Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

And now I have MPGe

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

The only way to do it is to turn on the climate control by pressing either the down arrow (air to feet) or the right arrow (air to face vents).

If you do that the fan automatically changes speed, I usually run slow fan meaning you need to press the slower fan speed 3 times to get there after turning on the climate, and to push the down or right once more if you don't want that selected.

Otherwise all other buttons turn the AC on, and if you have the temp set high enough, like 68 at this time today with the temp outside around 55, then the heat comes one along with the AC, big waste of battery.  You can see the heat on with the climate screen on the left screen.  Heat is usually off at or below 65F, generally I leave mine at 62 if I don't want heat, then turn it up if the engine is running after the temperature of the engine reaches 1/2 on the gage in my view, otherwise the electric heat will come on to assist the engine to warm up the coolant (again, seen in the climate power draw screen).

Hope this helps, and let me go and delete some PM, I get questions there often, thanks for letting me know.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTX
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Hybrid Energi

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

I think it has to do with the outside temp relative to the inside temp when you turn it back on.  I know at colder temperatures, it does not turn the AC to ON.  I usually turn my climate control back on by pressing the fan speed down button rather that hitting the power button or the AUTO button.  The climate control seems to "wake up" in different states depending on which button you press to turn it on.

Ah that makes sense but still came on other day when outside was 55 F only, not a great inconvenience but I would like to decide it being on and not the car deciding for me :-)

Thanks for the reply...

#23 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

The only way to do it is to turn on the climate control by pressing either the down arrow (air to feet) or the right arrow (air to face vents).

If you do that the fan automatically changes speed, I usually run slow fan meaning you need to press the slower fan speed 3 times to get there after turning on the climate, and to push the down or right once more if you don't want that selected.

Otherwise all other buttons turn the AC on, and if you have the temp set high enough, like 68 at this time today with the temp outside around 55, then the heat comes one along with the AC, big waste of battery.  You can see the heat on with the climate screen on the left screen.  Heat is usually off at or below 65F, generally I leave mine at 62 if I don't want heat, then turn it up if the engine is running after the temperature of the engine reaches 1/2 on the gage in my view, otherwise the electric heat will come on to assist the engine to warm up the coolant (again, seen in the climate power draw screen).

Hope this helps, and let me go and delete some PM, I get questions there often, thanks for letting me know.

-=>Raja.

Thanks Raja!! 

Good info as always from you

In other news...................

I didnt go thru the ENTIRE car when I bought it...............till yesterday

The dealer sold it without a charging cable so I bought a used Clipped Creek 120V unit

But yesterday I went thru the whole car and found that secret compartment under the driver seat in the backseat and guess what???

A BRAND NEW UNUSED OEM Ford Charger was there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dealer didnt know it and obviously neither did I, I was like screaming YEAH lol

So one will be sold for sure!

Edited by Jeff732, 25 October 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 356 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Yep, that's where it is designed to be stored.  I wonder what that says about how often your car was charged?  You may have a battery that has seen very little cycling.

I'd probably install the Clipper Creek unit at home for daily use, and leave the Ford unit in the car for those occasions that you might be able to get access to a 12V outlet to charge on the road.

#25 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

Yep, that's where it is designed to be stored.  I wonder what that says about how often your car was charged?  You may have a battery that has seen very little cycling.

I'd probably install the Clipper Creek unit at home for daily use, and leave the Ford unit in the car for those occasions that you might be able to get access to a 12V outlet to charge on the road.

Good advice, may keep both actually

I don't think this car was ever charged lol

When I tested the charging ability at the dealer with the Clipper Creek, the charging socket was very tight, like virginal, lol

Very sad if that former owners never charged a car that's made to go at least 21 miles on EV

The EV to ICE ratio is terrible on it

#26 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

Do you have a lifetime summary when you turn it off?  What does that say?  Can you take a picture of that and post it?

-=>Raja.

#27 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Do you have a lifetime summary when you turn it off?  What does that say?  Can you take a picture of that and post it?

-=>Raja.

Yes here it is

Remember this is the car that had the HUGE miles on it that all said not to get but I got it anyways, aw well

Attached File  20161025_210803.jpg   50.77KB   2 downloads

#28 OFFLINE   acck

acck

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:39 PM

Glad to see 94k miles and still going strong!

