Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

I broke my antenna off!

broken antenna

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yesod1

yesod1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C Max Energi SEL, 303A trim package

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

An hour ago, I was backing out of our garage, and I heard a terrible scraping sound.  Cursing loudly, I stopped and pulled forward.  I got out to investigate the situation, and there was the antenna whip sitting on the ground.  For some reason, the garage door had not opened all the way; I hadn't noticed and the garage door caught the top of the C Max.  In addition to the broken antenna, there were a few minor scrapes on the top of our gorgeous shiny Sterling Gray car, which we just bought 2 weeks ago!  So, before I tell my wife about this (she ain't gonna be happy!), I need some information.  

The black antenna box on the top of the car to which the whip was attached is unharmed and still tightly attached, but the whip snapped off at the bolt--there is no bolt to grab and unscrew.  Can I still replace the antenna whip myself?  Or is this a dealer-only repair?  If dealer, any idea of the cost?  I imagine I'll have to call a dealer to find that out; just wondered if anyone had any idea.  

That'll teach me to look before I drive!!!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

You may have to try a reversable tap screw remover. I replaced my antenna with a 3.5" stubby antenna, it works just as good and looks a lot better.

#3 OFFLINE   yesod1

yesod1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:34 PM

You may have to try a reversable tap screw remover. I replaced my antenna with a 3.5" stubby antenna, it works just as good and looks a lot better.

I have many gifts, but handiness is not one of them.  If I try a reversible tap screw remover, it's possible I will put a hole in the roof of the car. Any other ideas?

#4 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:09 AM

Can you post a picture of what is remaining in the roof mounted base where the stud broke off.  Other then drilling a small hole in the center of what is left and using an "easy-out" type tap, there may not be any other way to remove it.  Once you start taking off the roof base, you break the seals that prevent water from entering the vehicle.  You really want to avoid doing that if at all possible.

You may have enough of the stud sticking up to grab it with needle nose pliers.  The stud usually isn't too tight in the base.

You should be able to find the stud antenna replacement at many on line Ford parts departments, eBay, Amazon, etc.  I don't recall if the stud screws out of both the roof base and the antenna itself easily.  If so, you may be able to match just the stud at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

The first link shows some of the studs that you may be able to find.   You have to get yours out first though if you want to stay with the original roof mount.  Any repair shop should be able to get it out if you can't.

http://www.ebay.com/...4BV5k3R&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...dBWQ9mx&vxp=mtr

Edited by ls973800, 29 November 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 419 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

I replaced the stubby with a sharkfin antenna.  They are custome painted to match the NRG, and look fantastic.

#6 OFFLINE   yesod1

yesod1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

Here is a photo of the offending antenna base and the remaining part of the whip, which is recessed into the base.  I tried grabbing the metal part with a needle-nose plier, slipped, and added a tiny scratch to the mess; there is just nothing there to grab, at least not with the tools I have.  Also, the base is actually loose on one end, so I think the Shark Fin is the way to go once I get the piece of whip out; it'll secure the whole thing down.  But, I think this is beyond my ability to fix without damaging things further.  Unless anybody has any ideas, I am going to take it to my mechanic this week and throw myself on his mercy.  

Attached File  photo.jpg   19.77KB   1 downloads

#7 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:28 AM

A mechanic will be able to remove the stud. I installed a Shark Fin when a car-wash loosened the assembly. I was concerned about a leak. The Shark Fin worked well. You can do it yourself but take your time. I would absolutely do it again!

#8 OFFLINE   yesod1

yesod1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

A mechanic will be able to remove the stud. I installed a Shark Fin when a car-wash loosened the assembly. I was concerned about a leak. The Shark Fin worked well. You can do it yourself but take your time. I would absolutely do it again!

I just called my mechanic today and asked him if he can get the bolt out.  He said "sure, when do you want to bring it in?"  I have an appointment on Friday.  In the meantime, I will take it to a body shop to see how much it'll cost to handle those scrapes.  Then, there's the small gap in the garage door.  Sigh...well, it could've been worse.  It's only money, right???

#9 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

The body shop can probably get the antenna out too.  Are the scrapes too deep to rub out?  I recently got T-boned by a deer and all of the scuffs came out with rubbing compound.

#10 OFFLINE   yesod1

yesod1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

The body shop can probably get the antenna out too.  Are the scrapes too deep to rub out?  I recently got T-boned by a deer and all of the scuffs came out with rubbing compound.

I talked to a guy at the body shop today; he said he can get the antenna out too.  Nice to know I have options!  Re buffing the car, I'm not sure, I plan to give it a try.  

#11 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

Maybe you can get the original dealer you bought from to pay for it, since you wouldn't have this problem on this car if you had been able to keep the original car.

Kidding, of course. 

Give the rubbing compound a try. In a moment of brilliance and miscommunication, I backed into my husband's brand-spanking-new Spyder in the spring and bruised it up pretty bad (not to mention taking some paint off my bumper). Rubbing compound made it look good as new. :)  (Wish I could say the same for my bumper, but that paint is just plain gone.)

#12 OFFLINE   yesod1

yesod1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:50 PM

Maybe you can get the original dealer you bought from to pay for it, since you wouldn't have this problem on this car if you had been able to keep the original car.

Kidding, of course. 

Give the rubbing compound a try. In a moment of brilliance and miscommunication, I backed into my husband's brand-spanking-new Spyder in the spring and bruised it up pretty bad (not to mention taking some paint off my bumper). Rubbing compound made it look good as new. :)  (Wish I could say the same for my bumper, but that paint is just plain gone.)

hah!  what story this has been!

#13 OFFLINE   yesod1

yesod1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

Well, here is the update:  I took the car into my mechanic today.  He had the bolt out of the antenna base within 5 minutes!  And he didn't even charge me for his time--now, that's good will!  Oh, the magic of tools, and the ability to use them...I also ordered the Shark Fin antenna, it'll be here in a few days.  And I have an appointment on Monday with a car body guy.  He comes recommended as honest, so hopefully he will give me his honest opinion and tell me if he thinks I can buff the scratches out.  I'll still try, no matter what he says, but I am curious to hear his opinion.  

Then came the sticky part--time to confess to my wife!  I told her tonight; she was mad, alright--but not so much for the little accident (though she wasn't happy about that!), but more because I didn't tell her right away.  I had good intentions--I wanted to handle as much of the repair as I could before I told her.  I was going confess after the appointment with the body shop guy on Monday, but fate stepped in--she accidentally saw an email from the Shark Fin guy that I left up on the screen.  I'd emailed him with the story about the stuck bolt to see if the Shark Fin could still be installed, and he replied.  So, my wife saw it and asked me what it meant.  I came clean, she was mad for 15 minutes, and that's the end of it.  She's a very kind-hearted woman, thankfully for me.  

You can be sure I will make certain that the garage door is all the way up from now on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·