Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Some good mileage can be had.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:32 AM

So I played around taking some leisurely drives and sure enough some good mileage can be had with the following stipulations:

-No other traffic around

-You've got lots of time on your hands

The basics of my methodology were:

-have the cruise set to around 25mph or less

-downhills where I can use the speed shift to N

-downhills with sharp turns or stops at the bottom go for L

-D/eco cruise at 24mph is pretty much for uphills and things mostly flat-ish.

Oh, also I've found using Google Maps and choosing the bike route is about the most eco friendly route.  It seems to aim for distance and elevation.  it will also show you the elevation.

So I did a trail race this weekend 24 miles away.  Looks like it's around 1200' of uphill(and down) both ways on the route I took.

On the way over, I did find one spot near the beginning where apparently I did clear 100% and did have the ICE kick in for engine performance.  I let it finish off it's un-needed routine of warming up a bit.  Other than that I managed to scrape in to the start line with about half the hybrid battery left and not actually starting up the ICE.

I guess it did consider 3 of those miles as being on gas and I only got 99MPGe.  Oh...  I forgot I did actually keep the cruise more like 45mph on that way...

On the return trip I was entirely in hybrid mode and I think there were only maybe 3 or 4 miles where a van came up behind me and I accelerated to 40 or 55mph a bit.  Otherwise I was SLOW.  It says I did 16.7 of 23.4 miles on EV and got 58MPGe.  Now that's impressive.  Though for that matter I never actually put that much effort into my Prius to see what it would do...

It's a shame the shortest route to/from work for me is over dirt and seasonal roads.  I literally run the rear wiper with no washer fluid and the dirt just wipes off in dust clouds.  But between the shorter distance(meaning less time on gas on the return trip) and this laxidaisical driving I managed 167mpge on the way in and 70mpge on the way home.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:44 AM

25 mph is just too slow, unless you're on a dirt road then that's about right I wouldn't want to go much past that due to dirt and dust with rocks kicking up.  On paved roads try 38mph with the Cmax, its a good balance with getting there and netting a good MPGe number in EV mode.  If you're hard up for range you could slow a bit to the mid 30's, like 33 to 35mph, if you have battery to spare I go with 38.  You can still get a 99 driving score with that speed, if you go over 40mph you won't any more.  Ideally I believe the most efficient speed in EV mode to be around 35mph.

I would skip using N unless you're hard up for range (again), otherwise just use hill decent and/or L to hold the speed from breaking through 39 down hills.  On the uphill side remove cruise and power up like 1 1/2 to 2 bars, not more, and let the speed slow from 38 down to 30 instead of letting the cruise go 2 1/4 bars to maintain 38 going uphill.  When you get over the top don't accelerate too fast, let the hill speed you up slowly with your power at 1 bar, once you get to 35-36mph, re-engage cruise (not engage cruise from 30 as you don't want it to get there to 38 fast).

I also disengage cruise as the car is cresting a shallow hill, and it will overshoot the speed on the other side (with a slight downhill) and then re-engage it once the initial hill effect is gone.  Better to maintain speed than to go faster and slow back down (if you're sticking with D and not using N), I tested a whole battery pack going up and down the same hill like 10 times to see what is most efficient, and turns out using L or hill assist to maintain the speed closest to 38 was the best.  D let the car run away downhill to 45-48mph, hill assist let it speed up to around 40, and shifting to L and then using hill assist while going back to D and then off on hill assist was the best (kept the car at 38mph all the way down the hill.  Car went the furthest after that on a level road with the same energy used in the trip meter.

Its a chore, but if you want to run these tests charge the battery full, go to a start point, reset the trip meter, and go up and hill and down the other side and drive and stop when you reach 0.5 kwh used for example.  Then go back to the start point, reset the trip meter and do it differently and stop when you reach 0.5 kwh used.  Then go back and do it again.  You'll find that one way you will go the furthest with 0.5kwh used than other ways.  The 0.5kwh will vary based on your hill length and steepness, etc.  Maybe in your case might be 0.8 or 1kwh, whatever it is, repeat the test and see which way takes you the furthest with the same energy used.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 18 April 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#3 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

25 mph is just too slow, unless you're on a dirt road then that's about right I wouldn't want to go much past that due to dirt and dust with rocks kicking up.  On paved roads try 38mph with the Cmax, its a good balance with getting there and netting a good MPGe number in EV mode.  If you're hard up for range you could slow a bit to the mid 30's, like 33 to 35mph, if you have battery to spare I go with 38.  You can still get a 99 driving score with that speed, if you go over 40mph you won't any more.  Ideally I believe the most efficient speed in EV mode to be around 35mph.

