Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Energi HV Battery Replaced Under Warranty

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSilicon Valley, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 300A

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

I know I've not been the only one with low battery capacity so I wanted to let the others know that it is possible to get an HV battery replaced under warranty if you have a supportive dealer. My C-Max Energi is 3 years old and 56K miles. Over a period of a few months the battery capacity dropped to and stayed at 4.2KWH and 14m maximum range. It took a few months but I worked with the amazing guys at Ford Store Morgan Hill, especially the lead mechanic Mike Mead, who convinced Ford to ship a new battery under warranty. They installed it today. Couldn't be happier!
Attached File  IMG_20160331_205453.jpg   143.04KB   11 downloads
  • viajero, hybridbear, Smiling Jack and 6 others like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

That's just Awesome mipmapped!!  I hope some day to get a 2nd life out of my battery as well, heck, I'd drive out to California if that's the place to do it...!

Just out of curiosity, how did you treat your battery over the past 3 years?  When did the battery drop down and how long ago was that?

-=>Raja.

• miboje likes this

#3 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

For half its life I was on mostly battery in town for the work week, using most of the charge each day, and some longer trips at the weekend. For the last year and a half my commute is 32m freeway each way and I charge at 220V at home (at off peak hours) and 110V at work. It degraded pretty fast towards the end of last year. It's hard to be sure but I'm guessing in a couple of months. I don't make any effort to do any abnormal battery life extension exercises, I just charge and go.

Edited by mipmapped, 31 March 2016 - 09:36 PM.

• miboje likes this

#4 OFFLINE   epic

epic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationburnet ,texas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energI

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:09 AM

prior to new battery how many miles would you achieve on the full charge?how many would  the car estimate at start of trip?

• miboje likes this

#5 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:03 AM

About 14. The car would estimate 12-16, climate off.

Edited by mipmapped, 04 April 2016 - 05:39 AM.

• miboje likes this

#6 OFFLINE   sandra

sandra

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationquebec
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energi

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

I just bought a 2015 Energi, with 40,000km. I'm getting 22km on full charge. That seems low to me. I figure it should still be up around 28-30km range.

#7 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:24 AM

That's not low if you have the cabin heater on. What is the KWH discharge? It should show when you turn off the car or in myfordmobile. You can use the seat heater instead to get better range. Or on a longer journey use the ICE (engine) at the start of the trip to warm up the cabin heater first.
  • sandra likes this

#8 OFFLINE   littlelibo

littlelibo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationPlano
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:11 AM

My Fusion Energi is about three years old with 32,000 miles. I am now only getting 4.3 - 4.5 kwh when fully charged and charging only takes 1 hour 40 minutes when it used to take over 2 hours. I took the car in yesterday. When I picked up the car in the afternoon, they said all their tests went fine and that they could not find a problem. Instead they quoted me a "Special Service Message" #45684 which talks only of EV range variables due to temperature, driving style, tires, etc. They seem to be saying that range is variable and too bad.

This in no way answers the concern of battery capacity. I get that range is variable, but for the capacity to drop from 5.8 kwh to 4.3 is not normal. @mipmapped how did you get them to test the capacity?

• Tom_NC_1 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:02 AM

It took a few visits to the dealer. The first time I got a similar response that you received (no error codes - no problem), so I went back. They then applied SSM 44918 and "reset the lifetime summary", which did nothing. It just resets the computer's estimate of the range. You have to press your case on the KWH, not the range. I believe the dealer then got involved with the battery group at Ford. They asked me to take photos of the dashboard before and after trips to show the energy use. They then ran the "road test with IDS connected" and sent the data to Ford and Ford agreed "the battery is bad" (quote from the dealer) and approved the replacement. I believe the replacement is via the battery warranty not my extended warranty but I can't be sure. It took a few weeks to be delivered. The lead mechanic, Mike Mead, told me they had only replaced one battery before, I believe that was due to a connector burnout on a new vehicle. And this dealership probably sells more electric Fords than any other.

Mike Mead did tell me those with this issue can call him. Look up Ford Store Morgan Hill. Maybe he will regret this now... I'm pretty sure if you could get the car to this dealership they would help you.

#10 OFFLINE   littlelibo

littlelibo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationPlano
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

Thanks. I will reach out to Mike Mead soon. As for my end, I will probably start building a better case. Were you tracking your kwh on charging (with some kind of metered charging station) or via the logged usage when driving? I want to be armed to show the lower capacity. 

#11 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

I did send Mike screen shots of the myfordmobile trip and charge logs, which show kWh usage. You could do the same or print them out. I also told him that my home charger reported similar charge kWh but I don't think that information is necessary to convince Ford.

#12 OFFLINE   Gmdeacon

Gmdeacon

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for this info.  I've got about 55,000 miles on my Energi now and the most I'm getting out of the battery is 3.9-4.0 kWh.  Looks like I'll need to make an appointment with my dealer.

#13 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:27 AM

Has anyone else been successful in getting an HVB replacement like mipmapped? I wonder if Ford will change their policy if a number of owners start reporting the same issue. Good job by mipmapped to get a new HVB!!

#14 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

Finally did the test today. I wanted to run on fairly level ground so reset the trip meter at the bottom of the hill. Touchscreen said 100%, OBD shows the actual battery charge at 95.33% and a battery to empty estimate of 6800 watts, battery temperature at start was 20C (68F).

