Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Got my new switch assembly WITH shade controls

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

So last night my switch assembly arrived and this looks like what I was expecting. A Sunshade control!

Haven't had too much time to try and replace it.  Looking at the new one it looks like it's probably kinda pressure fit with a number of big metal prongs on the sides.  However, a screwdriver inserted in there doesn't seem to be getting much to move and I'd rather not press my luck and do my usual routine of breaking something.

I'm wondering if that ceiling mounted console has to be removed before the switch assembly comes out...

We'll see if I get a chance to have mechanic neighbor look at it this afternoon.  He wasn't in this morning.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

Did you have to buy the switch, or did the selling dealership provide you with one?  Those clips suggest it just "plugs" in, but you are prudent to have someone else look at it also. 

#3 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

Okay, so I'm no mechanic, nor do I play one on TV, but for the life of me, I have no idea what you're talking about.  ???

#4 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

Okay, so I'm no mechanic, nor do I play one on TV, but for the life of me, I have no idea what you're talking about.  ???

He bought a used C-Max recently with a pano-roof.  However, the overhead control panel to operate the power roof sun shade must have been swapped out at one time, and it did not have the switch to operate the sun shade, nor from the sounds of it did it have the sunglass holder either.  He had to find the new overhead console that had the switch and has to replace the incorrect one in the car.

He has another post from a few weeks ago from when he purchased the vehicle basically over the phone from an out of state dealer.  He followed up in that post about some of the questions about the car, and about a few things when he picked up the car.  He posted a picture of his incorrect overhead console in that post.

Edited by ls973800, 01 February 2016 - 08:10 PM.

• Kermit likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:12 AM

He bought a used C-Max recently with a pano-roof.  However, the overhead control panel to operate the power roof sun shade must have been swapped out at one time, and it did not have the switch to operate the sun shade, nor from the sounds of it did it have the sunglass holder either.  He had to find the new overhead console that had the switch and has to replace the incorrect one in the car.

He has another post from a few weeks ago from when he purchased the vehicle basically over the phone from an out of state dealer.  He followed up in that post about some of the questions about the car, and about a few things when he picked up the car.  He posted a picture of his incorrect overhead console in that post.

Yep!  Well, I do have the sunglass holder, it's just the switch assembly.  It's a bank of switches and/or blanks where the ambient lighting control is in the center.  Mine just has a blank where the sunshade control should be.  You have to buy that assembly to get that switch(you can't just replace one switch).

Only plausible ideas I've come up with are:

-Something went wrong with sunshade and they took out the switch to prevent it from being activated(maybe it will get stuck fully closed)

or

-Something went wrong with the switch assembly and they weren't able to get the replacement assembly(the first dealership I ordered from said it was unavailable. I ended up getting mine off Ebay) so this was the only one available.

or

-It was just shipped from the factory this way.

Oh, and no the dealer I bought it from did not provide it.  I didn't think they would.  It doesn't fall under the used car warranty they provided in any way.  It was like $65 shipped from Ebay.

My girls have Birthdays this week and we've been partying on the weekend and what not so I've yet to get a chance to catch my mechanic and ask him to take a look and see if he can swap it out in a couple minutes like I suspect(as opposed to me just breaking it in a couple minutes)  (:

#6 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Got a chance to stop down to my mechanic neighbor last night.  He seemed pretty sure the assembly should just pop out but that Ford's have some REALLY stiff mountings.  So he went out, spent a number of minutes with a couple plastic pry bars and not a lot of results.

Then the entire console assembly came all but out.  From there it was easier to get the metal levers pushed inwards and the assembly to slide out.

He said there were holes for screws to hold the upper console assembly that had never been threaded in so it seems quite likely this was delivered from the factory this way.

Either way, I now have a functioning power shade!  (:

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

Only plausible ideas I've come up with are:

There was also a headliner recall to add a couple of pieces of reinforcement padding to comply with some safety standard back in '13.  Anyway, maybe a tech broke it during the procedure and replaced it with the wrong item.

#8 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

I believe the recall only covered cars without the window.

Bob

#9 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

Good to hear you got the proper overhead console with switch in place now, and sounds like everything works as it should!  Strange that the wrong part was in there to begin with, and I guess no amount of speculation will ever give the answer exactly as to why.

Enjoy your new to you C-Max! 

• Levi Smith likes this

#10 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

It's probably the same reason my car has the 220V euro style outlet in the back of the center console.  I'm sure there's probably someone in the Netherlands with a 110V North American plug. 

Inventory gets sequenced wrong in the factory, and the wrong parts go on the wrong car. Things like parts being the wrong color tend to get caught, more subtle differences get missed.  There's probably a C-Max out there with out the pano roof whose owner wonders why they have an extra switch that controls nothing.

• Levi Smith likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

It's probably the same reason my car has the 220V euro style outlet in the back of the center console.  I'm sure there's probably someone in the Netherlands with a 110V North American plug. 

Inventory gets sequenced wrong in the factory, and the wrong parts go on the wrong car. Things like parts being the wrong color tend to get caught, more subtle differences get missed.  There's probably a C-Max out there with out the pano roof whose owner wonders why they have an extra switch that controls nothing.

Yep. And it's the sort of thing I can see most people never even realizing they were missing.  The roof doesn't open and it's not obvious that there's a power shade.

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

Now that you have the controls for it open the shade in the winter and close it in the summer, that's what I do :)

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

WOAH! If you have a 220V plug back there, check it with a voltage meter. It might actually BE 220v.

#14 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

Well done for getting that power shade working!  $65 and a six pack for the mechanic!  There's plenty of people that would have just left it the way it is.  Do you have all the options including the park assist and navigation?

#15 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

Ha-ha, my neighbor mechanic is a weirdo like me and doesn't drink. I try to help him out with computer stuff and otherwise compensate him but he's definitely done more for me. Great guy.

Yep I had to drive 900 miles round trip but I got a loaded 2013 for under $13k. Though you remind me I still need to find a spot to try out the auto parking.

Auto parking is the one option I might've been talked out of. Sounds cool but I probably only need to parallel park my car a half dozen times a year. But the stereo and backup camera are every day and the foot lift gate is awesome this time of year especially since it's filthy.

Though come to think of it I am definitely glad I got the auto parking cause I do use the front sensors for pulling into my garage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·