Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Sleeping. in a c max

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pippin65

pippin65

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Locationfla
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:subaru ob

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:53 AM

Say you have 10 miles left on the hvb and you stop at a rest stop and nap with the climate control on, downtime lvb take a hit?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

Of course, if you leave the power on climate or not the HVB is going to drain down.  Faster if you have climate on, and the engine might start if the temperature is in the 30's or lower for sure if using heat.  AC doesn't need the engine but will go through the HVB slowly.  You can plug in the car to sleep and maintain the HVB.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

I know the question is a hypothetical but if you have 10 miles left what difference is it going to make, you are not 0 minutes from home so will be going to hybrid or ICE very shortly?  

Better to plan your long route to find places where you can charge and rest.  

I have blood sugar issues and sometimes driving home from work (26 miles) I cannot keep my eyes open, I pull over and take a short nap, never think about will my mileage drop by 2 MPG, it is a matter of driving safely, usually a 15-20 minute nap and I am good to drive home.

• jzchen and ptjones like this

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

Komondor, not sure what you mean?  He didn't say how close he was to home, just said he had about 1/2 the hvb left (10 miles) and wondered what would happen to it if he stopped to nap and left the car on, that's all I read there.

But I like the idea that if you need to stop to nap or rest or whatever that you stop somewhere that will allow you to plug in the car while there.  This way you could even run the AC and/or heat and still be able to maintain the HVB and charge it some more back up.

-=>Raja.

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 435 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

what I am saying is if you have 10 miles left and drive the 10 then rest you won't run down the HVB.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Ok I understand what you mean now, but sure you will in this case the engine will start to recharge the HVB while you're running it down, so instead of burning battery only you'll burn fuel and battery.

Best thing to do is stop somewhere and plug-in.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 09 April 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

Say you have 10 miles left on the hvb and you stop at a rest stop and nap with the climate control on, downtime lvb take a hit?

I had a recent trip where this happened. It was 3:30 AM and I needed to stop. I meant to put the car into EV Now and use the heater, but forgot. I vaguely remember the engine coming on about three times in the two hour nap I got.

You have two choices. Put it in EV now and run the HVAC off battery, in which case it will do as much as possible before engaging the engine, or leaving it in EV Later, which will definitely cycle the engine off and on.

As I said, I planned on using EV Now, since the rest of my trip was highway anyway. But at that time of the morning, I just forgot.

#8 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:13 AM

Not entirely sure I follow your question.

If the car is "on" as in it's in a mode ready to be driven(the green car is showing in the gauges) but you're in Park with the climate control on then no the low voltage battery would not take a hit.  It would remain constant at it's charged state.  It would just be your high voltage battery and/or gas that would be used.

#9 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

Silly question, found this via google search, has anyone taken a nap in their C-Max Energi while plugged into a public L2 station?  I am planning to do this on March (long story short, wife & kids are flying down to Orlando, I'm driving to & fro to save a few bucks/avoid having to rent a car and avoid cramped airline seating and hey, getting away from the family for 20 hours or so can be relaxing!)

I've played with a "bug-out mode" for my Focus Electric, basically turn the car "on" but keep headlights off, turn off the SYNC 3 screen, not much more you can do there besides use an eye mask, I'm assuming the C-Max Energi can do something similar.  I wonder if the LED strips in the headlamps stay on perpetually?

Edited by spirilis, 01 February 2018 - 07:55 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

Sure, you can sleep in it while plugged in.  On the 2017 version, they changed the programming in the fact that the heat won't run while plugged in but there is a work around.  Its weird, if you plug in and turn on the heat, it will consume all the energy and warm up the antifreeze, but it will only blow cold air out.  How stupid is that, the 2013 worked no problem.

The workaround for the 2017 model is to power the car up, turn on the heat, and THEN plug it in.  If you plug it in first or you power cycle it while plugged in the heat will not work, at least in mine.  Anyone else try this?

Going back to your question, turn on the heat if needed or AC, then plug in the car and you will be powered up and comfortable inside.  You will need to turn off the sync screen with Sync 3 to reduce the light, but the front led strips will stay on regardless - they only go off if you turn on the headlights, otherwise they are on with or without parking lights.

-=>Raja.

• spirilis likes this

#11 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

Sure, you can sleep in it while plugged in.  On the 2017 version, they changed the programming in the fact that the heat won't run while plugged in but there is a work around.  Its weird, if you plug in and turn on the heat, it will consume all the energy and warm up the antifreeze, but it will only blow cold air out.  How stupid is that, the 2013 worked no problem.

The workaround for the 2017 model is to power the car up, turn on the heat, and THEN plug it in.  If you plug it in first or you power cycle it while plugged in the heat will not work, at least in mine.  Anyone else try this?

Going back to your question, turn on the heat if needed or AC, then plug in the car and you will be powered up and comfortable inside.  You will need to turn off the sync screen with Sync 3 to reduce the light, but the front led strips will stay on regardless - they only go off if you turn on the headlights, otherwise they are on with or without parking lights.

-=>Raja.

