Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone using Turo?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

Hi,

I heard about this company last year sometime when it was called Relayrides.com. I think it was on Leo Laport's tech show or one of the other shows on his twit network.

I think at the time it was only operating out if LAX and the idea was that you could Park your car for free while you fly off on your holiday and relayrides would rent your car out on your behalf to other people. On your return, you would be presented with a check and you car back hopefully in the same condition you left it in.

I thought to myself, this will never fly. It's about as mad as the general public being let us their own cars to taxi people around! Well obviously I was wrong. Turo is now operating in my area and I spent most of last weekend doing some research. There are negative reviews but they all seem to be coming from renters who've had their bookings cancelled or were never allowed open an account in the first place.

Anyway, after a recent trip to Minnesota and getting a ton of unexpected charges on my car rental from Sixt (airport charge, rental surcharge, booster seat etc) I decided to sign up with Turo. Then I put my Cmax on it. Here's my link.
https://turo.com/car...x-energi/135064
And this is a referral link
https://turo.com/ren...de=909788rdUSvd

I probably could have done a better job sizing the pictures for the site. I will have to look into ways of doing that.

I've got three bookings already. The first one collects the car at my house Christmas eve and the day after I get the car back, I've to bring it to Fort Myers airport for the next customer.

Here's hoping it all goes according to plan. There's a lot of my freinds watching this as they are thinking of doing the same thing.

What do you guys think?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

Do you really want total strangers coming to your home for 29 bucks a day?

• tr7driver likes this

#3 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hi,

I heard about this company last year sometime when it was called Relayrides.com. I think it was on Leo Laport's tech show or one of the other shows on his twit network.

I think at the time it was only operating out if LAX and the idea was that you could Park your car for free while you fly off on your holiday and relayrides would rent your car out on your behalf to other people. On your return, you would be presented with a check and you car back hopefully in the same condition you left it in.

I thought to myself, this will never fly. It's about as mad as the general public being let us their own cars to taxi people around! Well obviously I was wrong. Turo is now operating in my area and I spent most of last weekend doing some research. There are negative reviews but they all seem to be coming from renters who've had their bookings cancelled or were never allowed open an account in the first place.

Anyway, after a recent trip to Minnesota and getting a ton of unexpected charges on my car rental from Sixt (airport charge, rental surcharge, booster seat etc) I decided to sign up with Turo. Then I put my Cmax on it. Here's my link.
https://turo.com/car...x-energi/135064
And this is a referral link
https://turo.com/ren...de=909788rdUSvd

I probably could have done a better job sizing the pictures for the site. I will have to look into ways of doing that.

I've got three bookings already. The first one collects the car at my house Christmas eve and the day after I get the car back, I've to bring it to Fort Myers airport for the next customer.

Here's hoping it all goes according to plan. There's a lot of my freinds watching this as they are thinking of doing the same thing.

What do you guys think?

Are there any insurance issues? How is coverage made? I'm sure your personal insurance does not cover commercial use.

#4 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

Do you really want total strangers coming to your home for 29 bucks a day?

There's total strangers coming to my home all day long.  If anyone else knocks on my door and asks if I want my palm trees cleaned they can take them away!  Admittedly, they're not all driving off in my car.  A lot of it is on a trust system.  Honestly, I would say very few people who rent a car from Hertz or the like do the dog with the car.  Turo have a pretty good sign up system and a user star rating.

Like Uber, you can decline customers with a lower star rating than you are prepared to accept.   Although because Turo is quite new, many customers are first time renters.  I think I would be more nervous about renting out a performance car (and there are many on Turo) because you could of course end up with a customer who's not used to driving a fast car or even doesn't know the parts of town not to park such a car.  

I would say the insurance is probably the same as the Uber situation.  Uber says they have the insurance in hand once you accept your passenger request and up until the time that you drop them off.  Your private insurance company says no way. They don't want you driving around using your car in a commercial sense without taking out a commercial policy.  What drew my attention to that, was a news report about Canadian taxi drivers protesting that no Uber drivers have insurance.  I know plenty of Uber drivers who have gone and taken out a commercial policy and some who haven't.  

