Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Clicking in Charger and Charge Fault - Wrench warning light On

bad charger charging fault charger replacement

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

Hi Gang,

Hope your Cmax's are great.   I have continued to lose battery capacity, but I am mostly driving in EV.   Almost 40k on the car and 33-34K is EV.  So my totally battery usage including regen and the hybrid mode is about 4.0 KWH per discharge using conservative hypermiling tactics.

Got charge cord issues again.  They started in August with the wrench light in the car and the warning light on the charge cord flashing.   I got it to reset and the wrench hasn't reappeared - yet.

However, I am now getting the warning flasher on the charge cord regardless of where I plug in the 110 charge cord (home, relatives, other outlet, etc.)   It has failed to start charging three times now and flashes the warning every time on the charge cord circuitry housing.

DSCF2160

This is the exact notification warning  I was receiving on MFM when the last cord failed.   On the 29th it failed 3 times in a row, however MFM only logged it as one failure.  The 10/29 faults and 10/31 faults were at different locations.  So it is not the outlet.

From MFM:

• 10/29/2016 4:09:51 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault
  • 10/31/2016 9:29:04 pmChunk: Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault

Warning light every charge:

DSCF2158

I have been hoping (willful ignorance) that it would go away.   But the last time this pattern went its course, the charge cord died and would not begin the charge cycle period.  The solution was a new cord (the one they gave me at the dealer didn't have packaging so I will assume new).  It worked for 8 months and has struggled for two.   Right now the warning flasher is on but the car is charging.   Last weekend it failed to begin the cycle twice.

I am not happy with the cord starting to fail again in exactly the same manner as it failed a year ago.  When I brought it to the local FORD dealer in late August that originally replaced it,  they told me I was out of luck for the warranty on the cord would cover only 6 months.  HUH?

Hopefully,  Ford will do the right thing.   I did not expect that to be an item to ever replace during a long car ownership.   Replacing such an item every year or two would be ridiculous and surely bite way too deep into any savings afforded by driving on E.

Anyone else having similar luck with charge cord.  Love to hear other insights,  experiences, or sage advice as to how to resolve this if the unfortunate inevitability of a dead charge cord repeats itself.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

Is the plug getting hot? Have you tried to use a high grade extension between the Chargers plug and the outlet?

I use an extension and it works Better than plugging the charger directly into the outlet, the plug is cooler.

-=>Raja.

#23 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

Thanks.  I have tried a new outlet (install) and different outlets at home and at the in-laws and also used a 10 guage cord.   Same results at this point.

#24 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

Sorry to hear you damaged your HVB already, did you recharge often during the days and leave it 100% charged so it's always ready to go?

-=>Raja.

#25 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

Used as I should driven everyday and charged everynight.   Sometimes charged twice daily.  

Not sure the HVB is damaged or has bad cells, but a year ago it lost capacity from the 5.7 (or whatever it was originally) and dropped to 4kwh where it remains.   I have lost range for sure.

Regardless,   the car never sits idle.  It is being driven and recharged.  Lots of complete discharges, lots of partial discharges,  but 99% of  the time it is recharged  (once or twice a year I forget to plug it in when I come home late).

Normal usage and charge pattern as the car, cord, and battery were engineered to do.

#26 OFFLINE   Cbrax

Cbrax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationHawaii
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

I've had problems with my 2016 CMAX Energi since shortly after leasing it in April 2016. It was dead, after charging, three different times. Ford replaced the battery in June 2016. The past couple of months I've been having a flashing check outlet signal. The car sometimes stops charging. I tried different outlets and contacted an electrician. I'm taking the car back into Ford, but I won't hold my breath that they will find anything, they didn't when I took it in before.

#27 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

I keep having the light issues and the charge cord module gets hot and stops charging and two warning lights go on on the charge cord module.  Temps have drops the last week and the charge cord has worked flawlessly.   

Could the issue be ambient temperature related?  By mental science it seems as though the problems have occurred during times of high temperatures.   Not looking forward to the cords failure.

Gotta go in for the MFM module and a door latch (I think) recall.   I don't expect any help from the dealership with the cord issue, but I will mention it again.