#29 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:55 AM

Glad to see 94k miles and still going strong!

thanks me too!

Dont think in the past the car was ever charged, very odd for a car thats a plug -in

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

Jeff,

How is that battery after 3 years of aging but no charging?  Can you charge it to full and drive untl you run out and get 1/2 way down into the hybrid battery and pull over (before the engine starts) and check the trip summary to see how many kwh comes out of it?  (or reset the trip 1 meter before you start driving and check that?)

-=>Raja.

#31 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

Jeff,

How is that battery after 3 years of aging but no charging?  Can you charge it to full and drive untl you run out and get 1/2 way down into the hybrid battery and pull over (before the engine starts) and check the trip summary to see how many kwh comes out of it?  (or reset the trip 1 meter before you start driving and check that?)

-=>Raja.

It seems fine, I might be able to do that this week but could post some of the kwh results off myfordmobile to show you

I looked before and most trips show my usual 14 mile on EV and it shows 3.4/3.5 kwh used but I know you want the full battery usage of a trip, I'll post some energy screenshots today or tomorrow

#32 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

What you could do is log the % also to get some idea if you don't drain it 100%.

So for example, reset the trip meter and go for a drive.

At 1.1kwh out of the battery, you should be somewhere around 82%

At 2.2 kwh, should be around 61%

At 3.3, 40%

At 4.4, 20%

And finally at 5.5, down to 0%.

Mine seems to be like that in the beginning, though towards the end it drops a little faster, so by 3.3 I'm down to 38-39% and at 4.4 I might be around 17 to 18%.

Anyway let me know what you get, and or you can post pictures of MFM and even if you do a full battery drain that will be interesting also.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 08 November 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

Heres a pic of when the battery switched off to Hybrid after it was drained by 22.1 miles EV, shows 5.3kwh used with 22.1 miles

Attached Files

Edited by Jeff732, 09 November 2016 - 05:03 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

That's great Jeff732. 5.3 kwh is a really good number for 95k miles.

#35 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

Agreed, that's great and about in par where I am at now with mine.  I have about 33k miles EV and 57k miles total.

-=>Raja.

#36 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:55 PM

^^thanks for the replies, hope the car goes for another 95k!
Here's another pic from tonite showing 5.4kwh

Raja had requested driving it till half of battery showed and snapped the pic when I saw that

Interesting but off topic:

I drive in L like I did with my Volt but I noticed that on these cooler mornings that if I start out with a full battery and drive in D for a mile then shift to my usual L, this triggers the ICE to come on however if I don't go to L the ICE stayed off (tried it the last two mornings)

Also L with the ICE on squeals loudly and is totally noisy vs EV mode in L which is no noticeable difference from D and is quiet

Attached Files

#37 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:21 AM

^^thanks for the replies, hope the car goes for another 95k!
Here's another pic from tonite showing 5.4kwh

Raja had requested driving it till half of battery showed and snapped the pic when I saw that

Interesting but off topic:

I drive in L like I did with my Volt but I noticed that on these cooler mornings that if I start out with a full battery and drive in D for a mile then shift to my usual L, this triggers the ICE to come on however if I don't go to L the ICE stayed off (tried it the last two mornings)

Also L with the ICE on squeals loudly and is totally noisy vs EV mode in L which is no noticeable difference from D and is quiet

Are you hitting 100% battery charge in L when the ICE comes on?

That would be my first guess...  Can't really think of why it would come on otherwise...

In L mode, if the battery is fully charged then it would fire up the ICE to use for engine braking.  And it would make a lot of noise from spinning up the ICE.  I did that at least once and I find it's not just noisy but the completely opposite of smooth while crossing streets at stop signs, etc.  Like it can't quite figure out if it should have the ice running, stop it or speed it up...

If you're just in EV mode or otherwise less than 100% charge and in L mode it should just be giving you max regen to slow you down.

Or maybe there's some other random mode that it goes into that I'm not aware of...  But I've used L quite a bit and that's the only time the ICE has fired up.