#5 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

I would say the insurance is probably the same as the Uber situation.  Uber says they have the insurance in hand once you accept your passenger request and up until the time that you drop them off.  Your private insurance company says no way. They don't want you driving around using your car in a commercial sense without taking out a commercial policy.  What drew my attention to that, was a news report about Canadian taxi drivers protesting that no Uber drivers have insurance.  I know plenty of Uber drivers who have gone and taken out a commercial policy and some who haven't.  

I don't see the insurance the same as Uber. Another person is driving the car - a person that may not be a good driver, or whatever. With Uber, you are driving the vehicle.

#6 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

I don't see the insurance the same as Uber. Another person is driving the car - a person that may not be a good driver, or whatever. With Uber, you are driving the vehicle.

I like the way you're thinking Steve.  A part of me wonders though, If you were involved in a serious accident on the way to the airport to hand the car over to a customer and the insurance company got wind of what you were using the car for, would they try to avoid paying out?  

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,270 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

IMO, very bad idea.

If you were involved in a serious accident on the way to the airport to hand the car over to a customer and the insurance company got wind of what you were using the car for, would they try to avoid paying out?  

If you don't have your car registered for business use with the insurance company, then, yes, they can decline coverage.   You could also be legally involved in any wreck/damages caused by the renter because the other drivers' lawyer or insurance company may come after you too.

I wish GOOD LUCK!!!!!  

#8 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:15 AM

IMO, very bad idea.

If you don't have your car registered for business use with the insurance company, then, yes, they can decline coverage.   You could also be legally involved in any wreck/damages caused by the renter because the other drivers' lawyer or insurance company may come after you too.

I wish GOOD LUCK!!!!!  

I think that all this internet based ride sharing, delivery driving and now car rental is new turf for car insurance companies.  It's a wonder in the case of Turo that the car rental companies haven't got together to create a class action lawsuit or something to that effect for trying to steal their business, much like Taxi drivers have done with Uber.  

I would presume that people who are using their car for Pizza deliveries would probably also be required to have commercial insurance, in some cases costing in the region of $500 per month (as I have heard from one Uber driver).  

Just on another thing, fotomoto,  I'm going to visit my local Suburu dealer today to have a look at an Outback.  I was in one in St Paul over the Halloween break.  My Uncle in law bought two of them (one for his son in law) last may and it looked like a fine vehicle.  Are you happy with yours?

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,270 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:36 AM

My Uncle in law bought two of them (one for his son in law) last may and it looked like a fine vehicle.  Are you happy with yours?

Yes.  It's approaching one year old and has been great.  My wife loves it and affectionally calls it "scoobie".  She really appreciates all the safety features especially the adaptive cruise control and feels more safe and confident with them.  In fact, on one occasion during really poor driving conditions she chose to drive it on a trip instead of a company paid rental.  Well at least the company paid for the gas!  Speaking of, it's the 4 cylinder and she gets 27mpg (EPA is 28) which is somewhat astonishing since she only got 39-41mpg in our old Prius (EPA 50).   I've gotten 36 mpg tank under great conditions (no a/c use, under 55mph, etc) in local driving.  Some owners complain about poor mpg and simply won't believe I could get such results from a 4,000lb AWD vehicle.  LOL   

I've only done oil changes and tire rotations (important as AWD cars don't like different sized tires) and the OC has by far been the easiest I've ever done on a car.  No ramps needed, there's a cut out for drain bolt access on the windage tray so you don't have to remove the tray like on the cmax, and the oil filter is mounted on top of the engine upside down so when you begin to remove it the remaining oil in the filter drains back into the engine and not all over the engine or onto the ground.  Smart.  We suffered a cracked front windshield which cost $600 to replace because it's heated.  Subaru determined they were defective at the heating element junction and reimbursed us within a week of sending in a copy of the repair receipt.  

