Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tough Shopping in NC

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

The C-Max has a smaller turning radius yet and while I don't have any problems with the handling, I do recall it taking some getting used to and I think it still feels like the most "darty" yet.  I know it's supposed to have sportier handling than the Prius, and I'm no stranger to performance suspension on some of my earlier cars, but I just doesn't instill confidence in me.  But like I said, overall I've no problems with it.

Well, the C-Max turns worse than my Ford Escape Hybrid I owned before it. Bewildering to me, but there it is.

• ptjones likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

Ahh, so your prior Ford experience was actually a Mazda.  (:

Interesting.  I had a 2002 Prius, the same generation as your 2002.  I LOVED that car's tight turning radius.  It could just about do a U-turn in a single lane.

I never had any complaints about that car's handling.

I found my 2004(the next gen) to be similarly fine.  Though in high winds on the highway there were times when it felt a bit darty.  It had a smaller turning radius though.

The C-Max has a smaller turning radius yet and while I don't have any problems with the handling, I do recall it taking some getting used to and I think it still feels like the most "darty" yet.  I know it's supposed to have sportier handling than the Prius, and I'm no stranger to performance suspension on some of my earlier cars, but I just doesn't instill confidence in me.  But like I said, overall I've no problems with it.

I had forgotten, but there were some bad steering racks on those 1.5G Prius'.  I wonder if there was something making yours a bit twitchy?  Or for that matter, have you ever replaced the struts and springs?

Hello Levi Smith,

Just to clarify, I don't have any problem with the car's turning radius.  I really like that attribute, it can make a U-turn on a two lane road with feet to spare.  The steering ratio is a different matter.  Two rotations of the steering wheel take it from one stop to the other, as opposed to three for most cars.  So the amount that the front wheels turn for a given sweep of the steering wheel is 50% greater than the majority of vehicles on the road.

I'm not saying this is wrong, bad, or even detrimental.  That's a value judgement, and also a matter of taste.  If a pack of tissues falls on the floor and you decide to reach for it, you need to be aware that the tiny amount that the wheel moves in your other hand is going too have greater consequences than it would in your wife's car, or the one you rented in Austin last month.  I don't notice it on local trips around town, but it makes long drives in bad weather more fatiguing.

I started looking online for a car buyer's broker today, to see if it could make getting a car from out of state less of a hassle.  Turns out that's very hard to find using web searching.  A lot of car dealers call themselves brokers, and they fill up many pages of results.  Does anyone know how to look for them?  

Thanks again, very much.

Scott C.

#23 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

I live in NY and have bought the majority of my cars out of state. Never used a broker.

Can't say it's every been too terribly difficult, but it is a bit more work than just going to the dealer down the road. I think...

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

I have bought a few cars out of state and was not a problem when buying from a dealer.    I just tried out my steering wheel and it is basically two turns, It sure seemed like my Daughter's 2011 Prius did three turns and could turn sharper than my CMAX. :smile2:

Paul

#25 OFFLINE   ScottChi

ScottChi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCary, NC USA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

For the record, I have a white 303A with glass roof as of early last week.  I drove up to Alexandria VA to check it out and get a test drive.  It had been on the lot there since December (at least), and they were willing to deal.

I've already driven it up to DC and back, and am finding it quite enjoyable.  

#26 OFFLINE   PeteNRG

PeteNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

I did my deal in VA too - my sticker was $36,900 - after discount I paid $19,207 plus taxes/fees. 

#27 OFFLINE   Dave Hill

Dave Hill

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Lexus RX350

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

Never heard that. Go on car gurus and you will find quite a few of them.
David Hill
Greensboro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·