If you use hill descent control it will vary the regen amount but again if you max out the battery it will fire up the ICE.  It will also completely shut off any slowing of the car.

On that note, I had thought that Hill descent would use the brakes if/as needed since it's a feature on other non-hybrid cars as well.  Apparently not.

Not only have I seen it shut off if the battery hits 100% but this past week I used it down a good hill and set it at like 35mph and it went right on up to about 50mph.  It just didn't have enough regen ability to slow the car.

#38 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:25 AM

Are you hitting 100% battery charge in L when the ICE comes on?
That would be my first guess...  Can't really think of why it would come on otherwise...

In L mode, if the battery is fully charged then it would fire up the ICE to use for engine braking.  And it would make a lot of noise from spinning up the ICE.  I did that at least once and I find it's not just noisy but the completely opposite of smooth while crossing streets at stop signs, etc.  Like it can't quite figure out if it should have the ice running, stop it or speed it up...

If you're just in EV mode or otherwise less than 100% charge and in L mode it should just be giving you max regen to slow you down.

Or maybe there's some other random mode that it goes into that I'm not aware of...  But I've used L quite a bit and that's the only time the ICE has fired up.

If you use hill descent control it will vary the regen amount but again if you max out the battery it will fire up the ICE.  It will also completely shut off any slowing of the car.

On that note, I had thought that Hill descent would use the brakes if/as needed since it's a feature on other non-hybrid cars as well.  Apparently not.
Not only have I seen it shut off if the battery hits 100% but this past week I used it down a good hill and set it at like 35mph and it went right on up to about 50mph.  It just didn't have enough regen ability to slow the car.

Yes the battery is fully charged and now that I read your reply I think I read in another post that the ICE is coming on (yes for engine braking as you stated) but doesn't the C-Max do that because regen in L would cause too much charge going back to an already full battery?

The Volt never, ever would have the ICE come on with a fully charged battery even if it was freezing cold out, etc...Not so with the C-Max, which to me is quite dumb and annoying

I miss many Volt but it's way too small for cargo and now that I've had the C-Max, it's kinda claustrophobic for me too: the headroom is small for sure in it

#39 ONLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:36 AM

Yes the battery is fully charged and now that I read your reply I think I read in another post that the ICE is coming on (yes for engine braking as you stated) but doesn't the C-Max do that because regen in L would cause too much charge going back to an already full battery?

The Volt never, ever would have the ICE come on with a fully charged battery even if it was freezing cold out, etc...Not so with the C-Max, which to me is quite dumb and annoying

I miss many Volt but it's way too small for cargo and now that I've had the C-Max, it's kinda claustrophobic for me too: the headroom is small for sure in it

Yep, sounds like you've got it understood now and like me, you find some of Ford's mechanisms/procedures a bit...  Less than ideal/hard to understand.

Also note that once it spins the ICE up for engine braking it will be running for a few minutes regardless of what you're doing because it will then consider it necessary to bring the engine up to temp before it shuts it off again.

Now, how it's using fuel to warm the engine and producing power and at the same time using the ice to waste power to slow the car is beyond me...

I agree, it seems that if your car is fully charged but with a cold ICE then it might be better to just have it not do anything until the charge is lowered.  Now, if the ICE is somehow warm(that seems unlikely in our scenario) then simply spinning the engine without burning fuel makes sense.

I'd really like to try out a Volt for a couple months and see what I thought.  I'd really prefer to make my round trip to work on EV...  But there are advantages to the C-Max...

#40 OFFLINE   Jeff732

Jeff732

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

^ Tried this a.m.and went 3 miles then went into L and thing ICE stayed off so I assume it's cause it doesn't know what to do with this excess energy unlike the Volt

You should try a Volt if possible, the EV power is similar to the C-Maxs EV power, I also feel it's built a little better and the huge plus for the Volt is, and this to me is super important, is that it's a liquid cooled system protecting the battery unlike the air cooled one in the C-Max

Don't get why they gave liquid cooling to their Focus Energi but not to the C-Max, the battery and keeping it cool is critical to it's life

But yes there are some pluses for the C-Max over the Volt, namely room inside

Edited by Jeff732, 10 November 2016 - 10:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·