Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Clicking in Charger and Charge Fault - Wrench warning light On

bad charger charging fault charger replacement

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

If it were mine, I would replace both the plug and the outlet with commercial/industrial/hospital grade replacement parts and see if it resolved the problem.

Don't use those cheap builder's grade receptacles.  And DON'T use the push on terminals, ALWAYS use the SCREW IN terminals !

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

So I had it on a dedicated 15 and tried a dedicated 20 amp outlet.   Still faulting and getting hot hot hot!

Not sure if I am going to cut the plug off yet.   The outlets are kind of shady and the advice to put in a hospital grade would probably be my best bet.  Definitely no push in cheapos.

#43 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

If it worked for several months and then stopped, I highly doubt it is the outlet's fault.  Soon after getting my wife's C-MAX she got a Leviton 40 A unit installed.  It might be a good consideration as in all this time I think only once it stopped working.  I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and everything has been fine since.

#44 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

Charge cord still faulting and stopping the charge anytime the car is charged within a couple hours of hvb usage. If the car has rested 4+ hours or has been driven on the ICE for with the AC going, the cable will charge without faulting most of the time. Seems like the faulting issue has as much to do with the HVB temp as the ambient temperature at the recepticle.

Did charge the car on a 220 at LACMA yesterday and now MFM isn't updating and I cannot switch the car back to value charge either on MFM or on the MFD.

#45 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Following up to this post:http://fordcmaxenerg...ons/#entry46500

I unwind the cable.. Fan is on. Stonge fan. Varies depending in heat and time of charge, ambient temperature, how long since using HVB, ETC.. Cable housing box gets hot then second warning light goes on.

I do use an extension at another location,faulting still occurs. Plug and cable box get hot, but the faulting (over many months seems to correlate most with hot HVB and high ambient temperature.

I ain't popping the rear seats every charge. I got two kid seats car seats there and that would be a tedious way to deal with the under engineering of the HVB cooling system. I will give the extension a shot at home. The one I use at the in laws probably causes too much resistance due to length.

I believe the manual discourages the use of extensions with the charge cable.

Edited by altabrig, 19 July 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

At this point I gave you all my suggestions, what's left is that you either return the EVSE for another one or cut the plug off and replace it and see what happens.  I assume the car charges OK on 240v, if not then I would address that at the dealer, you might have some other issue.

-=>Raja.

#47 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Despite my enthusiasm for the Cmax as a fun and practical vehicle with small environmental and pocketbook advantages if driven mainly EV, mine has been beleaguered with charging and battery issues of early and late since 2/2013.

I enjoy the car and would like to use it mainly EV for at least another decade or 120-150k miles more (currently 45k. The large decrease in HVB capacity, the TCU/software/dead 12 volt issue, and failure of two charge cables after about a year of use each keeps me realistic but still slightly optimistic about getting the value out of the vehicle.

I really wanted to fanboy Ford and hopefully they will keep my loyalty so I can eventually move to an EV or plug in hybrid F-150. As a first model year adopter I am willing to work year the first year bugs, glitches and real engineering flaws as long as Ford has my and my family's back. I will probably splice in a new plug after review the issue with Ford corporate. My local dealer is a dead end and cannot perform simple TSBs per Ford protocol.

Edited by altabrig, 19 July 2017 - 09:31 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

How about you just trade that car in for a new one?  You need to start over fresh with a new HVB anyways.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 19 July 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#49 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

My local dealer is a dead end and cannot perform simple TSBs per Ford protocol.

You have really had many issues, you need to find a capable/ wiling dealer to service your vehicle !

#50 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

How about you just trade that car in for a new one?  You need to start over fresh with a new HVB anyways.

-=>Raja.

Maybe you can give him tips on getting his totaled.  (kidding, that was in poor taste, I admit)

#51 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Ford is now working with us to get another dealer to competently do the TCU TSB. The follow up phone call to our letter regarding the TCU service debacle got a response and a show of proper goodwill.

I would have pulled the hitch and mats and traded it in, but our confidence is shaken with he 12v/TCU issue that is still occurring in the 17s and the ongoing charge issue. I would rather fix it and make this car work.

Trust me that option was seriously considered.

#52 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

It faulted several times in a row yesterday and faults about 5-10 minutes after plugging in today.   Sure would be nice to have a full charge without plugging it in after the charge cable and plug cools 6-7 times.   

After 5 hours it is less than 25% charged today.

Mine has done this five times in the last 5 hours.  

My second charge cable faults and stops charging almost every time.  FUN!  

It is not the outlet.  I have done the troubleshooting, installed new outlets on a discrete circuit and tried 12 gauge extensions.

