Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Pressure Monitor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

I just got a warning indicator telling me I had a low tire pressure.  I found it by checking each tire but is there any way to get that info from the system?  I can't on my Saturn Vue either but I can ask OnStar and they tell me what tire it is.  Surely  there is a way on my far more advanced C-Max Energi.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

You can get it from an OBD reader, either a standalone one like ScanGauge (pricey), or if you have an iOS or Android device using a bluetooth or wifi (not for iOS) adapter. However, if you rotate your tires without retraining the car for the new positions then the locations will be wrong anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

However, if you rotate your tires without retraining the car for the new positions then the locations will be wrong anyway.

I just discovered that AFTER I recently found the tire with low pressure.  It was the LAST one I looked at.  Damn Murphy's Law !

#4 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:25 AM

I'm a little confused about the TPMS on this car.  I swapped out my summer tires for snow tires back in November, and never retrained the car.  I'm used to it taking maybe a few days and/or up to 100 miles (on previous cars) of driving before the car admits it has a problem reading the sensors.  I have driven out of state with the snow tires, and still have yet to see the alarm.  I have basically assumed that the car re-learned the sensors based on proximity.  Is that not true?  Maybe there is actually something wrong with my TPMS system?

Does anyone else trade tires between summer and winter?  What has your experience been with TMPS recognizing the new sensors?

#5 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

My 2013 Ford Edge would re-learn sensors after rotating the tires.  I would have to hit about 50 MPH or more and drive a short distance before it would shut the light off.  I will be rotating the tires on the C-Max withing the next 2 weeks and will see if the light comes on or not.

#6 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

The sensors are in fact relearned when swapping summer and winter wheels, however, their position on the car is not.  You'll have to use a reset tool and do a manual reset to have the car remember which position the wheels are in (RF, LF, RR, LR)

I use the tool and procedure on my C-Max and Escape.

Edited by RubyMax, 18 December 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

The sensors are in fact relearned when swapping summer and winter wheels

I didn't know that, interesting. Did it take 50 miles or so like on the Edge? Wouldn't done much good for me last year since I never drove that far during winter, only putting 700 miles on the winter tires the whole 5 months they were on the car.

#8 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:37 AM

I didn't know that, interesting. Did it take 50 miles or so like on the Edge? Wouldn't done much good for me last year since I never drove that far during winter, only putting 700 miles on the winter tires the whole 5 months they were on the car.

I had to drive 50 MPH or so, not 50 MILES!  Other than the car re-learning the sensors and shutting the light off, I don't know why they would have to be reset with a tool to learn the position on the car.  It's not like other cars that tell you which tire (Left front or Right rear, etc) that is low.  I let the car relearn the sensors in order to shut off the TPMS light,  but have never had anyone use a tool to relearn the positions.  Why would that be needed in these cars?

#9 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

I use FORScan with an OBD Bluetooth reader, and I can see the tire pressure and tire position.

#10 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

I had to drive 50 MPH or so, not 50 MILES!  Other than the car re-learning the sensors and shutting the light off, I don't know why they would have to be reset with a tool to learn the position on the car.  It's not like other cars that tell you which tire (Left front or Right rear, etc) that is low.  I let the car relearn the sensors in order to shut off the TPMS light,  but have never had anyone use a tool to relearn the positions.  Why would that be needed in these cars?

I must have had a senior moment  :worship:

If you aren't going to use some external device to read individual tire pressures then it's probably not worth it to teach the car which tire is which when changing tires.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·