Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Clicking in Charger and Charge Fault - Wrench warning light On

bad charger charging fault charger replacement

Best Answer altabrig , 01 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Don't worry, Ford made fuel freshness mode just because they anticipated use without gas for extended periods of time!
It doesn't need to have a temp sensor, I think. When the connection gets HOT the resistance goes UP. Should be able to recognize the decreased input V.

Well it was a good test. Maybe the module faults due to the heat and resistance decreasing the voltage as you point out JZ.

Cable and EVSE module/box get warm but the plug is the hot spot. Soon as the packs warmed it faulted. Put cold ones back on and it kept going.

I'll try polishing the prongs as suggested and see if that has effect. Plug should be bigger and have some fins on the insulating rubber as a heat sink. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

I think the one you linked is just 240V, but the one with the 110V adapter is not much more it seems:

http://www.ebay.com/...s-/252916052841

I did notice that it says 1 yr warranty, while the AV TuboCord has 3....

Didn't check the other brand you mentioned I'm afraid.

At the dealer prices you mention I would not buy another one. I'd grab the TurboCord or some other solution. I'm not sure we're covered beyond the basic 3 yr bumper to bumper on the second charger. Some policies would end at 3 years from vehicle purchase. Not sure about Ford. Would be great if they replace it on the house, but seems unlikely.

I may get the EBUSBAR  cheap 240 level 2 with the 10-30 Dryer plug off either Ebay or Amazon.   Probably end up cutting the plug and putting a heavier duty plug on the LEVEL ONE Ford OEM.

I would like to get some resolution or acknowledgement of the cord failure on the second EVSE from Ford. I have had this second since 10.15 but it has been faulting something terrible and getting worse since 12.16.

Last Friday was really bad as evidenced by the MFM notifications.    My Level 1 EVSE Plug gets hot in either a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord or straight into a discrete circuit heavy duty outlet.

• 08/19/2017 3:38:06 amChunk: Charge complete
  • 08/19/2017 12:05:21 amChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 11:01:06 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 8:19:30 pmChunk: Your vehicle is scheduled to begin charging soon and needs to be plugged in.
  • 08/18/2017 5:55:02 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 4:38:26 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 3:50:58 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 2:31:31 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 12:58:37 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 12:02:02 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 10:29:58 amChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault

Perhaps this will help someone else going down this road.  The dealership twice tested the car and could not find a problem with the on board charger.  The first EVSE  was under warranty for three years.  I was told by the dealership that the second EVSE only carried a 6 month warranty.   Maybe I am an extreme outlier as far as EVSE failure, but I recall a couple other posters whose EVSE cords went down.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

Cut the plug off the EVSE and install a new one, see if all your problems are gone?

-=>Raja.

#63 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yep.   After I have tried to get action from Ford corporate.  If I chop the EVSE now,  any attempt to get Ford to consider the failure would be done.

#64 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

So.  Yesterday was ridiculous.   

All these faults on the Ford 110Volt EVSE.   It only charged to 80% through all the faults.

• 08/26/2017 9:46:28 pmChunk: Your vehicle is scheduled to begin charging soon and needs to be plugged in.
  • 08/26/2017 8:21:51 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 7:44:38 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 7:12:29 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 6:34:34 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 6:01:30 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 4:47:33 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 4:19:13 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 3:50:32 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 3:21:32 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 2:18:32 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/26/2017 1:06:29 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault

This is the second EVSE to go down for me.  I will try to gain resolution on a good cord through Ford.  We'll see.

Has anyone chopped the plug?   I guess I can shave it back slow to see the connection points.  

I don't want to do it without documenting this with Ford.

Anyone else having this issue of the plug getting hot and cord faulting.   No problem with the actual circuit from the home.  Car charges fine on a Level 2 220 and other Level One EVSE cables.  

I am wondering if Ford has made some changes to the cables or I just got two bum ones.   The second one I got from the dealer is the same old 18 gauge with minimal plug insulation.  Thought maybe they just pulled one out of a car in stock after Ford Ok'd the replacement.

#65 OFFLINE   bobs

bobs

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

You are not letting it hang from the plug by any chance are you? The weight of the Eve's needs to be supported on it's own. There are places in the back of it to hang it.

