Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Clicking in Charger and Charge Fault - Wrench warning light On

bad charger charging fault charger replacement

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

So the charger is clicking from the box and the light goes from blinking (charging) to solid Green after the car goes through its ring light cycle and the ring lights start permanently flashing and the wrench goes on in the dash cluster.  The ev battery is currently completely discharged.

Didn't charge up last night and isn't going to charge tonight.  Been using the same outlet for almost 3 years and it is in fine shape with plenty of amps on the circuit.   Not sure if the vehicle diagnostics are causing the problem or the charger.  I suspect the charger due to the click from the plastic charge box that I have not heard before.

Any thoughts.  I tried to find the posts by the guy who had his 110 charger replaced, but couldn't find any of them.  I have read that this could be related to the 12v. But my 12v has been flawless, so I am not sure why it would cause the charger to keep clicking and faulting during the beginning of the charge cycle.   But I am out of my depth to diagnose the issue.

Any insights or experiences related would be appreciated before I schlep over to the dealer in pucker mode . Thanks.

Also, after the drive train module reprogram I seem to have lost a little range, but it could be other factors.

Edited by altabrig, 07 December 2015 - 07:54 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

Have read that the charger is under warranty and that it isn't.  Anyone know the real deal? Seems like it should be when your shelling out the bucks for the plug in.  

#3 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

The 1st thing I would try would be to charge at a public charger and see if the car has the same problem.  That would help you to determine wither it is the EVSE causing the error, or something with the car.  I believe the EVSE is covered under warranty as there have been several accounts of people getting them replaced.

#4 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:29 AM

I have read that other owner's were able to get their chargers replaced under warranty.  They were still under the original 36 month/36000 mile bumper to bumper factory warranty.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:50 AM

I did have my charger replaced under warrantee since I am only at 32k miles. I also did confirm that the car charged properly with a level 2 charger. In my car the original charger was still able to charge the car but would not shut down the charge cycle when disconnecting prior to completely filling the HVB. I was able to convince them that this was a safety issue and they did not hesitate to replace the charger. If you charger is not working at all and a level 2 charger works it should not be difficult to get it replaced. After getting the replacement charger I noticed that it stayed much cooler than the original one.

Note that I also had a different incident of being unable to get the car to charge with any charger. The light ring would circle a couple of times but the charge cycle would not start up. In this case they replaced the 12V battery and all was well. I was skeptical of this repair since I drove the car as a hybrid for a week without incident while waiting for my appointment. They did inform me that the 12V battery failed their testing.

Neither of these issue caused any fault message or warning light on the dash displays.

Tom

• fotomoto likes this

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:50 AM

Although you said you are reasonably sure, you really should try another plug that's on a different circuit just to completely rule that out.  

On other forums, I've read of the stock EVSE's going out due to a blown interior fuse that's "unserviceable" by the consumer but not the DIY crowd.

#7 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:11 AM

I tried another outlet with the same results - constant green on charger and the charge ring going psyco disco.

Now the wrench light is off and engine warning is on. I am going to stop by a public charger on the way to the dealer to see if it will charge. Bringing my charger with me.

#8 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:13 AM

Although you said you are reasonably sure, you really should try another plug that's on a different circuit just to completely rule that out.  

On other forums, I've read of the stock EVSE's going out due to a blown interior fuse that's "unserviceable" by the consumer but not the DIY crowd.

Love to know which fuse to replace it that is the cause.

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

Love to know which fuse to replace it that is the cause.

Yeah that would be great but in those cases the EVSE was, unlike yours, completely DOA.

#10 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2012 Nissan Leaf SV

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

First off, the cord that came buried beneath the floor behind the driver's seat - the one you plug into the wall and the car - is NOT your charger.  It is your "EVSE" or Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.  It is basically a smart safety device in an extension cord.  The charger is built into the car.  It can accept either 120V or 240V input.  It sucks as much current as the EVSE signals that the charger is allowed to pull from the circuit.  Your charger is always with you, even if you leave your EVSE hanging in the garage.I

If I'm parsing this conversation correctly, the OP does not have a problem with his EVSE, but his actual charger.  My car is a ctually in the shop now for the symptoms described above.  First I got the wrench, and then the check engine light.  This is disappointing since I've only had the car for 3 months / 3000 miles.  If Ford tries to bill me for this service, you better believe that I'm going to fight it.  If this isn't covered under warranty, their warranty is useless.