We got the top of the line model with the safety package.  It has just about everything the CMax has except auto rain wipers but I added an aftermarket kit for that as we really like that feature.  The leather is much more luxurious/softer than the CMax.  The audio system sounds better but lacks punch.  Apps/interface aren't much better than Fords infamously poor Sync.   Rear cam/visibilty is good.  I prefer Ford's steering wheel controls/layout much more.  I prefer the eCVT over subaru's CVT which has fake shift points and a slight delay from R to D.   Bad CVT's are replaced not repaired.  The AWD eliminates torque steer and feels great powering out of tight turns (a planted and surefooted feeling).   With stock roof racks and the ability to tow 1,500 lbs (6cyl=3500lbs), the car is very capable vehicle.  

It's been a strong seller with many folks having to order and wait for the car they want so don't expect any big deals.  2016's are now rolling out.  Used 2014's have version 1 of the eyesight system.  Eyesight is easy to spot:  a dark square camera screen located on each side of the central rear view mirror.  I have driven through small towns including full stops at traffic lights without touching either the accelerator or brake pedals and only using the resume button on the steering wheel.  Freaky cool!

#10 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

Yes.  It's approaching one year old and has been great.  My wife loves it and affectionally calls it "scoobie".  She really appreciates all the safety features especially the adaptive cruise control and feels more safe and confident with them.  In fact, on one occasion during really poor driving conditions she chose to drive it on a trip instead of a company paid rental.  Well at least the company paid for the gas!  Speaking of, it's the 4 cylinder and she gets 27mpg (EPA is 28) which is somewhat astonishing since she only got 39-41mpg in our old Prius (EPA 50).   I've gotten 36 mpg tank under great conditions (no a/c use, under 55mph, etc) in local driving.  Some owners complain about poor mpg and simply won't believe I could get such results from a 4,000lb AWD vehicle.  LOL   

I've only done oil changes and tire rotations (important as AWD cars don't like different sized tires) and the OC has by far been the easiest I've ever done on a car.  No ramps needed, there's a cut out for drain bolt access on the windage tray so you don't have to remove the tray like on the cmax, and the oil filter is mounted on top of the engine upside down so when you begin to remove it the remaining oil in the filter drains back into the engine and not all over the engine or onto the ground.  Smart.  We suffered a cracked front windshield which cost $600 to replace because it's heated.  Subaru determined they were defective at the heating element junction and reimbursed us within a week of sending in a copy of the repair receipt.  

Just a note. The Subaru is full time AWD, rather than part time, so I don't see how differing tire dimensions would affect it?

On part time systems (most of the AWD out there), the system detects wheel slippage and engages the rear wheels. But that doesn't affect full time AWD systems.

Am I missing something?

#11 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

I like the way you're thinking Steve.  A part of me wonders though, If you were involved in a serious accident on the way to the airport to hand the car over to a customer and the insurance company got wind of what you were using the car for, would they try to avoid paying out?  

I think that so long as you were driving it, they would cover any accidents. Coverage is not based on what you are about to do with the car.

#12 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,270 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

Am I missing something?

In particular for the Subaru, yes, differences in tire sizes and thus rotation rates are made up by the clutch packs inside the diff's which can cause accelerated wear rates.

In general for AWD: http://www.tirerack....e.jsp?techid=18

On a somewhat related note: I've heard that on the CMax and other modern cars you can get a warning and possibly a deactivated ABS by running too small of a mini-spare.

Edited by fotomoto, 17 December 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

In particular, yes, differences in tire sizes and thus rotation rates are made up by the clutch packs inside the Subaru diff's which can cause accelerated wear rates.

In general: http://www.tirerack....e.jsp?techid=18

On a somewhat related note: I've heard that on the CMax and other modern cars you can get a warning and possibly deactivate the ABS by running too small of a mini-spare.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

#14 OFFLINE   mdntblu

mdntblu

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCorona, CA
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

I used Turo to rent a brand new 2015 Mercedes S550 for my 16th anniversary. It was AWESOME. 

I opted for the highest insurance level which the owner of the car confirmed that if anything was to happen to his car it would be fully covered. Even if I got into a massive accident and walked away from the car, etc. 