• 08/18/2017 3:50:58 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 2:31:31 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 12:58:37 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 12:02:02 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 08/18/2017 10:29:58 amChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault

#53 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Your problem might be the internal charger inside the car, or the cooling for it. Good luck hope you get it sorted.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 18 August 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

Your problem might be the internal charger inside the car, or the cooling for it. Good luck hope you get it sorted.

-=>Raja.

Thanks.

Car charges fine on other level one and two charge cables.

It just faulted again. Going for seven in a row and up to 40% charge.

Pretty sad after seven hours to be a forty percent. Especially considering that with my diminished capacity HVB, the battery charges from 0% to 100% in a little over 4 hours on level 1 and a little under 1.5 hours on level 2.

#55 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

It sounds like a replacement charger is in order. I got a mailing about this one. It does both level one and level two charging, and has a 3 year warranty:

http://store.evsolut...listed-p28.aspx

Hopefully it lasts longer than the OE unit! (I'm not on good terms with the significant other, otherwise I would ask her about hers).

#56 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

Car charges fine on other level one and two charge cables.

It just faulted again. Going for seven in a row and up to 40% charge. 

Really?  So why are you harping on how many resets and 40% after several hours when you know exactly what the problem is?

Get a replacement charger either from the dealer or buy another on ebay and save yourself all the headache posts.  I thought you didn't know what the issue is.  Now that you do its simple to get it fixed.  You can certainly complain to the dealer about the charger, if no luck there try to replace the plug end of the charger and see what happens, if no luck there just buy another one.  Mine got stolen back in 2014, crap happens, I bought another one from Ebay.

-=>Raja.

#57 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

It sounds like a replacement charger is in order. I got a mailing about this one. It does both level one and level two charging, and has a 3 year warranty:
http://store.evsolut...listed-p28.aspx
Hopefully it lasts longer than the OE unit! (I'm not on good terms with the significant other, otherwise I would ask her about hers).

Thanks. I have seen them as low as $215 for a level 2 N 10-30. Both the duosida and esubar brands. I know nothing about their reliability.

http://www.ebay.com/...738.m2548.l4275

I don't know why I have two charge cords fail. Certainly seems worth harping on though if only to document a premature part failure that SHOULD last the life of the vehicle. If someone else experiences this perhaps this will help them.

If Ford replaced it again after less than two years, I will post it.

If I have to buy a new one because this fails completely in less than two years I will let you know what I go with and post a performance review.

If anyone has tried one of the cheaper level 2 chargers and can post feedback that would be great.

If I was looking to buy a C max I would like to know that some charge cord are failing in less than two years of usage and the dealer wants $500-$700 for a new one.

Yes certainly crap happens. I am sorry your cable was stolen Raja. A stolen cable doesn't seem to be a generous nor particularly thoughtful comparison to a cable that fails prematurely.

Raja, you have posted over 3000 times here, many of them thoughtful posts trying to educate Cmax owners on HVB usage to prolong battery life.

Thus, it is hard to understand the snarky irritation caused by my posting and documenting the MFM notifications of successive charge faults on my vehicle.

The rational albeit cynical explanation would have me suspect employment by Ford in a social media and information capacity, but since that is cynical I will accept that you are just passionate about the car (as many of us are).

Since you have been so thoughtful and passionate in you numerous post perhaps you can allow me to post information that is important to me with the condescension in your responses.

I appreciate your informative insights, but it is lost when you come across as irritated and authoritative. Peace.

#58 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

Sorry I have to apologize I do have a passion for this car (not working for Ford really!) though my wife thinks I should write a book about it.

Yes my charger was stolen, I bought a new one.

The original one I had for 13 months.

The new used one from Ebay I've had since the original was stolen, now 3 years short 3 month.  

I got a new charger with  my new 2017 Cmax, but I'm not even using that one, still in its storage place.  I'm using the one I bought from Ebay to this day.

I'm sorry you're having a problem with yours, not sure why you're unlucky with that.

I try to help people here all the time, I agree I was quick with the response above and didn't mean to make it sound like I was irritated.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

-=>Raja.

#59 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 410 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

I think the one you linked is just 240V, but the one with the 110V adapter is not much more it seems:

http://www.ebay.com/...s-/252916052841

I did notice that it says 1 yr warranty, while the AV TuboCord has 3....

Didn't check the other brand you mentioned I'm afraid.

At the dealer prices you mention I would not buy another one. I'd grab the TurboCord or some other solution. I'm not sure we're covered beyond the basic 3 yr bumper to bumper on the second charger. Some policies would end at 3 years from vehicle purchase. Not sure about Ford. Would be great if they replace it on the house, but seems unlikely.

#60 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

Sorry I have to apologize I do have a passion for this car (not working for Ford really!) though my wife thinks I should write a book about it.

I would buy a copy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad charger, charging fault, charger replacement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·