• altabrig likes this

#11 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

First off, the cord that came buried beneath the floor behind the driver's seat - the one you plug into the wall and the car - is NOT your charger.  It is your "EVSE" or Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.  It is basically a smart safety device in an extension cord.  The charger is built into the car.  It can accept either 120V or 240V input.  It sucks as much current as the EVSE signals that the charger is allowed to pull from the circuit.  Your charger is always with you, even if you leave your EVSE hanging in the garage.I

If I'm parsing this conversation correctly, the OP does not have a problem with his EVSE, but his actual charger.  My car is a ctually in the shop now for the symptoms described above.  First I got the wrench, and then the check engine light.  This is disappointing since I've only had the car for 3 months / 3000 miles.  If Ford tries to bill me for this service, you better believe that I'm going to fight it.  If this isn't covered under warranty, their warranty is useless.

If you are only at 3000 miles, and it is a 2015 as in your "signature", not sure why you are getting so defensive about the warranty.  You do know you have a 3 year/36000 mile BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty, correct? 

As for the cord which you are saying is a smart safety device in an extension cord, I think at least 99% of any Ford Energi owner would continue to call it a charger.  I know I will.

#12 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

I didn't mean to come off as so defensive, sorry about that.  I've just heard too many horror stories from others regarding warranty claims.

Regarding the cord, I know that most plug-in drivers will continue to call it a "charger".  And I will continue to correct them.  It really is confusing to call things by the wrong name, and this thread is a perfect example of that.  It was not clear at first reading it whether the OP had an issue with his actual charger or his charging cable.

#13 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

Chunk was at the dealership all day - left it at 7am. Think they only looked at it after I called at 4pm because only then did I get the MFM alert that Chunk had been plugged in and then faulted.

"Running dianostics and probably need to replace a module" that manages the plug in battery charge. The quote was about all I got from the service rep aside from denying that Ford would cover a loaner/rental during this inconvenience while under warranty.

Got home issues that would have made a loaner helpful. Maybe the car would be repaired tomorrow or in a couple of days is what the rep told me.

How long you folks been stuck without wheels while under warranty while your Energi was being repaired? I had 3 days for major repair (posted in August 2013) in 108 degree Mesquite, 3 for recalls, one for repair of damage during recall, and one today. So I am at 8 days and counting.

The engine light went on and stayed on too. Ran the vehicle report, but the information generated is useless - basically it was could be a missfire, tranny, any power train issue so take it to a dealer.

Not the peace of mind I want with two months of warranty left and 32kmiles (less than 6k ICE) on the vehicle. Could be worse and be two months after warranty.

Makes me think about one of those rip off extended warranty plans. Would never consider it for an ICE only vehicle. Hope Ford takes care of the early adopter guineas.

I know the hybrid battery and emissions on my old Prius was covered for 10 years in CA. Hope this battery system doesn't charge me up the wazoo for trying to cut down on gas and save a few sheckles in turn.

Edited by altabrig, 08 December 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

Makes me think about one of those rip off extended warranty plans. Would never consider it for an ICE only vehicle. Hope Ford takes care of the early adopter guineas.

I'm keeping mine long term so I got a Ford extended warranty (ESP) a few months back.  It includes rentals too which is important to me as my closest Energi dealer is a fair bit away; however, my local Ford dealer has done all my recall/software updates so far so I haven't had to travel back to the original EV certified dealership for any servicing.

Edited by fotomoto, 08 December 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

I got a couple of TXT messages during the day implying that Ford was plugging and unplugging my car, so I knew they were looking at it.  They told me they'd call by 4 either way with an update, but when I hadn't heard from them by 5 I gave them a call.  They said that the code thrown was the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) was bad.  It sounds like you and I are in pretty much the same boat.

The part has been ordered, should be in today or tomorrow, and they claim the work will be done by the end of the day on Friday.  In the meantime, I didn't get a loaner either, so my wife and I are carpooling with a single car.  If we pick it up on Friday, it will have been 4 days without the CMax or a loaner.  It's a real hassle, since we work different schedules and opposite directions from home.  I was told that if work wasn't complete on Friday that I could get a loaner for the weekend.  For me, this is more important since the kids having conflicting activities this weekend.  Having two cars will be necessary to get them to all of them.

