Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Humming sound while gas engine running?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

I don't understand the noise, sounds to me like its on all the time didn't sound like anything stopped when you said it stopped?

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Chris Gorczynski

Chris Gorczynski

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationTampa
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fleet CMAX

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:42 AM

I don't understand the noise, sounds to me like its on all the time didn't sound like anything stopped when you said it stopped?

-=>Raja.

listen to 20-25 seconds then jump straight to 45 seconds -   huge difference - it's a howling/whining/wwwwwwwuuuuuuuuuuuu  type of sound

#23 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

listen to 20-25 seconds then jump straight to 45 seconds -   huge difference - it's a howling/whining/wwwwwwwuuuuuuuuuuuu  type of sound

Yeah, if the engine is still running after 45 seconds it's WAY quieter then.

#24 OFFLINE   Chris Gorczynski

Chris Gorczynski

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

So I finally filled up for the first time (880 miles later  :happy feet: )  and the noise is all but gone. Maybe a slight hint of the humming, but NOTHING close to what it was before. I take it that the the fuel pump is submerged now and the sound is being dampened by the fuel. I guess I'll just fill her up once I hear the noise - I'll be sure to monitor at point the noise starts coming back. 

#25 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

I really couldn't make out the sound very well in your video, but if you say the sound is gone I'm glad to hear it.  Let me know if you only hear the noise with a low tank, would be interesting to hear.

-=>Raja.

#26 OFFLINE   astrand1

astrand1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 309 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Me= 2014 C-Max Energi 302a, White platinum metallic. wife= 2014 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

I hear it plain as day. My car makes the exact same sound. My 13 had the same sound and the dealer replaced the fuel pump and it was gone. I'm thinking my 14 has the same issue cause it's getting louder and louder now.

#27 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

Yeah, pretty sure mine does the same thing.  Some days it's there and sometimes not.  But it's definitely noticeable and it's definitely tied exactly on or off with the ICE running or not.  I.e. if the ICE isn't running, there's no noise.  If the ICE is running the noise is there(unless it's on a quiet time which happens once in a while. I think it makes itself more known when there's less gas in the tank).  And it doesn't change any based on ICE speed.

#28 OFFLINE   Chris Gorczynski

Chris Gorczynski

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, pretty sure mine does the same thing.  Some days it's there and sometimes not.  But it's definitely noticeable and it's definitely tied exactly on or off with the ICE running or not.  I.e. if the ICE isn't running, there's no noise.  If the ICE is running the noise is there(unless it's on a quiet time which happens once in a while. I think it makes itself more known when there's less gas in the tank).  And it doesn't change any based on ICE speed.

Yup! This.

My noise is back, but it's hit an miss. I have 76k miles now. Seems to be louder in the morning, again only when ICE is turned on. Usually if I'm on a long trip, the noise goes away by end of the trip. I have noticed that the fuel level in my tank does not seem to make that big of a difference anymore. Took it to dealer, they said the noise is definitely abnormal, but they have no idea what it is. I think I will keep driving until there are performance issues or it's abnormally annoyingly REALLY loud. Then again some days, no noise at all. So weird. 

#29 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

I don't have any noise like this, but on this trip to Montreal with the radio off I heard some rattle in the back right a couple of times.  I think it might be the battery shield that folks talked about?  Where exactly is that and is it easily reachable?  Steve do you know details about this?  Its not a huge issue, if the radio is on I don't hear it.  Also I have stuff loaded in the car, so maybe something of mine is rattling, I haven't eliminated that possibility yet.

-=>Raja.

#30 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

I don't have any noise like this, but on this trip to Montreal with the radio off I heard some rattle in the back right a couple of times.  I think it might be the battery shield that folks talked about?  Where exactly is that and is it easily reachable?  Steve do you know details about this?  Its not a huge issue, if the radio is on I don't hear it.  Also I have stuff loaded in the car, so maybe something of mine is rattling, I haven't eliminated that possibility yet.

-=>Raja.

The shield sound is not a rattle. It sounds exactly like Styrofoam rubbing together - squeaking. Very annoying. The issue for me was a battery weld, I doubt it would be easily fixable by a DIY. Maybe, if one were good with a welder. But I wouldn't want to do that near the HVB.

• RubyMax likes this

#31 OFFLINE   cmaxLA

cmaxLA

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:c max 2016

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

I have 2016 c max.  Bought it in Dec 2015.  It does not have the sound before 9500 miles. It started to have the humming noise that you recorded on your video around 9500 mile mark . Took it to the dealer for 10,000 mile maintenance, rotate the tire and told the dealer to check it out.  I am not sure if they did a check or not, but the humming sound is still there. (the sound echo, I am not sure if it is from the front or back)  Only happen in gas engine mode. It is intermittent.    It does not always hum. When I step on the gas lightly, the humming sound will come in and out. The sound is definitely noticeable.

I see #ClyonCmax replaced fuel pump and the noise goes away. I will contact the dealer again and update the finding. 

Tom

#32 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:38 AM

I have this noise in my (bought off lease) 2013.  It seems to be the fuel pump, as others have noted.

#33 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

It's definitely the fuel pump. I had the same exact noise in my 2013 after two years of ownership (bought new). I finally went to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump/sender, at 27,000 miles. The noise went away.

