Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing 1 Tire 10,000 Miles In--Must I Do 2?

tire replacement tires matching tires

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

My C-MAX was rear-ended on Friday (*snif*), and it's currently being fully repaired (yay, GEICO and the other driver's insurance taking responsibility for the entire repair!). While inspecting the damage, I noticed that the left rear tire (near the corner that had been hit by the other driver) was gouged, and it is now being replaced as part of the overall work. Question: I just passed 10,000 miles with my (original) tires, so do I need to buy a second tire (for which I would have to pay) to match the new one, or can I get by with one new one and one 10k tire? If I stick with the mismatch, what are the likely consequences? Thanks. {Jonathan}

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

If it was my car, I would buy another one to match. I would also keep that damaged tire as a backup

if it's nothing more than a cosmetic issue. Got a picture of it ?

Edited by drdiesel1, 04 November 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

If it was my car, I would buy another one to match. I would also keep that damaged tire as a backup

I don't have a picture but it was a gouge, not just cosmetic--I don't feel safe using it as a backup. I am hoping I convince my insurance company to convince the other driver's insurance company that the car started that trip with tires with matching mileage and should be returned to me in a similar fashion (albeit with new rather than 10k mile worn tires on two wheels). {Jonathan}

• Kermit likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 222 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

I don't have a picture but it was a gouge, not just cosmetic--I don't feel safe using it as a backup. I am hoping I convince my insurance company to convince the other driver's insurance company that the car started that trip with tires with matching mileage and should be returned to me in a similar fashion (albeit with new rather than 10k mile worn tires on two wheels). {Jonathan}

#5 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Good luck with that.  I don't know of any ins. company that would do that.  Got a picture of the damaged tire ?

Can you get one and post it ? If you can run thew tire and save the new one until you need two, I would try for that

because I doubt you'll get them to buy two.

#6 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:54 AM

I would buy 2 tires and replace them both, and save the good tire with 10K miles as a back up.   Don't drive on a tire with a gouge. get rid of it.  Pronto.

• Kermit and Jonathan Ezor like this

#7 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:03 AM

Replace the tires in pairs. It is safer. Having said that, I think with only 10K on the tires it might be OK to replace only one - but be sure and use an OEM tire that matches the one you have.

But me? I would replace two tires.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#8 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

When I was in a similar situation, the dealer went through his pile of used tires destined for the junk yard and pulled out a tire with similar tread wear and mounted it on the car. The cost was something like $30 for everything and I drove on it until it was time to replace all 4 tires.

So see if he has a used tire with similar tread life.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#9 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

I would have the insurance company pay for 2 if that is what Ford says to do they have an obligation to make you whole.  If you were hit on the side and the drivers seat had to be replaced but they did not have the color leather your car had  anymore you would want the 2 front seats to match wouldn't you?  If they can find a tire with 10K or so miles on it that would make you whole as that is what you had.  If you had an AWD car and Ford said that you had to replace 4 tires I would insist on 4 tires. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tire, replacement tires, matching tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·