#28 OFFLINE   jjanner

jjanner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSouthern Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

About a week ago I started getting the same errors with my charging cord. The original one with my 13 C-Max Energi was replaced at about 11 months as the 110v plug (voltage source) partially melted. Now, after about two years and four months, the replacement cord is triggering the "Scheduled charge did not begin - external fault" errors after a few minutes of attempting a charge. I do note the plug gets hot (but not melting) so I tried using an ice pack to see if that would have any affect. It did chill the plug but the problem was untouched, so it may not be a hot plug or ambient temp issue. The dealer says replacements come from outside of Ford and take a month or two. It appears to be treated (properly) as under the electric drive portion of the warranty. BTW, I'm in south Florida, semi-tropics. 50k of EV miles, and HV battery is at about 70% of new capacity.

#29 OFFLINE   jjanner

jjanner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

Update: The overnight (charging time) air temps here in south Florida dropped into the 50s and 60s during the past few days. The above mentioned problems stopped.

Does anyone know where the charging cord heat sensor is located? Is it in the 110v plug, or the body of the unit, or ?

#30 OFFLINE   jjanner

jjanner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Another damn update: Temps in south Florida have risen back to daytime highs in 80's, lows to mid-60's. And the charging cord is working normally at night and during the day. Weird. Hardware does not fix itself. Not sure what is happening, but I'm in wait-and-see mode now.

#31 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

Mine faults every charge.  I am on pins and needles and hoping this one doesn't die as the last one did.

#32 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:53 PM

To top off the issues we are having with the mysterious dead 12v and TSB ripoff,. My second charge cord is now overheating and showing both red warning lights. It is now failing to complete the charge every time. To get a full charge the cord must cool and be plugged in 3-4 times every charge.

Hope you guys don't have these issues, my car is turning into a nightmare. I will post charge cord pics and spend more time documenting and trying to resolve problems Ford can't diagnose nor resolve. I would much rather be spending my time enjoying a reliable car.

#33 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

If anyone has any idea how to fix this charge cord, I would love to hear it.   It is overheating and stopping the charge 2 -3 times every charge up.   I can't change the ambient garage temp and starting the charge at midnight everyday isn't really the option.   It is going to be hot in the garage now through October and I am not sanguine about the cord's (my second) future.

Here is what the warnings are now.  The outlets are fine.  It does this on multiple outlets.

Double Fault

#34 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

Try it on a dedicated 15A outlet

#35 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

I think it is 15.  I will double check.

Here was last night's charge.  Stopped 4 times total.  The messages are incorrect, because it was charging than faulted.   It is the cord not the circuit.

#36 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

My wife plugged it in at home a half hour ago and it started charging.  

Just got the MFM email that is stopped.  It is getting old.

#37 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:14 AM

Looks like you're going to have to either get that EVSE cooler or get a different EVSE...

#38 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Are you in the areas with super hot weather? I'd bet that will cause some problems.

#39 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

Have you tried something like putting a fan right next to it just for a bit more cooling as a slightly possible cheap fix?

#40 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 356 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

From the collective experiences described in this thread and many other threads for Ford, Nissan and Chevy plug-ins, I think that once the plug connector has been overheated and turned on the red outlet fault, The plug should be considered damaged by the overheating condition and the safety feature has done it's job and prevented a fire by stopping the charging. The damaged plug should be replaced, and the outlet is suspect due to it having been connected to the plug when the overheating occurred. You might be able to stop the fault by cutting the factory plug off and replacing it with the highest quality replacement plug that you can find, but recognize that the replacement plug will no longer have the overheat protection safety feature to prevent, a fire should the outlet overheat again in the future.

It is important to recognize that drawing 12A for hours on end through a regular household outlet is Extreme duty.  If it were mine, I would replace both the plug and the outlet with commercial/industrial/hospital grade replacement parts and see if it resolved the problem.  Without the safety feature built in to the original plug, it becomes even more important that all of the components are of the highest quality.  If you only use the EVSE in this location, I would consider installing L5-15 (round, locking) plug and receptacle as replacements since the locking version of the plug and socket are generally higher quality that the regular 5-15 components.

• RubyMax likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad charger, charging fault, charger replacement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·