Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Stock wheels/tires kinda suck I think...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:47 AM

Just put my stock/summer wheels and tires back on Max Friday afternoon.  

Gotta say I think I may look on Craigslist for another set of 16" wheels and try to sell the stock 17"ers.

My winter tire widths are 205's and stock is 225's.

Initial impressions just changing the wheels and carrying them to their resting place:  17's are WAY heavier than the 16's.  Though on the plus side they still don't come close to the stupid 18's with Run Flats on our Sienna.

Driving with them, I think part of my initial dislike of some twitchiness in the handling of the C-Max may be attributed to the stock tires.  Once they were back on I noticed it kinda feeling like it was yanking back and forth a touch on some of my country roads.

It also just seems like on occasion the stock tires feel like they have more resistance.  Who knows.

I'll have to see if I can notice any real difference as time goes on, but that's really going to be happenstance at best if I continue driving slower/with N, etc. and with the temps coming from around a 30F average to more like a 60F average...

Still, gotta think the extra weight and extra 80mm combined width has to have some effect...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

Lighter is always better, but from what other people here said on the forum, one guy Pjones I believe, the stock wheels got the best MPG numbers.  I have not tested any other wheels so I don't know.  

Can you weigh one of your 16 inch wheels and post it here?  Put it on a bathroom scale and check it, also try to stand on the scale without it and then with carrying it and check it to make sure both measurements match (wheel by itself and then wheel with you minus your weight).  Next time I rotate my tires at 50k miles I'll weigh mine (stock tires).

How was your speed with the optional wheels?  I mean the speedometer, was it accurate?  With the stock wheels its like 1 to 2 miles per hour off, indicates higher than real in other words 66mph might be 64-65, 38mph might be 37.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 18 April 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:40 AM

Lighter is always better, but from what other people here said on the forum, one guy Pjones I believe, the stock wheels got the best MPG numbers.  I have not tested any other wheels so I don't know.  

Can you weigh one of your wheels and post it here?  Put it on a bathroom scale and check it, also try to stand on the scale without it and then with carrying it and check it to make sure both measurements match.  Next time I rotate my tires at 50k miles I'll weigh mine.

-=>Raja.

Well I think the tires might make more difference in the mileage than the wheels. The compound, tread and width.  Let alone that if you manage not getting the same size overall diameter mpg isn't going to display correctly.  My winter tires are approximately 1% smaller so they should read just a hair higher than usual.

Same with weight as far as that goes, the tires could weigh more or less depending on model.  Let alone as to how LRR they are.

I think the weight comes into play with the more adjustment of speed you're doing.  At a constant speed the weight probably doesn't matter as much.

I'd guess there could be some slight difference in mpg from the actual design of the wheels(I've only assumed that's the reasoning behind the weird plastic rings that make the nice alloy wheels on the prius look considerably more ugly). But I don't get the impression the stock C-Max wheels look like anything designed to be more aerodynamic.

Not sure if I'll get around to actually weighing my own wheels, but according to another owner:

http://fordcmaxhybri...f-c-max-wheels/

The wheels are 22.5lbs.  IIRC looking at Tire Rack when shopping for winter wheels I saw a range from like 16-20lbs each.  But those were 16's I think.  I haven't looked to see the difference in tire weights, but I think Tire Rack likely has those listed as well.

#4 OFFLINE   ecraigsmit

ecraigsmit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

Levi, would like your opinion on tire choice since you were running smaller tires. My stock Michelin's with 48k miles are now getting scary in the rain, never really liked their performance except for the gas mileage (I keep them at 48psi and they roll on forever). Long story short, this past winter I hit a rock on the shoulder avoiding a wrecked minivan that I may not have if the tires hadn't given up all traction in the 1/4" of snow we had. I am thinking of switching to the Continental PureContact w/EcoPlus as they seem to have better performance in all categories other than mileage efficiency. There are a couple of issues that have me from jumping on them though; they weigh 2lbs more per tire and the tread width is .5" more (8.7"). The upsides, other than performance, are the 700 UTQG tread wear compared to the the 480 of the Michelin's and cost $138 vs $186. 

Now to my issue, I see I can get this same tire in the 205/60-16 size for $94.  Knowing that my speedo and trip meter will be slightly off (but actually less so than my fairly worn Michelin's) there are quite a few benefits; the weight drops to 21 lbs (1 lb less than stock) and tread width is 7.3" vs 8.2" stock Michelin's. Now I'll have to get some new rims (try to find something with less weight than the stock rims) but since these tires are half the cost of the Michelin's, weigh less, and have less tread width for when it is snowy (I live in CT), they seem like a good thing.  The downsides are the these are rated 92H instead of 93V, so a little hit on the load capacity (which doesn't really mean a lot to me as you really can't fit much in this car and H rating is good to 130 MPH which I don't think this car can get to) and the fact they have less tread width for when it's not snowy.