Bob

#66 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:42 AM

You are not letting it hang from the plug by any chance are you? The weight of the Eve's needs to be supported on it's own. There are places in the back of it to hang it.
Bob

Yeah it hangs on monkey hooks or lays on a cement slab depending on where it is charging. I keep it unwound now too.

Has anyone chopped the plug and put a heavy duty one on? If so, did it stop the faults. I think someone posted that there is a heat sensor in the plug and chopping it kills the safety feature.

It faults in multiple outlets and on a 25ft 12 gauge extension.

#67 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 389 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

Does the plug actually get hot?  I have an old beloved computer that sometimes I put an ice pack underneath so it doesn't shut down from overheating.  You could try putting an ice pack or ice inside a zip lock, on or under the plug to see if that keeps it cool and not faulting.  If the plug is kept cool and it still faults, it's something internal to the charger....

#68 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Does the plug actually get hot?  I have an old beloved computer that sometimes I put an ice pack underneath so it doesn't shut down from overheating.  You could try putting an ice pack or ice inside a zip lock, on or under the plug to see if that keeps it cool and not faulting.  If the plug is kept cool and it still faults, it's something internal to the charger....

Yes.  Hotter than Satan's  (0(K.  The male prongs will burn your skin and the insulation has started to melt.  Whether in 12 gauge cord or in the outlet is gets hot.

I am a bit worried about the ice pack because of the heat and humidity right now.   Even if it is in the zips I am worried about the condensation moisture causing a short   Don't want to mess with it vertically on an outlet, so I am trying it now on the ground in the extension (ice packs on top and bottom in ziplocks).   Hasn't faulted in over an hour since being plugged in as is at 22%.   Two days ago it faulted 7 times (about every 10 minutes after cooling and plugging back in) and only got to 15% in 4 hours.

At this point with it charging smoothly,  I think that it is the plug getting too hot and probably triggering a sensor.   I think someone wrote that there is a sensor in the plug, but I don't think anyone has chopped and dissected the male EVSE plug yet.

I'll update if it faults when the packs get warm.  Hopefully the condensation will not be a problem.

Pretty sure it is the Level one EVSE heating up to hot.   Level two charges the car up no problem.     Not sure why they used such a dinky plug and 18 gauge?

#69 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Yes.  Hotter than Satan's  (0(K.  The male prongs will burn your skin and the insulation has started to melt.  Whether in 12 gauge cord or in the outlet is gets hot.

Pretty sure it is the Level one EVSE heating up to hot.   Level two charges the car up no problem.     Not sure why they used such a dinky plug and 18 gauge?

That's odd...  Pretty sure I have an older L1 Ford EVSE that doesn't have the temp sensor.  And I've not checked extensively but any time I've ever checked any of my outlets or cords they've never felt anything but occasionally barely warm...

But yeah, if it's only 18 gauge, off the top of my head that seems a bit under-rated for 12amps...

#70 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

That's odd...  Pretty sure I have an older L1 Ford EVSE that doesn't have the temp sensor.  And I've not checked extensively but any time I've ever checked any of my outlets or cords they've never felt anything but occasionally barely warm...

But yeah, if it's only 18 gauge, off the top of my head that seems a bit under-rated for 12amps...

I don't know either.  I haven't seen any schematics.  Someone posted a speculation that it did.   I have had two die.  First one didn't get hot for the first two years then went bad quick.   Got the first EVSE replaced under warranty in December of 15.    The second EVSE worked fine for 10 months and started going bad in October of 16.  That was about 10 months ago.  It has been a losing battle since.  

It used to fault once or twice every few charges last October.  Now  gets super hot within minutes and faults multiple times every single charge.   I posted pictures of the actual warning leds on the EVSE that light up when the charge faults.     

With the plug/extension being cooled by the ice packs now the EVSE is not faulting and charging as it should.   I have been trying to diagnose the problem with new outlets, extensions, etc.  everything shy of chopping the cord which may or may not have an embedded sensor.   I don't know, but wish someone who  had chopped one already or had a schematic of the EVSE could post a pic or their experience in detail.