I would skip using N unless you're hard up for range (again), otherwise just use hill decent and/or L to hold the speed from breaking through 39 down hills.  On the uphill side remove cruise and power up like 1 1/2 to 2 bars, not more, and let the speed slow from 38 down to 30 instead of letting the cruise go 2 1/4 bars to maintain 38 going uphill.  When you get over the top don't accelerate too fast, let the hill speed you up slowly with your power at 1 bar, once you get to 35-36mph, re-engage cruise (not engage cruise from 30 as you don't want it to get there to 38 fast).

I also disengage cruise as the car is cresting a shallow hill, and it will overshoot the speed on the other side (with a slight downhill) and then re-engage it once the initial hill effect is gone.  Better to maintain speed than to go faster and slow back down (if you're sticking with D and not using N), I tested a whole battery pack going up and down the same hill like 10 times to see what is most efficient, and turns out using L or hill assist to maintain the speed closest to 38 was the best.  D let the car run away downhill to 45-48mph, hill assist let it speed up to around 40, and shifting to L and then using hill assist while going back to D and then off on hill assist was the best (kept the car at 38mph all the way down the hill.  Car went the furthest after that on a level road with the same energy used in the trip meter.

Its a chore, but if you want to run these tests charge the battery full, go to a start point, reset the trip meter, and go up and hill and down the other side and drive and stop when you reach 0.5 kwh used for example.  Then go back to the start point, reset the trip meter and do it differently and stop when you reach 0.5 kwh used.  Then go back and do it again.  You'll find that one way you will go the furthest with 0.5kwh used than other ways.  The 0.5kwh will vary based on your hill length and steepness, etc.  Maybe in your case might be 0.8 or 1kwh, whatever it is, repeat the test and see which way takes you the furthest with the same energy used.

-=>Raja.

Definitely depends on your scenario.  Around here there's really nothing flat.  Just some hills that are very minor.  And plenty that are not.  I find Neutral provides some pretty large benefits on the bigger sections of rolling hills(On the route I'm currently taking to work I can switch to N at the crest of the hill and accelerate to around 70 or so mph, crest the next hill at close to 50mph, then clear 60mph when I'm starting up the next up hill.  Maybe a mile or two, all in Neutral.  Leaving it in D would result in more energy wasted one way or another.  

I agree 25mph is pretty slow, but it seems to result in quite good mileage and around here that still uses 2 bars of power to go up the hills.  I *think* 1 bar would get me over the hills, but I'm not sure.  If so, it would be at like less than 10mph.  That's generally a bit slower than I'd prefer.  (:

Not quite sure what you mean about disengaging cruise as you crest a hill...  I must be missing what you're describing...  You'd either be talking about a steep down hill where the cruise wouldn't have any effect anyway...  Or a shallow downhill where the cruise would be keeping the speed up....  And in that case I can't see why you wouldn't want it at least as fast as you would on the flat sections...

• ptjones likes this

#4 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

Hehe, finally cleared 200.  201mpge for the trip in to work this morning!

• bschwerdt likes this

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

VERY good.  That's equivalent to getting over 30 miles per charge!

-=>Raja.

#6 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:45 AM

Only 198mpge this morning.  Though I still arrived at work with 66% charge left.

There are also some "interesting" things with the battery percentage...

So I had 66% charge when I got to work yesterday.

Then drove 1.5 miles to the grocery store.  Given I did gently accelerate to 45mph for a bit, but still it dropped 10% in charge.

Better yet, so it read about 55% when I shut the car off at the store.  When I got back and turned it on to head home it dropped to like 46% before I even started driving...