I know you were running the smaller snow tires, but how do you think the handling would be with smaller grand touring all season tires? Which direction  would you go; stock Michelin's, 17" Conti's, 16" Conti's or something else all together different?  Thanks in advance for the advice, Craig

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

Ehh...  Now this is a sticky area...  Mainly because I think everyone has different ideas as to how they think their tires should handle, etc...  And without comparing the same set of new tires on the same car, it's going to be difficult to tell...

Here's the thoughts off the top of my head:

I agree, the only real downside to the smaller tires is potentially the weight limit, but as I recall on my winter tires, the capacity difference wasn't much difference...  Maybe around 100lbs?

Unless you get a winter tire that's able to be used all season, I'm not sure there's any that I'd really like in the snow...  My experience is that if you don't have to deal with hills and your roads are generally clear then you'll just be slippery but probably make it on all seasons.  But on my hill, I just can't make it up on them on a few bad days a year.

As far as going narrower/taller(stepping down to 16" wheels)...  My gut feeling is that there might be a bit of a loss of absolute handling on dry pavement but personally I don't generally get the car up to the point where the tires are squealing and they are starting to lose grip around corners.  If you do, I'd stay with the full width.  I'll also say that my personal opinion was that I think I actually liked the handling with the winter tires better even on dry stuff.  But that's more of a factor of how the car felt than whether it could pull 1G around a corner.

I'm not entirely sure which would wear faster...  I can see reasoning for either narrower or wider and the extra tire height/composition having an impact as well.

Otherwise I think the narrower is going to be better with more PSI for the tire on the road for any loose stuff on the road and less friction for better mpg...

So what are my plans?  

I haven't gotten searched too far into it since my summer tires are still holding quite a bit of tread.

But...  depending on what I find...

I'm pretty sure I'd at least go down to a 215/17...

If weight capacity and the wheels seem fine with 205's then I'd quite likely lean to 205/17's as well.

If I had someone that wanted to buy my 17's and/or a good deal on a set of alloy 16's I'd be looking at those pretty solidly as well...  I'd consider a 215/16 as well as a 205/16...

Sorry I don't have any better info, I just haven't looked into it that much.  I just had the snow tires on for maybe a month or so.  All I can tell you is that I had no problems with them at all and I rather think I liked them better in all respects than my summer tires/wheels...

#6 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

If I had someone that wanted to buy my 17's and/or a good deal on a set of alloy 16's I'd be looking at those pretty solidly as well...  I'd consider a 215/16 as well as a 205/16...

Check some local junkyards.  I just picked up a set of these 16" Focus Wheels that will fit the C-Max for $50 a wheel. I'll use them with my Bridgestone Blizzaks.

K.jpg

https://www.hollande...spokes,-painted

Edited by RubyMax, 08 August 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, IIRC I think I picked up my set of 16" alloy Taurus wheels with almost new tires for maybe $300.  There are some good deals out there, I just haven't looked much lately for them.

Our Sienna is the vehicle that needs tires more immediately and those are just stupid expensive.  Would really rather trade the 18" wheels for 17's.

#8 OFFLINE   ecraigsmit

ecraigsmit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

Did some more digging and think I'll go with the Continintal PureContact w/Eco in size 215/50R17, put them on my existing wheels, keep the TPMS sensors.  I believe these will be a good compromise.  Same weight as stock Michelins, close diameter (these are 1.5% smaller), slightly smaller tread width (8" vs 8.2"), higher load capacity and keeps the V speed rating though I'll never need it. I'm sure ECO mileage will suffer a little but they retain the 51psi max inflation pressure so can still pump them up. Wear rating is higher but I never put much faith in it, slight misalignment and its gone anyway.  Much higher rated tire for rain/snow/noise.  Will feel much safer when caught at work and have to drive though the initial stages of snow storms to get home.  Hell, will fell much safer just driving in the rain again.  Would have liked to have some lighter wheels but just can't justify the additional cost, especially if I want to get them from TireRack all mounted and balanced (need to add new TPMS sensors at $42ea and then reprogramming).  Could have done the 16" tires with wheels all said and done for just over $900 but now can get this done locally for just under $600 and don't have to deal with selling or storing the old wheels.

#9 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, that's kinda my feelings on the wheels...  I might rather do it, but It's going to be some hassle to sell the old ones, etc...

Why do you think the mileage may suffer?  If these are also Eco's and a bit narrower, seems like that should be less resistance.  Let alone being 1.5% smaller they should at least *look* like they're doing better. (:  

But then you've got the usual losses of gaining all that extra rubber on new tires so who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·