Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Charger Buying

charger buying assessories

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sabidob

Sabidob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

I want to buy an extra charger for my house. I have both 240V and 120V available.

Were is best place to buy?  Everywhere I've looked they go for between $399 to $500.

Anybody have recommendations?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi, Ford F-350 SD w/ 6.0 PSD

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

There are a couple threads on this topic in a different are of the forum:http://fordcmaxenerg...eries-charging/

I think if you buy from a reputable retailer, you should be good to go. I've seen Clipper Creek mentioned. The one available through Home Depot seems to have good reviews. Just read the user reviews before you purchase.

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,130 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:03 AM

This a FAQ (and an important one).  As pointed out, we have a separate sub-forum for batteries/charging.

My suggestions when shopping for a level II EVSE:

1) Amperage rate=16amp (max Energi can accept) or higher (higher is for future proofing next vehicle).  If installation costs are high/difficult, it's best to future proof the wiring and not call the electrician out again.

2) Cord length.  Some cheaper solutions use short cabling.  Next car might have plug port at opposite end of vehicle.  If need be, I can stretch my 25ft cord to a vehicle parked outside my garage.

3) Warranty period.  Some cheaper solutions have shorter warranties.  

• geekdaddy likes this

#4 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

4) Do some research as to whether your state subsidizes the cost/installation of a charger. Many states do.  The feds also used to subsidize but I'm not sure that program is still in place.

#5 OFFLINE   geekdaddy

geekdaddy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • My C-MAX:2015

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

Didn't realize the max charge rate for the energi is 16A.  I purchased one of these direct from China (if you email them, "Ms. Dream" is very helpful).  Was ~$375 shipped and I had it configured for a NEMA 14-50 plug and supports up to 32A charging.  I also have a Fiat 500e which can charge up to 32A so the higher charging rate will be immediately helpful to me.  Wiring my NEMA plug over the next week or so and will let you know how it works but anticipate it will work just fine.

http://www.e-zencar....oduct/evse-32a/

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,130 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

I purchased one of these direct from China (if you email them, "Ms. Dream" is very helpful).  

I could find an answer from the link but are their products certified for use in the USA?  If not, you could have issues with installation or insurance claims if it causes a fire.  According to the ClipperCreek FAQ page:  "In order for an inspector to sign off on permitted installation for an EVSE the National Electric Code requires that the EVSE be NRTL listed (in the US that is ETL or UL). "

#7 OFFLINE   JN-CMaxE

JN-CMaxE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

When I bought my 240v charger, I made sure it was UL listed. Most chargers are UL approved, but I did see a few that were not.

Between the federal and local credits, about 80% of the cost was covered.

#8 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationTN
  • Color:Tuxedo Black

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

This a FAQ (and an important one).  As pointed out, we have a separate sub-forum for batteries/charging.

My suggestions when shopping for a level II EVSE:

1) Amperage rate=16amp (max Energi can accept) or higher (higher is for future proofing next vehicle).  If installation costs are high/difficult, it's best to future proof the wiring and not call the electrician out again.

2) Cord length.  Some cheaper solutions use short cabling.  Next car might have plug port at opposite end of vehicle.  If need be, I can stretch my 25ft cord to a vehicle parked outside my garage.

3) Warranty period.  Some cheaper solutions have shorter warranties.  

Electrician?  What's that?  (I wire my own stuff, it's easier than plumbing, which I also do myself, but hate.)

But yes, I'd pull 6 gauge wire for an EVSE, that's enough to handle 60A, which should be sufficient for any future EVSE you might install.  If that seems like too much overkill for you, pull 8 gauge, but be aware that it's limited to 40A, and there are 48-50A EVSEs available, your next car might use all of that.

In most of the US, if you own the house, it's legal to do your own wiring.  Just do it right, don't cut corners, and check your local codes.

Take a look at the open source EVSEs.

And if any of that scares you, hire somebody.

#9 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Color:Magnetic
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

Well technically you can do 55A on 8 Gauge if it's 90 degrees rated but depending on your inspector they may not allow it.
I put a sub panel in my garage with 8 gauge and a 50A feed. They explained they typically want you to install the lowest rated breaker to the wire (40A) to leave room for expansion but most inspectors don't know the law allows any of the possibilities for install ( least my area and NEC)

#10 OFFLINE   geekdaddy

geekdaddy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • My C-MAX:2015

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:59 AM

I wired mine using 6ga romex and have a fairly short run from the panel to the NEMA plug.  Approximately 20 ft.  My zencar charger works great -- although the C-max limits the charging current far below it's 32A max capability the vehicle charges faster using it vs the std Ford class 1 charger.  However, I intend to use the Class I charger most of the time and charge overnight.  The slower charge rate and cooler night temps are better for the battery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charger, buying, assessories

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·