Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to get better gas mileage on the highway

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

You're welcome!  It didn't come easy, but I sure as heck figured it out as this is my first hybrid/electric car and to be honest I think its the best car I ever owned! 

-=>Raja.

• astrand1 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

I tried this method on a trip today from Philly to DC. About 130 miles. What shall we call Raja's method, anyway? Needs a name. Perhaps 'ICE-on Highway Running.'

The results were astonishing.

Normally, I use around 15% of the HVB on local roads & getting up to speed on 476 before firing up the ICE. And as soon as I get onto New Hampshire Avenue in DC, I switch over to EV Now. With electric driving on both ends of the trip, I believe I would get between 45 & 47 mpg.

This trip, I wanted to save over 90% of the HVB for DC local driving the next day. So I started the ICE earlier and stayed in EV Later after the highway on DC roads. I set the HVB to 93% and worked the accelerator pedal to keep the charge at 94% to 95%.

I achieved 45 mpg--and the first half of the trip was in HEAVY rain due to far-reaching effects of the hurricane.

Again, that was without using 20 miles or so of pure EV driving, which I usually do on this trip. That's 15% gas-free driving that I didn't benefit from this time around.

Thanks for this technique, Raja. It's counterintuitive. I never would have thought that keeping the ICE running on the highway would get better mileage than the intermittent cycle of running/charging and electric gliding. But it does!

Rick

#23 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

Works like a champ, you're welcome Rick!!!!   :hi5:

You want to stay at 95% all the time if possible (from 93% set point), or any set point for that matter, plan to stay 2% higher than XX% will be saved shown when going to EV later.

You can call it Raja's method of ICE on highway running, or Rbort's, either way, nice to have my name in the name of it  :smile2:

Note that if the speed is slower, like 45 to 55mph, then let it cycle on and off and the ICE has more reserve power to charge and propel and also the battery drain is more efficient when discharging at slower speeds due to less air drag.

Once you're on cruise at 66mph, keep it running every time it clicks off due to a downhill section or a flyover a road below, re-ignite the ice as soon as the hill levels out, of if its a long hill you can re-ignite the ice after the battery drops by 1/2 (estimate) to 1% as there will be a charge load on the ICE to keep it running.  Attempting to reignite the ICE right away after it drops out on a downhill will be fruitless, not enough load.

So basically:

45mph and under, use EV power

45-55mph, let it cycle between EV and the ICE, spare power from the ICE and slow speed for EV, cycling works decently well.

55-62mph, you're sort of in no man's land or the transition point, its hard to keep the engine running it wants to turn off alot.

62-67mph, you're in the sweet spot, keep it running and watch the MPG will go sky high!

Over 70mpg, the ICE is running all the time even down hills due to drag and you're losing MPG anyways due to high drag.

You're ideal target engine rpm is 1950.

This method works really well in the flat lands, like going from PA to FL for example on 95 south.  Doesn't work well in the hills of Vermont on 89 for example, too many ups and down its very hard to get the charge level to go up 2% and the hills keep using the battery to assist in the climb where there is excess power there.

Enjoy!

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 09 October 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:02 AM

I call it "The Raja Method", btw.

#25 OFFLINE   fordfusionse

fordfusionse

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDecline
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:ICE powered

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

Hey Guys,

I got a 2017 FFE recently. Love this car. Although it takes me a minute :doh:  to figure out if the car is ready to drive  :shift: (Thanks to no engine noise) . 

I was trying to charge the battery as Raja mentioned by going @65 mph but was not able to do it.

Any ideas as to what could be the reason behind not able to charge ? 

#26 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

When we got our Escape Hybrid, it took us a long time to figure out what the little green car with the arrows meant.

For the CMax Energi, I find that watching the little up and down arrows above and below the battery gauge on the dash is required; try pushing the accelerator a little bit more or less.

The car really wants to suck the battery dry, then run the gas motor; you have to confuse it a bit.

#27 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

I've got my first road trip coming up early Wednesday morning; Just under 500 miles from central NY to Harrisonburg VA. I-81 has Lots of mountains ( east coast version anyway) so I will have ample opportunities to charge up, or regain charge as I make my way South. I generally cruise right around 65-66 mph on long treks. In my Prius that got me somewhere up near 48-50 mpg, I'm quite used to letting the speed patrol pass me as I enjoy my trip.
Let me see if I have this straight... I've got about 15 miles of local roads , then some 65 relatively flat terrain. There's a pretty steep hilly section followed by a plateau. If I understand ... I should run EV to the interstate, then set EV later and as soon as I can, step up the 'set point' until I'm at 92-93%?

