Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to replace 12v battery in energi???

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

Mine died today. Had to call AAA. Had about 9 MFM alerts in 20 minutes about a low 12v battery. Went out from work and needed a key to get in the car. AAA doesn't sell the 67r nor does Costco. Just gonna get a motorcraft instead of an AutoZone duralast or wasting any more time hunting a 67r on the internet. I got 4 years and 3 months out of it.

After the jump the drivers front window was doing unpleasant things. No auto up but when it reaches the top after hiding the switch all the way up it reverses on its own all the way down. Hope that stops.

On another note I am down below 4kw charge capacity after 43k miles with probably 35 of those EV. Any one else with similar decline in their traction battery capacity? I am wondering if some cells went bad?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   James2

James2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationmacon ga
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max energi

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:31 AM

I think a 96r will fit if you take the battery box out and trim the spacer in the back of the box out. It's a larger battery and is cheaper, easier to find. If I ever try to replace mine again, I going to try it.The 96r is about 1/4 of an inch longer.

Ford messed up and should have put a deep cycle battery in these cars.

#23 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Mine died today. Had to call AAA. Had about 9 MFM alerts in 20 minutes about a low 12v battery. Went out from work and needed a key to get in the car. AAA doesn't sell the 67r nor does Costco. Just gonna get a motorcraft instead of an AutoZone duralast or wasting any more time hunting a 67r on the internet. I got 4 years and 3 months out of it.

After the jump the drivers front window was doing unpleasant things. No auto up but when it reaches the top after hiding the switch all the way up it reverses on its own all the way down. Hope that stops.

On another note I am down below 4kw charge capacity after 43k miles with probably 35 of those EV. Any one else with similar decline in their traction battery capacity? I am wondering if some cells went bad?

Yeah, some of your cells went bad.  I'm seeing over 5.3 at 92k. 

And there is definitely some weirdness when the 12v battery dies.  I had all the windows stop responding for a day once.  After I stopped accidentally leaving the refrigerator plugged in, it stopped going dead, so there's that.  (Yes, a cooler with a Peltier, in the cargo area, where it can take the 12v all the way down.  Oops.  Having a spare charged 12v battery and some jumper cables came in really handy a few times.)

I don't know if my 12v has ever been replaced, I got the car at 75k, no record of it having been, but I don't really know.  The one I have has charged right back up once I hit it with power.

#24 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

Yeah. I figured that some HVB cells were gonners. NOT COOL.

The 12v is one I should have DIY'D. At I would have been able to rule it out as causitive in the battery issue, rather than symptomatic of something else that the dealer can't diagnose.

#25 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

I have also lost around 1kWh in capacity in the HVB. I don't think it is bad cells. I monitor the HVB with a ScanGauge and have checks individual cell voltages, average cell voltages variation in cell voltages among others. What I have found is that there are almost no variation in voltages between different cells. The most striking indications is that the peak cell voltage is dropped. This i believe is related to the lost capacity. 

If in fact you were right about bad cells, Ford service should have no trouble diagnosing the issue and the HVB should be covered under warrantee. 

It has been my experience with Ford service that unless the HVB were to raise diagnostic error code they will be very reluctant to do anything. Naturally there are no code raised due to the lost capacity that I have experienced.

Tom

#26 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

I am only speculating. Perhaps all cells are just degrading in a more rapid rate than expected at time of purchase.

The scan tool sound like it has some useful features for monitoring the cmax.

Perhaps Ford service would do something if the HVB has a catastrophic failure - perhaps.

Edited by altabrig, 20 May 2017 - 05:21 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

Pictures tell a 1000 words....

Hopefully helpful. 😁

Attached Files

Edited by jzchen, 22 May 2017 - 06:05 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

I was really tempted to take off that orange/meaning high voltage, connector, and I even tried sliding the white tab back and tried pulling off the black part. I was unsuccessful. The battery comes out vertically, rotate the side towards the back of the car up. Don't forget to pull the drain connection! I almost did. No electrolyte spilled out! Not a single drop.

#29 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

I think a 96r will fit if you take the battery box out and trim the spacer in the back of the box out. It's a larger battery and is cheaper, easier to find. If I ever try to replace mine again, I going to try it.The 96r is about 1/4 of an inch longer.

Ford messed up and should have put a deep cycle battery in these cars.

1/4 inch is very little. It might fit just fine if that is the case. I hurt my fingers some and do not want to do this again. Specs on the Odyssey AGM battery seem to say it is taller. There is very little room above the battery and there is concern as it seems shorter length wise.

Maybe the 1/4 inch difference is why it is recommended by some...

I will research and report what I can find to fit...

#30 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

The windows and sunshade(if you have the pano roof) have an initialization procedure after power loss that you're supposed to do to retrain them for the bounce back feature.  Some don't seem to need it.

The procedure is in the manual.  As I recall, it's mostly just holding the window up button for a few seconds after it's reached the top, and then back down for each window...

#31 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

^ Thank you for the information.  I will find it in the manual.

Interesting about the drain tube connection to the 12v.  Have not seen that before.

#32 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 407 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Got a T4 from CarQuest/Advance Auto Parts. Purchased online for pick-up with 30% off. It is exactly the same size, or actually a little smaller. The top of the 67R flares out whereas the T4 does not. Base looked exactly the same size! 470 CCA and 70 mins reserve capacity. They took the 67R as a core and refunded me the core charge.

I ended up disconnecting the orange plug so I didn't need to completely tilt the new battery on end and risk losing electrolyte. Press back end and slide back to first resistance. Insert screw driver into little crack in between the "buttons" and carefully pry upwards to get over the second set of bumps holding it from fully coming out.

#33 OFFLINE   pippin65

pippin65

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Locationfla
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:subaru ob

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

The advance auto T4 battery fits. It is tough the first time. I could probably do it in 30 minutes the next time I did one.

#34 OFFLINE   cpreovol

cpreovol

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

FWIW, I made a video on installing a new 12V battery based on the instructions in the thread: 

• Milkman and spirilis like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·