• altabrig likes this

#16 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:24 AM

As for the cord which you are saying is a smart safety device in an extension cord, I think at least 99% of any Ford Energi owner would continue to call it a charger.  I know I will.

My family calls the iPhone Sync cable a charger, but we all know the cube is the charger.  I correct them on that too !!

#17 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

I got a couple of TXT messages during the day implying that Ford was plugging and unplugging my car, so I knew they were looking at it.  They told me they'd call by 4 either way with an update, but when I hadn't heard from them by 5 I gave them a call.  They said that the code thrown was the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) was bad.  It sounds like you and I are in pretty much the same boat.

The part has been ordered, should be in today or tomorrow, and they claim the work will be done by the end of the day on Friday.  In the meantime, I didn't get a loaner either, so my wife and I are carpooling with a single car.  If we pick it up on Friday, it will have been 4 days without the CMax or a loaner.  It's a real hassle, since we work different schedules and opposite directions from home.  I was told that if work wasn't complete on Friday that I could get a loaner for the weekend.  For me, this is more important since the kids having conflicting activities this weekend.  Having two cars will be necessary to get them to all of them.

Looks like we indeed are in the same boat in more ways than one.  Got the wife, toddler, and infant taking me to work.   I know my car sat until 4 instead of getting on it bright and early.  So the dealership cost me an extra day without the car.  Nobody was in line either when I dropped it off with the 6 service reps waiting for customers.  

I plan on keeping this car and maintaining it for as long as possible, but it it becomes a fiasco with expensive battery system component repairs I will have to cut bait and look for reliability and efficiency elsewhere.   I am hoping that FORD does right by me and anyone else with a 2013 ENERGI with the first model year support.

#18 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

Service rep called today at 5 pm. They have to put the car back together so it will be another day without Chunk. They installed the module that controls the battery charge and found out that it didn't have an effect! The tech realized it was my bad charge cord as I had guessed. Apparently they then proceeded to take out the new module and put the old one back in, but didn't have time to button up the trim pieces.

They are ordering a new charge cord. Three days without the car because they did not start troubleshooting with the easiest test and likely causation based on the information I gave them. Hopefully no more shenanigans or Snafus with this one. I will lose my patience if they try to charge me for the cord.

Well see I wouldn't be surprised if more issues popped up before this is resolved. Will keep you updated.

#19 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the update.  I haven't heard back from Ford, although I'm going to call them soon.  I would hate to have them take apart my car only to find the new part doesn't help!

I found this notice when I google'd BECM:

http://oemdtc.com/15...rd-c-max-fusion

I'm going to bring this to the mechanics' attention, maybe it's a software issue?

I ended up borrowing my father's 2nd car in the interim - it's an old Honda Prelude.  It sure is fun to row through the gears again by hand, but I miss the silent responsiveness of an electric power train.  It also kills me to be dumping tons of smelly exhaust, not to mention slowing down by grinding two pieces of metal together instead of charging a battery - how primitive!

#20 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the update.  I haven't heard back from Ford, although I'm going to call them soon.  I would hate to have them take apart my car only to find the new part doesn't help!

I found this notice when I google'd BECM:

http://oemdtc.com/15...rd-c-max-fusion

I'm going to bring this to the mechanics' attention, maybe it's a software issue?

I ended up borrowing my father's 2nd car in the interim - it's an old Honda Prelude.  It sure is fun to row through the gears again by hand, but I miss the silent responsiveness of an electric power train.  It also kills me to be dumping tons of smelly exhaust, not to mention slowing down by grinding two pieces of metal together instead of charging a battery - how primitive!

Thanks.  I copied the update # on the BECM false code issue.  I took it in and dropped it off for the master tech at the dealership before work.  The service rep told me the tech has a 2013 Energi too. If so I would expect he would already be aware.  

I realized my battery capacity dropped from 5.4 KWH to 4.4 KWH in October based on MFM information.

Hopefully they snap the trim back without scratches and busted clips and push pins and the new charge cord does the trick. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad charger, charging fault, charger replacement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·