2 1/2 years later at 49,000 miles, and the noise is back again. It is loud, but intermittent - almost like a bearing that is failing. I am very familiar with the sound of a worn bearing - it can come and go as the harmonics of the loose bearing are reached, and this is exactly what this sounds like to me.

I'm just going to leave it for now, and if it fails, I will be putting an aftermarket pump/sender in it - not going to put ANOTHER crap Motorcraft pump in there only to have it last for another two years.

#34 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:15 AM

Fuel pumps should not fail so soon, they usually last over 100K miles so for a Cmax with less than 1/2 the miles on the ICE usually you should be able to get to 200k without fuel pump worries in retrospect. 

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 17 May 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

Fuel pumps should not fail so soon, they usually last over 100K miles so for a Cmax with less than 1/2 the miles on the ICE usually you should be able to get to 200k without fuel pump worries in retrospect. 

-=>Raja.

You are correct. My first fuel pump started making the "bearing" noise with only 7,500 miles on the ICE engine. It was replaced under warranty at 8,077 miles. The replacement one started making the noise again with around 16,000 miles on the ICE engine, so it would appear that the fuel pumps are lasting about 8,000 miles - which is ridiculous.

I had a quarter tank of fuel in my Energi this weekend. I poured in a whole can of Seafoam. I let it slosh around in the tank and mix for a day, then I forced my car to run in ICE mode. Miracle upon miracles, the loud howling noise from my fuel pump has disappeared. Which to me points to a bearing issue, as the lubrication from the Seafoam could have caused the bearings to be better lubricated. That said, it is a temporary fix at best.

• stolenmoment likes this

#36 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

My fuel pump on my 1983 Mercedes 190e died, it was like the engine had a heart attack. It was maybe 20 years old, I held onto that car for 30 years until 2013. I think the first pump lasted close to 180k miles.  Traded car in for first 2013 Cmax with 265k miles.

My wife’s bmw pump lost pressure. The car still ran fine but was unable to jet siphon fuel from the left side of the tank back to the right side. Basically you abandoned 1/4 tank of gas and ran out with 100 miles range still indicated. I replaced it a couple of years ago and the problem is fixed. The car now has 261364 miles so I’m thinking the original pump lasted 200k miles.

In the Cmax world I never had a problem with my original Cmax, 73.5k miles no issues. New Cmax 17k miles no issues with pumps.

Just my experience.

Edit:

Just checked my records, Benz fuel pump replaced 156781 miles, BMW fuel pump replaced 249375 miles.  It was problematic for several years before I finally replaced it.  Probably around 200k when it became an issue.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 20 May 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:51 AM

-=>Raja.

I agree.  But my experience fits right in with the rest of this Ford stuff.  The pump hasn't failed, but it has intermittently made the same humming noise.  Last year it got quite loud at times.  For a while now I don't think I've noticed it making noise at all.

#38 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

The fuel pump on my 2004 Ranger failed last year. The Ranger had about 120k miles on it and this was the first major repair I ever did on the pickup. MY 2013 C-Max is now 5 years old this month with 71k miles and I have had no issues with the fuel pump. Actually outside of a couple of 12V batteries the C-Max has been almost problem free. My third 12V battery is now older than either of the first two and it is still going strong.

Tom

Edited by Tom_NC_1, 22 May 2018 - 01:35 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

Yeah, overall for the roughly 2 years I've had my C-Max it has been fairly reliable in the breakdown sense.  But on the "kinda works" sense, it's nowhere near our Toyota or Subaru experiences which for the most part just needed a wheel bearing every couple years. (which max also has one that's just starting to go) until the vehicles got near the 12 year 200K mile range...

Max has needed a Fuel Injector as one was completely dead.  I replaced all 4 since there was only one of them that wasn't leaking.

*I* fixed the GPS issue where it couldn't keep itself on the roads after getting zero help from the dealer.

Otherwise on the current list of things that "usually work, but frequently don't":

-Parking sensors go off every time there's any precipitation

-Door handle locking/unlocking is extremely iffy in any cold and/or precipitation

-Stereo does some sort of random problem(radio stations sluggish/wouldn't change, volume wouldn't respond, audio just wouldn't power on at all, etc) about once a month or two requiring the removal of those annoying to get at fuses.

#40 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:41 AM

Yeah, overall for the roughly 2 years I've had my C-Max it has been fairly reliable in the breakdown sense.  But on the "kinda works" sense, it's nowhere near our Toyota or Subaru experiences which for the most part just needed a wheel bearing every couple years. (which max also has one that's just starting to go) until the vehicles got near the 12 year 200K mile range...

Max has needed a Fuel Injector as one was completely dead.  I replaced all 4 since there was only one of them that wasn't leaking.

*I* fixed the GPS issue where it couldn't keep itself on the roads after getting zero help from the dealer.

Otherwise on the current list of things that "usually work, but frequently don't":

-Parking sensors go off every time there's any precipitation

-Door handle locking/unlocking is extremely iffy in any cold and/or precipitation

-Stereo does some sort of random problem(radio stations sluggish/wouldn't change, volume wouldn't respond, audio just wouldn't power on at all, etc) about once a month or two requiring the removal of those annoying to get at fuses.

I too notice the annoying "sometimes ignores me" door handle unlocking. Sometimes it does it for no reason at all, and I just have to go to one of the rear door handles to get the car to unlock.

My stereo too did exactly what yours did until I had them update software in various modules, and the problem vanished then and never returned.

• Levi Smith likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·