats.  I did purchase an appropriately-sized space-saver spare to carry on longer drives.  I also have a spare for the Energi.  I will get normal LRR replacement tires for the Energi when the time comes.

#8 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

My 2012 Mini Cooper S came with Continental all season run-flats.  I recently changed to Continental DWS-06 normal tires; I have observed much improved ride, handling, road noise reduction, and probably more grip. 

I would not go back to run-flats.  I did purchase an appropriately-sized space-saver spare to carry on longer drives.  I also have a spare for the Energi.  I will get normal LRR replacement tires for the Energi when the time comes.

@dr61 - would you please share the energi space saving spare you bought - I'm looking to do the same and have read so much conflicting opinion on junkyard Fusion, Taurus, etc., just want to know what REALLY fits.

#9 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:35 AM

We have an '04 Sienna AWD that came with runflats because the drive shaft runs through the underneath area where a spare would normally be placed.  The OE wheels and tires were like rocks.  I could barely lift one.  When the time came, (when I had enough money), I switched to the lightest wheels I could find.  Now they are still heavy, but I can actually lift one, (with effort).  I saved 11 lbs per wheel switching to Enkei PF01s.  I haven't weighed the C-MAX wheels, but I'm betting one can offset some of the added RunFlat weight using a lighter wheel.....  (I actually replaced two non-RunFlats on my mother's C350 with RunFlats even though it has a spare.  She's 80 years old and just the thought of her having to wait because of a flat....)

#10 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

I used to have a Sienna too with AWD the Runflats did not last and were pretty bad.  I replaced them with regular tires and purchased a spare  a spare tire and wheel for less than the cost of 4 RunFlats.

I am now looking at new tires for my CMAX and am a bit torn.

Looking at 

Pirelli cinturato p7 all season plus

or  BRIDGESTONE ECOPIAEP422 PLUS

or 

CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON RUN Flat

They show as weighing 26 lbs which seems to be be standard the Bridgestone Driveguard show 29 lbs.

There is really no place to have a spare in a CMAX and while I can fix a small puncture I also know that sometimes you cannot plug a hole.  I used my Runflats a few times on the Sienna when I first owned it finding nails like the car had magnets on the tires to attract nails.

logo_pirelli.gif
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • Mail
CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON RUN FLAT -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·