This was the car I rented. My review is there. 

https://turo.com/car...-s-class/128780

Edited by mdntblu, 22 December 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:37 AM

I used Turo to rent a brand new 2015 Mercedes S550 for my 16th anniversary. It was AWESOME. 
I opted for the highest insurance level which the owner of the car confirmed that if anything was to happen to his car it would be fully covered. Even if I got into a massive accident and walked away from the car, etc. 

This was the car I rented. My review is there. 
https://turo.com/car...-s-class/128780

That is a fine car. I bet you enjoyed that. His ad is well written complete with YouTube links.

My cmax is out on its second trip. The first renter's flight was delayed for an hour but the car was happy getting a free level two charge in the top car lot. I had to pay for my lunch, but he dropped me to my wife's job so I could take her car. His hotel was only around the corner from where he dropped me and he didn't venture much further. The only downside was he called me Sunday morning to say the car wouldn't start. He may have left the lights on. I told him I would be right over and take him to the airport in the camry if needs be. Thst was St 10am he called me back half an hour later to say he made a mistake in thinking that his flight was at 2pm. It was actually St 11 and he was leaving the car and making his own way to the airport. The car started right away with jump leads (defenately thinking of getting a mini booster pack). I didn't get any feedback or star rating from the customer which was a bit disappointing.

The car is on a one day trip now but the customer wants it for free for another day because her friend wasn't around to take the trip they had intended. I contacted turo.com and they were quite adamant thst she wouldn't be insured to drive outside of the rental hours. She said she would let me know before the trip is to finish at 11:30am if she can negotiate with TURO for a few hours extention as she doesn't want to pay the full $29 for another day. I've changed my rental settings to a 3 day minimum rental.

#16 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

Due to the success I'm having of renting out my C-Max on Turo, I'm thinking of putting a second car on it.  My 2002 Toyota Camry is too old (car can't be more than ten years old) plus theirs a drone noise that sounds like a wheel bearing but hasn't got any louder since we got the car almost a year ago.  

I'm undecided what to buy.  I was originally thinking of either a Ford Fusion hybrid or another Camry (hybrid).  However, I noticing that I am attracting clients who's primary goal is to save money on their rental costs with the C-Max.  Would a more luxurious car generate more income?  After talking to my father, he says he always tries to rent SUVs as they are easier for him to get in and out of.  He also likes the higher driving position.  So there's the Ford Escape or the Ford Edge.  I'm happy with the Fords because of the my ford mobile app where I can see where the car is.  An aftermarket system, as far as I can make out would cost around $30/month to track the car.  Although that could benefit more as it would give me data of how the car is/was driven in case of any speeding of unpaid toll fines.  I'm also quite keen on the Subaru XV our Outback.  I think they are a rugged and tough looking vehicle and it would be something I personally wouldn't hesitate to rent out being the sporty outdoor type that I am :happy feet: .  Someone else thought that given the fact I'm living in Florida, a convertible could be the way to go.  It certainty is nice driving around on days when it's not extremely hot with the roof down.  There's a Porsche Boxster and a Mercedes E370 convertible in the garage belong to the in-laws which really turn heads.  I was thinking of a more affordable 2012 Volkswagon Eos.  Unfortunately I think I would have to go up to a 2015 Ford Mustang to get the my Ford sync system.  Plus I'm a strong believer that once you start renting out cars with fast engines it could lead to problems with test pilots!   I could probably pick up a 2012 or 13 Mercedes for the right money but the problem is, once anything goes wrong with it, it's Mercedes money to get it back on the road again.  

Happy new year all!

#17 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hey Dave, any updates on your Turo experiences?

#18 OFFLINE   Joe Diver

Joe Diver

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOakland
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:Jeep GC

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:49 AM

Good information. I came here looking for stories of owners who have dealt with Turo after a renter causes damage. I had a renter get a chipped windshield that ended up cracking. I made a claim with Turo and they charged the driver over $400 (Including a $35 appraisal fee when I got the appraisal online, which was free) Turo reimbursed me just $80. (I had the basic protection plan) . They assured me this was their policy. Turo doesn't seem to have any problems acting immorally, (possibly illegally) or care about their renters or owners whatsoever.

• fotomoto likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·