Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Drivers door mirror

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

Anyone know how to remove the inside trim on the driver's door so I can get to the mirror mounting hardware? 

A deer jumped at our car last night and t-boned my wife.  The mirror housing is cracked and the exterior mounting trim is pulled away from the door, but not enough for me to see inside.  I'm wanting to remove the inside trim so I can get an idea of the damage to the mounting and see if the door frame is ok, so I can decide if I want to turn this over to the insurance company.  The inside trim looks like it should just pull off, but I don't want to do any more damage.

Fortunately she was alert enough to pick up the lens and I have all the parts, but I will have to replace the housing.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

I just went through this (had no deer to blame--I did it myself backing up next to a pole), but wasn't smart enough to pick up the pieces, so well done to your wife. Pretty much everything is held on with plastic tabs and pops off, and most of the mirror assembly is available as separate parts. A few things of which you should be aware:

1) Even though the C-MAX mirror is not telescoping, the parts are labeled as if they were.

2) The full mirror assembly part # is 17682 (be sure you order the correct side), but the upper housing is not included with that; it is part # 17D742 (again, be sure you order the correct side), and it comes unpainted.

3) The C-MAX shares this part with some other Ford models, so you may see part numbers listed for other vehicles.

4) I found this discussion at the C-MAX Owners Club that may be of value in getting the mirror off.

{Jonathan}

• tr7driver likes this

#3 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

I just went through this (had no deer to blame--I did it myself backing up next to a pole), but wasn't smart enough to pick up the pieces, so well done to your wife. Pretty much everything is held on with plastic tabs and pops off, and most of the mirror assembly is available as separate parts. A few things of which you should be aware:

1) Even though the C-MAX mirror is not telescoping, the parts are labeled as if they were.

2) The full mirror assembly part # is 17682 (be sure you order the correct side), but the upper housing is not included with that; it is part # 17D742 (again, be sure you order the correct side), and it comes unpainted.

3) The C-MAX shares this part with some other Ford models, so you may see part numbers listed for other vehicles.

4) I found this discussion at the C-MAX Owners Club that may be of value in getting the mirror off.

{Jonathan}

Thank you Jonathan!  This is exactly what I need. 

I hope I can get away with only replacing the upper housing and the exterior Mirror Trim.  The trim is partially pulled away from the door, so I need to take apart to get a better view of of the damage. 

Where did you get your parts?  I'll probably start by calling a few recyclers to see if I can get used in the same color on a long shot.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

I ended up buying most from a Ford dealer I found through a Web search (can't recall which right now) rather than from my local dealer, purely on price. My car is new, and I wanted to make sure I got unmarred parts (I also only needed specific ones). The painting started out as a problem (as in, I did a really bad job on my own and had to get a second one), but when my car recently went in for body work after being rear-ended, I was able to get the shop to paint my replacement mirror cover as part of the deal. {Jonathan}

#5 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 547 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

No need to call around:

www.car-part.com

I used www.fordparts.com to get a good price for local pick-up from a Ford dealer when someone stole the signal lens off my wife's while in Las Vegas.

Best of luck.

#6 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

I ended up buying most from a Ford dealer I found through a Web search (can't recall which right now) rather than from my local dealer, purely on price. My car is new, and I wanted to make sure I got unmarred parts (I also only needed specific ones). The painting started out as a problem (as in, I did a really bad job on my own and had to get a second one), but when my car recently went in for body work after being rear-ended, I was able to get the shop to paint my replacement mirror cover as part of the deal. {Jonathan}

I pulled the interior trim to access the mirror mounting,  How did you get to the plug to disconnect the wiring.  I can follow the wire and feel the plug, it feels like it should pull toward the front of the car, but I can't get my hand in there and grip it.  Did you have to remove the card to get to it?  Any advice?

Edited by tr7driver, 01 December 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

I pulled the interior trim to access the mirror mounting,  How did you get to the plug to disconnect the wiring.  I can follow the wire and feel the plug, it feels like it should pull toward the front of the car, but I can't get my hand in there and grip it.  Did you have to remove the card to get to it?  Any advice?

Sadly, I can't help you on this one--my electric parts were all working, so I just had to replace the popped-off mirror and two back pieces. {Jonathan}

#8 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I managed to get a used mirror the same color.  I borrowed the little girl next door and she was able to reach in and unplug/plug it for me with her little hands. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·