Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Need replacement windshield; Safelite OK or out-of-pocket for Ford OEM?

windshield

Best Answer Jonathan Ezor , 22 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

Update on this: I just spoke again to GEICO and, it seems, the relative rarity of our car will work in my favor. According to GEICO, they approved a "like kind and quality" replacement by Safelite, which would ordinarily mean aftermarket, but apparently there isn't enough of an aftermarket, so the part being put on *is* the Ford part. Net of it is that I'm going with Safelite. Wish me luck! {Jonathan}

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

My windshield got hit with a pebble or something on the highway the other day, and the gouge quickly grew into a 6-inch crack. GEICO will happily replace the windshield (I have a $0 deductible glass policy), but I have the choice of using Safelite with no out of pocket, or letting Ford do it and paying then putting in a claim. I already have a Ford service appointment scheduled for this Friday, and Safelite appointment for tomorrow. I am a bit concerned that, given the soundproofing and rain sensing in the C-MAX Energi's windshield, Safelite's replacement won't be as good. Does anyone have any experience on which to draw? Thanks. {Jonathan}

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:33 AM

If I had to do it, I'd probably pick Ford.  My windshieds have been cracked in the past, and I've had safelight come and replace them on my wife's car.  One guy did a pretty decent job.  My Cmax windshield got hit by a rock near the edge and cracked, I opted to have safelight come and repair it instead of replacing it as I wanted to keep the factory windshield in place if possible.  The guy that came that day was terrible, he put tools on my hood like its some sort of table (granted he had some blanket there too but I didn't feel secure, and threw stuff up on my windshield as well while he was working.  I can't explain it in words well, but he was just messy and not careful of other people's property in my opinion.  I thanked my lucky stars he wasn't replacing my windshield that day.

Depends on who you get I suppose, but just my thoughts on this.  Luckily my windshield has not cracked any further so its still the factory one glued where the crack is.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

I've had at least 2 windshields replaced by Safelight, one was on my C-Max and they did a great job every time. No need to go to a Ford dealer, they don't do in house glass repairs and are going to have a glass contractor do it

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

I've had at least 2 windshields replaced by Safelight, one was on my C-Max and they did a great job every time. No need to go to a Ford dealer, they don't do in house glass repairs and are going to have a glass contractor do it

I'm less concerned about the quality of the work (I'm going to the shop rather than having it done in my driveway) than the quality of the windshield itself. I do not believe that Safelite will use OEM windshields, so I will have to rely on Safelite to obtain one that has the sound deadening, rain sensing (although that was discussed) and other characteristics of the OEM windshield. I need to find out if GEICO will guarantee a full reimbursement of my out-of-pocket if I go with Ford, or whether there's some risk of only partial reimbursement. Thanks all. {Jonathan}

#5 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:26 AM   Best Answer

Update on this: I just spoke again to GEICO and, it seems, the relative rarity of our car will work in my favor. According to GEICO, they approved a "like kind and quality" replacement by Safelite, which would ordinarily mean aftermarket, but apparently there isn't enough of an aftermarket, so the part being put on *is* the Ford part. Net of it is that I'm going with Safelite. Wish me luck! {Jonathan}

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

Good luck and watch the guy working on your car and let us know how you make out.

-=>Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

I used Safelight through my insurance (State Farm). Very convenient and, so far, no problems. Very professionally done. There seem to be rain sensors in back of the rear view mirror that need to be put back correctly. 

#8 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

Thanks again, all. Didn't watch the guy working on the car, but all seemed to be done well and quickly. The replacement windshield has the Ford OEM label, the rain sensing still works, and they even put back the inspection and registration stickers and the backing for my EZ-Pass tag. I was told that, because the windshields for our cars are so big, they don't actually fit into the Safelite vans and so our replacements *can't* be done via an at-home service call. GEICO didn't mention that. Now, if my Ford dealer can finally fix the squeak (I'm betting on a loose battery weld, as others have found) and make the Vehicle Health Report work again during my scheduled service this Friday, my C-MAX will be once again be as perfect as it deserves to be. {Jonathan}

• Kermit likes this

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

Playing devil's advocate here:  if OEM parts are so much better than aftermarket, then why do they come with a much longer warranty?  (TIC)   :hysterical3:

My wife's 6 month old Outback suffered a broken windshield while sitting in a parking lot at lunch.  The crack started at the base which is lower than the wipers and hood.  Hmm, how could a rock hit there?  Anyway it spread quickly in our summer sun so it was replaced with a safelight item only to later find out the OEM glass was defective.  The bonding agent for the wiper de-icer (oh so needed here in south Texas!  LOL)  created a weakened state leading to stress fractures.  Subaru reimbursed us for the Safelite item.  

#10 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

I was told that, because the windshields for our cars are so big, they don't actually fit into the Safelite vans and so our replacements *can't* be done via an at-home service call.

Who told you this because it's bull. When I had my C-Max windshield replaced in January, 2015, it was done by Safelite and the tech had the windshield in his van. He did comment on the size of the glass. Unless they have replaced their full size vans with the new style box vans, someone was feeding you a line.

#11 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

Who told you this because it's bull. When I had my C-Max windshield replaced in January, 2015, it was done by Safelite and the tech had the windshield in his van. He did comment on the size of the glass. Unless they have replaced their full size vans with the new style box vans, someone was feeding you a line.

I suspect it may well have to do with the smaller vans they may be using. In any event, I chose to go to the shop rather than have it done in my driveway, so it was irrelevant to me. Thanks. {J}

#12 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Getting mine done tomorrow for $380. I think Safelite was $30-40 more and I'm getting a FORD windshield. :smile2: 

Paul 

#13 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Locationmaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:03 AM

I had my insurance co (Amica Mutual) add additional glass protection coverage for my C-Max (think it was $25/year). Peace of mind to not have to worry about windshield cracks or the moon roof (THAT thing is probably super expensive to replace).

#14 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

My wife was looking at adding that coverage too. :smile2:

Paul

#15 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• 55 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max 303A

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

We have our insurance with 21st Century and full glass coverage is included with comprehensive here in AZ. I carry it on both cars, the 2013 Energi and my wife's 1997 BMW Z3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·