I wonder just how accurate that percentage is...

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:26 AM

Yes, that's normal.  You lose battery "charge" when the battery cools off.  It comes into play sometimes when things are critical.  For example, me driving to Needham in the dead of winter 20 miles, I stopped at Panera bread to have breakfast.  Getting out less than an hour later the rest of the miles were gone I was at 1/2 a hybrid battery.  When I pulled into Panera I had 2 miles left.  So, if I had driven the 2 miles to the charger directly I would have made it with a full hybrid battery, stopping caused the battery to cool down, transmission, etc in the cold weather and I didn't make it, had to start the engine for a mile.

Also you will find if you park you car and the next day its alot hotter, the % can go up.  If its alot colder, it can go down.  I've seen variation from 55 down to 46% exactly as you say when one day was a hotter day like let's day 70, and the next day the temps crashed the night before and it was like 45F.  I've also seen the opposite, 55 going up to 63% for example when the next day is 95F.

Its accurate enough if you use the car from A to Z, but if you use it from A-M and then try to go from N to Z the recalculation of the charge might put you at S-Z, not always, but sometimes depending on the conditions.

Its based on the battery pack voltage, and it can change up or down from resting cold and hot weather, but, its not going to change while in use.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 20 April 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   rafacq

rafacq

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDallas
  • Current Vehicle:Oxford White CMAX Energy

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

No MPGe display for me.  Here is my commute to work this morning.  Driving about 3.5 miles at 60mph on the freeway.

Cannot paste an image here so converting to text:

• Trip - 5 miles
  • EV miles - 5 miles (100% EV)
  • Energy 1.1kWh
  • Fuel economy - 146.2MPG (no idea how to calculate MPGe)
  • Brake score - 99%
  • Driving score - 85

It is 5.9 to drive back, thus my weeks are mostly 100% EV.  Sure wish I could find how many miles on the ICE.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

If you drove 5 miles 100% EV, then your net 146 is actually MPGe not MPG, its just mislabeled due to the software hack.  Sad part is, you can't change it between MPG and MPGe as you used to be able to do - the car's original design had alot of cool features, that's why I love my 2013 and would never want to buy the more recent versions.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 22 April 2016 - 06:48 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

No MPGe display for me.  Here is my commute to work this morning.  Driving about 3.5 miles at 60mph on the freeway.

Cannot paste an image here so converting to text:

• Trip - 5 miles
  • EV miles - 5 miles (100% EV)
  • Energy 1.1kWh
  • Fuel economy - 146.2MPG (no idea how to calculate MPGe)
  • Brake score - 99%
  • Driving score - 85

It is 5.9 to drive back, thus my weeks are mostly 100% EV.  Sure wish I could find how many miles on the ICE.

That is interesting, my guages show 999 for MPG on an "all EV" trip.

• rafacq likes this

#11 OFFLINE   rafacq

rafacq

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationDallas
  • Current Vehicle:Oxford White CMAX Energy

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

That is interesting, my guages show 999 for MPG on an "all EV" trip.

My NRG shows 999.9 on the dash left display also, its the MFM that shows the 146.2. The information I posted came from MFM.  I tried to insert an image of the MFM screen but the forum said I could not do it.

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

I am a premium member and have seen others post images in other communities, not sure why this one is this way!

#12 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

My NRG shows 999.9 on the dash left display also, its the MFM that shows the 146.2. The information I posted came from MFM.  I tried to insert an image of the MFM screen but the forum said I could not do it.

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

I am a premium member and have seen others post images in other communities, not sure why this one is this way!

To post an image from MFM I take a screen shot and save it as a jpg. I have had no problem attaching those images to a post using the advanced editor.

#13 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

Guess I'm doing something right. I've been messing around doing Uber the last 2 weeks a few days here and there. My mileage has been just climbing without fail. I would say I'm doing about a 50/50 mix of streets and freeways. And here is the proof of my mileage. I've been using ev later and other than that pretty much trying to stay in EV whenever possible. Here is a pic of MFM. Just filled up tonight.

Attached Files

Edited by astrand1, 21 July 2016 - 04:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·