Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Noise - Likely Solved

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

After stories like this, I am glad I purchased the Ford ESP 7yr/100k $0 ded warranty!

rafacq

Well, the warranty isn't needed for the iCVT. They all have a minimum of 100k. I will purchase one also if I decide to buy out the lease, but I will do it because of the stuff that isn't covered by the Hybrid warranty.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:50 AM

I have 7 year 125k on mine, had to make it 125 not 100k as otherwise I'd get to 100k before 7 years!  Makes me covered until September 2020.

-=>Raja.

#23 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:03 PM

Which state are you in? For CARB states, the iCVT is warranted to 150K. Obviously the dealer believes you are in a non CARB state.

I think the C in CARB is for California. I'm in West Virginia.

And then you just got yours replaced, so chances are you're done with that forever, I can't see it failing twice in the same car.

-=>Raja.

Of course it is the transmission not the car that is the controlling factor where odds are concerned. Like Levi, I wonder how often this happens. There are three in this thread, but this is where we all bring problems so not really indicative of a trend. Still, I can't get passed only 72,000 miles on a transmission--only 59,000 on original poster Marcin's. 

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

Know that you only hear of the problems here, all the other people having reliable cars don't ever post here and say I got 50k on my transmission and its still good!  You know what I mean, its mostly bad news that gets posted.

-=>Raja.

#25 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

I think the C in CARB is for California. I'm in West Virginia.

Of course it is the transmission not the car that is the controlling factor where odds are concerned. Like Levi, I wonder how often this happens. There are three in this thread, but this is where we all bring problems so not really indicative of a trend. Still, I can't get passed only 72,000 miles on a transmission--only 59,000 on original poster Marcin's. 

There are a number of states that have chosen to follow CARB, but West Virginia isn't one of them. It isn't just California - states get to choose to follow either Federal or CARB standards.

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

Mine failed at 98K, but the noise started about 800 miles before I decided to replace it, wasn't sure I could make it another 1k mi. back home. :wink:  I assume the new Trans has the problem solved. :smile2:

Paul

#27 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

There are a number of states that have chosen to follow CARB, but West Virginia isn't one of them. It isn't just California - states get to choose to follow either Federal or CARB standards.

I did not know this. Thanks. Too bad WV doesn't follow California. We're a coal state, so Fed. standard is probably weaker.

#28 OFFLINE   EV_Future

EV_Future

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOrange County
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

When this issue starts occurring, does the noise occur on all speeds?  My friend is experiencing a howling noise that if I understand correctly lasts for a few seconds at a time, and I heard it twice while she was lightly accelerating around 30mph.  After reading various posts I'm concerned her transmission might need to be replaced too, but I don't want her to waste time going to dealerships unfamiliar with the situation in SoCal.

#29 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

I just discovered a bearing noise today in the front of our 2013 C-max.  It has 66K on it now, and the noise seems to be more noticeable at lower speeds.  The drive train warranty has expired, so I'm afraid to take it to the dealer and have them misdiagnose it as a bad CV joint or axle bearing.  Any idea how to test?  I will be checking you tube also.  Thanks. 

#30 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

stick it in neutral going 30-40 mph and see if the noise goes away, if it doesn't then it isn't the trans.

Paul

#31 OFFLINE   67gtcougar

67gtcougar

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:38 PM

Hi Paul, Thanks for your help.  I just tested it, and the noise doesn't go away when I shift it to neutral at speeds between 30 and 40 mph.  Also, I noticed that the whirling, almost scraping noise is worse when increasing speed, and most noticeable between 10 and 30 mph.  Thanks.

#32 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:48 PM

Might be your energy saver tires, they can make alot of noise if they wear the wrong way.  My 2013 tires used to go woo woo woo all the time.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·