#71 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

Just end the misery and cut the plug off, install a much better one and be done with it.

Once the plug gets heated up several times, the metal tarnishes and the contact becomes worse and you will get more and more heating easier.

-=>Raja.

#72 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Your probably right.  Have you chopped yours?

#73 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

No I haven't had to.  You could try to clean the prongs first with a dremel tool and wire brush attachment on it.  See if that helps first?  Mine gets warm and sometimes a little hotter depending on OAT but has not been an issue.  2nd charger since 2014, first original one from 2013 as you well know was taken.

-=>Raja.

#74 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

I'll hit it with a wire brush and see.    The ice has kept it on track to just under 50% so far.   Pretty sure the plug (an perhaps the tarnish) is the culprit.  What I don't get is the sensor's location that is registering the heat and shutting down the flow of electrons.

#75 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Ice packs reached ambient temp...BINGO. FAULT.

It will be Interesting to see if cleaning the prongs will keep it cooler.

#76 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Just end the misery

Agreed, just buy an inexpensive dual voltage EVSE, charge wherever you want and move on.

http://www.evcharges...-dual-combo.htm

#77 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Agreed, just buy an inexpensive dual voltage EVSE, charge wherever you want and move on.

http://www.evcharges...-dual-combo.htm

Yeah.    The easy purchase of a level 1 or 2 is not my issue.  But thank you for the DoStar link.  The Duosida, Dostars, and Ebusbars are excellent price point EVSEs.   Jeez, 4 years ago when I started looking the N-30 level 2 chargers were all $800 or more.

My issue and goals are:

1) To troubleshoot to find what exactly is the issue.

2) Get Ford to recognize that I have been given two  cords that have failed.  Cords that came with the car and were expected to have a much longer service life.

3) Recognize the $  gas savings for driving an electric car with ICE range.  Those savings are not realized by purchasing a new EVSE several times during a decade or more of ownership.

Before this goes sideways.  Some of us with 10-20 mile commutes bought the cars to drive mainly electric with the option to go the distance without the range issues.   

Ford knew that a large owner demographic would want a PHEV that could be run on only electric on a daily basis.  Ford marketed the Energi to those buyers.    Many buyers did not purchase the Energi to preserve and baby a battery, but rather to charge it and use it everyday.

I bought a car and charge cord with full expectation that I could use the battery for a short commute for 12-15 years without degredation to the point that the battery would be a small fraction of its original capacity.

In addition, I bought the car never thinking that my OEM Level one chargers would take a dump every year or two.   Perhaps I just got a couple crapper cords and that is tough.  But I would like to figure out why and get it replaced gratis with one that doesn't die.

That written, I will polish up them prongs.

Edited by altabrig, 01 September 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#78 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 389 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Don't worry, Ford made fuel freshness mode just because they anticipated use without gas for extended periods of time!

It doesn't need to have a temp sensor, I think. When the connection gets HOT the resistance goes UP. Should be able to recognize the decreased input V.

#79 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:02 PM   Best Answer

Well it was a good test. Maybe the module faults due to the heat and resistance decreasing the voltage as you point out JZ.

Cable and EVSE module/box get warm but the plug is the hot spot. Soon as the packs warmed it faulted. Put cold ones back on and it kept going.

I'll try polishing the prongs as suggested and see if that has effect. Plug should be bigger and have some fins on the insulating rubber as a heat sink.

Edited by altabrig, 01 September 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#80 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 389 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:00 PM

If there is nothing clearly visible on the bare metal, I would have to conclude that there is some sort of break inside the plug. I replaced several a faulty outlet in the house. It is difficult to figure which circuit breaker to turn off, so at times I've tried it live. Of course with AC It was easy to get a shock. But anyways, I did not realize that you needed to really tighten the screws down onto the bare wire. If not, the outlet gets HOT and burns out! I could see where the plastic melted right where the screw was. Connection was made, but not tight enough to allow the electricity to flow well, aka resistance. Lesson learned, tighten really tight! So basically the inside of your plug has developed some sort of break or poor connection. Replacing the plug, as advised, should remedy the situation. (I personally think Ford should cover it. That is a defect type of failure....)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad charger, charging fault, charger replacement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·