#28 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

I believe, Raja's description of "charging HVB while driving" was an illustration of what you could do, rather than what you should do. Since charging battery from ICE is not very efficient, in my draving I am actually looking to minimize charging of HVB from engine. Raja offers some tips on that while cruising (forcing the ICE at the start of the incline...). In addition, I've been recently experimenting with avoiding the "initial charge recovery", which happens after the initial acceleration on the freeway in EV Now.

Here is what I observed in my drives to the office. By the time I get to the freeway on local roads, my battery is at about 93%. When I hit EV Later on the on-ramp (the screen shows "93% f charge reserved"), the ICE fires up and the electric engine assists for about 20 seconds, drawing down on the HVB. The ICE fuel consumption during that time is around 6L/100km (39mpg). Then, at some point, the electric engine cuts out and the ICE propels the car, while also staring to re-charge the HVB back to the set point. While this is happening, the fuel consumption spikes to over 9L/100km (less than 25MPG) and stays there while ICE charges the battery to the original set point. So, what I've been doing is "cycling the EV Mode" (3 hits on the button) the moment I see the HVB draw switch to HVB charge. The result of this is a re-set of the reserved battery level to approximately 3% below what it was at the initial EV Later setting and no fuel consumption spike. I understand that, as a result, I am losing some EV range for "after the freeway" driving, but that's fine with me because I believe that driving that 1 mile in the city on hybrid, rather than EV is more efficient than having ICE charge the battery. Also, there is often a free charger at the end of my trip and I sometimes arrive with some charge left anyway... 

#29 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

Ned,

Do not recharge the battery back up unless you know for sure you need X amount of charge to make it off the highway to your destination and you plan to do that 100%EV plus you know that you will be driving that stretch at 40mph or less.

There are losses in recharging the HVB with the ICE while driving, but you can overcome those if you drive the battery at slow speeds.  Hence driving for example at 65, charging the battery, and using it at 65 you're going to end up with a loss for sure.  Only if you use the battery at more efficient speeds might you come out ahead.

Knowing that its best to just let the ICE get to +2% charge level of the setpoint and start doing better than 40mpg on the highway at 65mph.  

-=>Raja.

#30 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hackster,

To minimize the draw down effect of the HVB while the ICE is warming up, try driving the car slow at first until the engine is warm enough to take over the load.  Means that when you get on the highway you stay in the right lane and keep at 70 kph until the ice warms up, after which you can slowly accelerate to 110 kph but wait for the downhill to do so, don't try to accelerate uphill.  

This should help minimize the battery drawdown and you won't have to cycle EV later 3% or more less than the original set point.  I do this all the time, start slow on the highway for the first couple of miles until my engine is warmed up and then wait for the downhill to bring the cruise speed up to 65mph.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 03 April 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:12 AM

Ned,

Do not recharge the battery back up unless you know for sure you need X amount of charge to make it off the highway to your destination and you plan to do that 100%EV plus you know that you will be driving that stretch at 40mph or less.

There are losses in recharging the HVB with the ICE while driving, but you can overcome those if you drive the battery at slow speeds. Hence driving for example at 65, charging the battery, and using it at 65 you're going to end up with a loss for sure. Only if you use the battery at more efficient speeds might you come out ahead.

Knowing that its best to just let the ICE get to +2% charge level of the setpoint and start doing better than 40mpg on the highway at 65mph.

-=>Raja.

My goal is maximum overall mpg, not a full HVB. I'm going to visit my parents, and they live about 3 miles from the interstate. I'm perfectly happy with arriving on ICE, I just don't want the mileage penalty. I can plug in when I get there for any small trips.

#32 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:56 AM

If its only 3 miles off the interstate then you just need to save 10% HVB before getting off.

I would use the battery while you are on your way to the highway, and any other opportunity you have to use it due to slow traffic.

If you don't get down to 10% before getting off the exit then before you get there you need to use up some battery.

Either:

1) 10-15 miles before the exit, slow down to 45-50mph and burn off the battery at slower speeds or

2) Reverse charge the battery by cycling EV later 3 times whenever the battery charge level is lower than the current set point.

Option 2 can take up to 50 miles or so to use up a good portion of the battery, so plan ahead.

-=>Raja.

#33 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

If Ford wanted to maximize the mileage of the car, they could have all this be automatic based on GPS, as long as the route was set up before hand.

#34 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

If Ford wanted to maximize the mileage of the car, they could have all this be automatic based on GPS, as long as the route was set up before hand.

Well, do you check the "eco route" options when using the Nav?

#35 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:41 PM

Yes, I do, but I don't know if it is actually using slope as part of its set-up. I think it is more lack of stops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·