Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

And now I have MPGe

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

Some clarifications necessary for you guys:

Now, how it's using fuel to warm the engine and producing power and at the same time using the ice to waste power to slow the car is beyond me...

It spins the engine when the battery is 100% full to slow the car down.  Once the use of the engine is done, like the car slows down enough for the engine to quit, then it adds fuel to keep it running until it warms up.  At this point the engine is just tagging along running to warm up, not running for slowing down.  That part is over and done already.  If you made this mistake, you can pull over and power cycle the car to get rid of the engine, and then don't make the mistake again.

How?  Use the brake to slow down when the battery is full.  The Cmax is smart enough to not start the ICE if the battery gets full while using the brake.  It just smoothly transitions from regen to friction pads.  You can see this happening by losing the ^ arrow on top of the battery while braking.

Jeff, you can click on the Leaf screen in MFT and check the HVB charge level.  Once you are off of 100% to 99% you can use L to slow down, unless you're slowing down a long hill, then when you reach "blue" icon and 100% you will need to shift out of L otherwise the engine will start.  That is just the way the system works.  If you look at the charge times, this also helps you determine the variance in charge levels shown at 100% on the screen:

240v charge times / 120v charge times

0.0 / 0.0 Car is fully charged just finished

0.1 / 0.2 Car is very close to fully charged, usually this is shown right after getting into the car which was fully charged earlier.

0.1 / 0.3 A little less than full, and the point where you shouldn't be using L even for a little bit.

0.1 / 0.4 Again, a little less charge than 0.1 / 0.3, use L with caution or not very aggressively if you need to.

0.2 / 0.5 Last level of 100% before it switches over to 99% charge level.  I feel OK to use L to slow down to a stop sign at this level or below (99% or less), but if in this state I watch the charge numbers and get out of L if I get to 0.1 / 0.3.

Luckily for Levi and I, we are in the north country so liquid cooling is not as critical as in Texas.  I only have to watch the battery from heat about 5-6 months of the year, from now until through April I don't have to worry.

The Cmax is alot better car as car as the creature comforts and visibility than the volt.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 10 November 2016 - 07:31 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

^^thanks for the replies, hope the car goes for another 95k!
Here's another pic from tonite showing 5.4kwh

Raja had requested driving it till half of battery showed and snapped the pic when I saw that

Interesting but off topic:

I drive in L like I did with my Volt but I noticed that on these cooler mornings that if I start out with a full battery and drive in D for a mile then shift to my usual L, this triggers the ICE to come on however if I don't go to L the ICE stayed off (tried it the last two mornings)

Also L with the ICE on squeals loudly and is totally noisy vs EV mode in L which is no noticeable difference from D and is quiet

Just had a though I need to mention, in looking at your pictures it seems to me like you're draining the battery more rapidly since you're only getting 22 miles on a charge, perhaps running it on the highway at speed until its gone and then continuing on the engine.

You might want to change your ways with the battery, especially since you are in a hot climate, to take it more easy on the battery, use it at lower power demands and in the hot weather refrain from draining it all the way on the way to work and recharging it back up in the heat of the sun.

That sort of practice can make the battery degrade alot quicker than natural.

-=>Raja.

#43 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTX
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Hybrid Energi

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Just had a though I need to mention, in looking at your pictures it seems to me like you're draining the battery more rapidly since you're only getting 22 miles on a charge, perhaps running it on the highway at speed until its gone and then continuing on the engine.

You might want to change your ways with the battery, especially since you are in a hot climate, to take it more easy on the battery, use it at lower power demands and in the hot weather refrain from draining it all the way on the way to work and recharging it back up in the heat of the sun.

That sort of practice can make the battery degrade alot quicker than natural.

-=>Raja.

Hi sorry for the long delay, wasnt online for a month

thanks for the tips re:battery

I actually switch to ICE only while on the highways (IF they are the faster speed ones------65mph+)  its too much, as you said, on the battery and it drains fast

If its a 45-55mph road then I will use it but some here are 75mph and that would just kill off the battery fast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·