Trip was done a highway between 55 and 60 mph. When it switched over to hybrid it had gone 31km (19.2miles) and used 4.4kWh. At that point the actual battery charge was 23.28% with a battery temperature of 28C (82F).

#15 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

Though numbers are very similar to my own. I get about 4.4kWh per charge and see about 95% at a full charge per the ScanGauge. The range for the battery to empty is an estimate And may not be all that useful a measurement. So it looks like your HVB has lost about 1kWh of capacity.

Tom

#16 OFFLINE   Gmdeacon

Gmdeacon

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

So I finally made it to the dealer.  Did not go well.  All the dealer did was hook up the car to the computer and said everything was OK becuase there were no error codes.  He also said that if I was using only 4 kWh then I was driving more efficiently and using less energy.  I tried to get my point that this was the total capacity for the battery from full to empty, not how efficiently I was driving, but the Service Advisor wasn't really understanding.  They handed me SSM 45751 which basically says driving habits will affect range and that they didn't see any thing wrong with the battery.

I pushed the issue some more on how they would determine if the battery had lost capacity.  The Service Advisor said that the next test they would need to do would be to reset the range computer and do multiple road tests resetting it each time, and recharging the battery each time.  I said that was what I thought they were going to do they day I took it in.  Looks like I'm going to need to take it in again.

Greg

#17 OFFLINE   bsheaffer

bsheaffer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

I have the same problem - 2013 CMax Energi with about 42k miles; I get about 4.2kwhr per full charge. The only "good" part is that it only takes 1.5 hours to charge on 220 (4 hours on 110). I have about 54 mile round-trip commute for work - mostly highway. I used to get about 24-26 miles out of a full charge, keeping my top speed below 60, sticking to the right lane, and accelerating slowly. To a tank, I'd average about 220 mpg. Now, I manage 17-20 miles to a charge with a tank around 130mpg. And I'm much more conservative to get that number (and I wish I had known how to be this conservative before!).

I don't know when, exactly, the capacity started to decline. Last summer or so, but I figured it was just the summer heat, and my mileage would get better when the weather cooled. Then I saw the threads and tracking my actual kwhr.

I've been "working" with my Dealer's Service group since around December/January. Not much help there. My dealership wasn't "electric certified" when I bought - I didn't even know that was a thing (they certainly didn't mention it). Don't get me wrong, I like my service guys; they're good guys. But they still don't understand kwhr vs. the mile estimate on the screen. They were very impressed with the 20 mpg estimate on the display. They've plugged the car into the computer, found no errors, and sent me on my way. I persisted, so they forwarded the issue to "Ford Central"... who told me 1) pay no attention to the estimated mileage (which I wasn't), 2) reset the lifetime data and come back if it estimates 14 or less (wait - you said pay no attention to the estimate), and 3) the car is expected to get about 21 miles electric (so good on me for getting 20). I can get the estimate to read 14, that's easy - just drive "normally".

I talked with Mike Mead (he's not that far from me, so I was willing to bring it down if he'd see it). He was helpful in that he gave me advice ("Keep nagging Ford"), but he didn't think he'd be much more help: he'd have to go through exactly the same thing my service guys are/will: They can't run the "real" test (whatever that is) without Ford Central's say-so. They don't even know what the test is!

So now, I'm trying to do what I can. I'll start nagging Ford Central myself. Calling the 800 number and making some noise. I'm not optimistic. I really feel let down by Ford and their support of the CMax. I like my car, but Ford doesn't seem to. They don't advertise the CMax (at least, not here in the Bay Area), they don't support their electric vehicles, and they don't even seem to understand them.

I know batteries degrade. Maybe I should be happy that I've only lost 25-26%. I'm not. If everybody's car degraded this quickly, electric vehicles wouldn't sell. Even other CMax Energis aren't degrading like this.

The rate probably won't hold steady, but by year 6 with this car... well, I might as well have bought a plug-in prius.

Brian

#18 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

This in no way answers the concern of battery capacity. I get that range is variable, but for the capacity to drop from 5.8 kwh to 4.3 is not normal.

Where does the 5.8 kwh figure come from? And is the Fusion battery same as Cmax? I have been trying to find where Ford specifies HV battery capacity on these cars but can't seem to find it. My Energi is down to 4.1 kwh when I exhaust its charge, so I'm thinking warranty for mine too. 

#19 OFFLINE   itsZACyo

itsZACyo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:09 AM

I've taken my Energi into my local dealership 4 times now over the course of 2 years and they continue to say they "need to run more tests" currently at the dealership now. I've had the vehicle for 3 years and can barely get 4.2 kwh. I'm having the same problem of the guys at the dealership not understanding capacity vs range. I finally contacted Ford Motor Company and the dealership is now on 3 weeks of tests they have been assigned to run by the Ford Motor Company engineering department, or what they call "The Hotline" hoping today they finally understand the battery should not degrade this quickly. I'll update later. Finally glad I found this thread and seeing people who are having the exact same issue and getting the exact same kwh.

#20 OFFLINE   David Burnett

David Burnett

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationflorida
  • Current Vehicle:energi

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

I am at 32k miles and 4.0kwh max. The car is in shop for a week now for second time, they are waiting for ford.

Ford is going to have a big problem on their hands if this problem is widespread. We are just the first model year owners beginning to notice that there is a real problem. They are also defrauding government and cheating emissions and fleet mpg averages if their batteries only last two years.

Edited by David Burnett, 09 September 2016 - 11:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·