Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Any Experience Using a Cmax Energi w Studded Snow Tires?

snow tires snow tires

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lkushner

lkushner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:Prius

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

I am in CT and I just yesterday purchased a 2013 cmax Energi with 17,000 miles. I am thinking about putting 205/60R16 SR Winter Grip tires with studs or General Altima Arctic with studs. I live on a hill with a 35 degree incline and my Prius with Blizzak WS 70 did not make it up if the snow was over 5 inches or so .Doe any one have any experience with the cmax driving it with studded snow tires and does anyone have any experience with driving it with 16 inch snow tires?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

Studded tires were banned in MN in the late 70's or early 80's because they damaged the roads so badly. I'm surprised that any State would still allow studded tires considering the cost of road repair vs. the inconvenience of people getting stuck. To answer your question, I do not have any experience driving my C-Max with studded snow tires. I do have experience with 16" snow tires and the only differences I notice is road noise and it's a little soft in curves.

Edited by timwil56, 06 December 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:24 AM

The folks in the North East get some brutal winters !

http://www.townfairt...tire-stud-laws/

#4 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:48 AM

SCC (Peerless Chain) SZ137 should fit....

#5 OFFLINE   lkushner

lkushner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments and input. I think based on your comments I am going to go with 215/60R16 with Andros N1 rims machined w anthracite accents. Now big question is which tires? Based upon comments I don't think I want to go wth studs any longer as I don't want to destroy my newly paved driveway. I believe the issue is more packed compressed snow on my street with a 35% incline rather than ice. So do you think I am better off with Blizzaks WS 80s, Michelin Xice-xI3, General Altimax Arctic, Firestone Winterforce, or Dunlop Winter Maxx. The Tire Rack rep felt that the Blizzaks would be better than the Michelin xice-xI3 for my situation but I did not ask him about the Generals, Firestones, or Dunlops.

Any comments? Any experience with these tires. It seems most people on the cMax boards have the Michelins.

#6 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

I have the Blizzak WS70s on both our C-Max and Escape.  They make a world of difference, specifically on the C-Max.  Excellent grip on snow and slippery conditions.  I imagine the newer WS80s are as good or better.

#7 OFFLINE   mitrals

mitrals

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationChicago IL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

I have the same Blizzak WS70 on both my CMAX and Escape and they work well. Chicago got 18 inches of snow in 1 day and the CMAX drove like a champ!

#8 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

I have the same Blizzak WS70 on both my CMAX and Escape 

We're like twins !!

#9 OFFLINE   mitrals

mitrals

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationChicago IL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

We're like twins !!

:). Picked up the 16" steel wheels and tires as a set on both cars. Yup my Escape rides on 16"

#10 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, last I had looked years ago Tire Rack had done testing and the studless Blizzaks were outperforming the studs in I believe all categories.  They've been my pick for years as well.

Though the Prius does stop at about 6" of thickish snow as that's when it starts plowing snow.  Prius' do not make good plows.  (:

#11 OFFLINE   lkushner

lkushner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

I traded it my 2004 Prius with 195,000 mile for the 2013 CMax Energi with 17,000 miles. I am loving the CMax so far as it has a far superior ride, comfort, and it feels like a minI SUV. I can do 80 mph on the highway and the CMax handles like a champ. I had the Blizzaks WS 70 on my Prius and was generally impressed with the tire but there were many time I could not make it up my hill with a 35% incline. I wonder how the CMax Energi will perform with the Blizzaks versus the Michelin xicei3. I also drive a 2015 Hyundai Genesis and have the Michelin's xicei3 from the 2012 Genesis that I traded that I will will be putting on the new Genesis. Now I had difficulty getting up my street with the Genesis with the snow tires but the 2012 was rear wheel drive and my 2015 is all wheel drive so I don't expect any problems. So do you think the CMax Energi will do better than the Prius in the snow due to the added weight of the battery and do you think the Blizzaks will out perform the Michelins. Now if we only had some snow in sight in CT I would pull the trigger and order the new wheels and tires for the CMax. I am inclined to go with the Blizzaks.

#12 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:13 AM

I traded it my 2004 Prius with 195,000 mile for the 2013 CMax Energi with 17,000 miles. I am loving the CMax so far as it has a far superior ride, comfort, and it feels like a minI SUV. I can do 80 mph on the highway and the CMax handles like a champ. I had the Blizzaks WS 70 on my Prius and was generally impressed with the tire but there were many time I could not make it up my hill with a 35% incline. I wonder how the CMax Energi will perform with the Blizzaks versus the Michelin xicei3. I also drive a 2015 Hyundai Genesis and have the Michelin's xicei3 from the 2012 Genesis that I traded that I will will be putting on the new Genesis. Now I had difficulty getting up my street with the Genesis with the snow tires but the 2012 was rear wheel drive and my 2015 is all wheel drive so I don't expect any problems. So do you think the CMax Energi will do better than the Prius in the snow due to the added weight of the battery and do you think the Blizzaks will out perform the Michelins. Now if we only had some snow in sight in CT I would pull the trigger and order the new wheels and tires for the CMax. I am inclined to go with the Blizzaks.

Now, I'm speaking without even having touched a Cmax yet, but my thoughts are that the battery is only going to make things worse unless you're driving up the hill backwards since it's more weight in the back, not up front on the drive wheels.  

That said, there's every chance it might do better in the snow simply from a better traction control setup and possibly more ground clearance(I don't know what either actually is).

As for winter tire differences, I'm not sure how much difference there is. I've been happy with whatever non-Blizzak version we got on our Sienna last year.  However, if you're on the edge of making it or not up your hill then it might make the difference.  Then again, it depends on the conditions.  I know at least at one time there were 2 different versions of the Blizzaks, one tailored more to deep snow and one more to ice.  

As far as I'm concerned, all else being equal I'd stick with the Blizzaks, but I'm not too worried about going with a different real snow tire.  And I imagine the Cmax will be a bit better in the snow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow, tires, snow tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·