Shoot that's pretty important, good I asked!  Thanks.  The front LED strips won't bother me too much just maybe calls attention to my car (won't have shade on the side windows but, I did just order a front windshield shade)... I guess I should also read up if there are "laws against" sleeping in your car in some places.  Wonder if there's a fuse or relay I can pull to disable them?

Edited by spirilis, 01 February 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   energi77

energi77

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationFraser Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX energi

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:34 AM

Had a nap in mine last Tuesday, the seat heaters work while plugged in, but the HVAC only blows cold air.

Next week I'll try fiddling around with go times to see if that works, because they defiantly heat the cabin.

On a public charger be mindful of the time limit, the ones I typically use cut off the juice after 4 hours, and are in high demand at peak times.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:23 AM

Had a nap in mine last Tuesday, the seat heaters work while plugged in, but the HVAC only blows cold air.

Read what I said above.  If you want to use the heat while plugged in with a 2017, you need to turn the car on, turn the heat on, and THEN plug in the car.

If while plugged in you turn the car off, or turn the heat off and back on, it will only blow cold air.  Its a stupid setup in my opinion, because the 2013 always worked never blew cold air, but on the 2017's you need to have the heat on already before plugging in and then it will blow warm air.  Try it and report back let me know if it works for you.

I did this last night, and it was 15F outside.  I had the heat on 67F and it was so cold outside that it was still draining the battery slowly with the heat on.  If it was 30F I think electric heat can manage while plugged into 240v, but below 20F its not enough power from the charger to maintain the car's HWB though it does slow down the discharge by 9 amps on average.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 03 February 2018 - 07:25 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 458 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:47 AM

Read what I said above.  If you want to use the heat while plugged in with a 2017, you need to turn the car on, turn the heat on, and THEN plug in the car.

If while plugged in you turn the car off, or turn the heat off and back on, it will only blow cold air.  Its a stupid setup in my opinion, because the 2013 always worked never blew cold air, but on the 2017's you need to have the heat on already before plugging in and then it will blow warm air.  Try it and report back let me know if it works for you.

I did this last night, and it was 15F outside.  I had the heat on 67F and it was so cold outside that it was still draining the battery slowly with the heat on.  If it was 30F I think electric heat can manage while plugged into 240v, but below 20F its not enough power from the charger to maintain the car's HWB though it does slow down the discharge by 9 amps on average.

-=>Raja.

This is what I was going to note.  Even on Level 2 (our Leviton is rated up to 40 A), the A/C/heat can drain the HVB some, ie. in very hot or very cold weather, noticed it after getting in after remote start.

#15 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:57 AM

Yep... if I were to go back in time and interrupt the engineers at Ford while developing the product, I would have added "Please put the charger up front and make it liquid-cooled and 6.6kW capable!  Same as Focus Electric!"

The Focus Electric rocks some serious heating during GO Times even in 5F weather (w/ JuiceBox 40A plugged in).

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

The Focus Electric rocks some serious heating during GO Times even in 5F weather (w/ JuiceBox 40A plugged in).

They can't do EVERYTHING, you have to pick and choose what you want to get .  This is because the battery is 3x bigger and can accept double the charge rate.

The cmax has a smaller battery but a huge gas tank, you can go 700 miles on one fillup easily during warm weather and efficient driving.  The smaller battery is intended for short trips and city streets, and if you choose how to use it piecemeal you can double your MPG for the trip depending on the distance traveled.

You have to think about it logically, 

-=>Raja.

#17 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

It's a moot point since the C-Max is already what it is, but I doubt the C-Max battery would choke on a 6.6kW charge. If so the charge rate could be trimmed in concert with battery temperature (with extra charge capacity usable for HVAC as needed). IMO the faster charge would make it even more useful for short trips since you can accept up to 2x the amount of power for a given short-term charge (plugging in for 20min to shop for groceries could return some 40% of the battery).

Mitsubishi got this idea right with the CHAdeMO on the Outlander PHEV.

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:53 AM

The problem with the fast charge with the Cmax bit many people in the butt. The reason being is that the Cmax wasn't designed as an electric vehicle only but many people started using it to drive 100% electric all the time.  Go out, fast charge, come home fast charge, go out fast charge, etc.  Some people drove as many as 80 EV miles per day without using the engine and that backfired in the fact that it overheated the battery due to constant charge and discharge.  

With air cooling the battery can handle such a feat better when its freezing out, but in the summer its not possible without damaging the battery.  Not having a 240v charger at home helps to prevent you from such actions (several in and out trips a day) and in turn helps make the battery last longer.

The CMax has two complete propulsion systems, an ICE with a full tank of gas, and a battery with an electric motor.  Its pretty loaded there isn't alot of room left in it I think ford kept it more simple with air cooling for the battery.  Works OK for occasional use and the correct thinking about when to use the battery and when to not, but if you want to drive 100% electric all the time its not the best choice for you.

Like I said you couldn't have it both ways, but if you learn how to take advantage of how you can you can have a car that nets close to 70mpg with all your driving and its pretty hard to beat.

I love mine so much I bought a 2nd one couldn't be without this car.

-=>Raja.

• spirilis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·