Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to improve Winter MPG's

winter mpgs

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

No no you can't use 38.5 mpg that doesn't work, even someone like me can drive 500 miles to VA non stop and get 48mpg without fancy stuff.  You drive city roads all the time and keep the speeds down to get 900 miles per tank, that's not going to happen if you get on the highway and drive non-stop at 65mph.  Try it, I'm sure you have already, in that case you'll get something in the 600's range per tank. I average around 700 mi. on a tank on the HWY and a little better for the City.  My Fuelly for HWY is 79% and City is 21% so most of my driving is on the HWY.

38.5 is what Ford adjusted the MPG rating as people floor the car and drive terrible in relation to hypermilling and then they complain they are not getting the ratings.  Anyone who tries just a little bit to drive better will be well into the 40's mpg.

Your loss is $10459 - ($3582 x $2.52) = $1432 for using Premium fuel per year or about $7281 in 5 years 1 month's time. This is way wrong, somebody got confused, the right answer is $1034 Total or $200 per year. :smile2: 

You get bonus MPG numbers for bragging rights by paying this premium, you NEVER make out driving Premium vs regular in savings. When I first started out in 2012 with gas at $4 per gal and lower MPG's there wasn't much a difference in cost between using Reg and Prem with the improvement in MPG's, but now with cost of gas at $2.40/ gal and getting much better MPG's it isn't cost effective now.  I'll say It again "This isn't about Cost for Me", it's about getting the best possible MPG's and what's wrong with Bragging Rights?  Don't you have the best distance of 37mi. for a HVB charge? Good Job! :smile2: 

-=>Raja.

Here is a Link to My Fuelly Dash:  http://www.fuelly.co...ptjones/163299  and here is a Link to Fuelly 2013 CMAX Hybrid SEL average MPG  of 38.5 :http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/2013?engineconfig_id=341&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=1203

Raja you need to check your Math. :headscratch:

$10,459 is the Total Cost of running Premium since New.  I gain 2 mpg over Regular with Premium.  So 173000mi./ 46.3mpg.for Regular=3736.5 gallons.  3736.5gal -3582gal= 154.5gal more Regular gas than Premium. So the cost difference would be $10459 for Premium - $9416 for Regular is $1034 total or $200 per year. :smile2: For me it's Fun/Hobby so a few dollars extra is no big deal and I like the extra range too. :smile2:

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

post-143-0-33552800-1511810987_thumb.jpg   I filled up a week ago  with temps 35-70*F I'm getting 56mpg with 65% HWY using all my MOD's of Post#1. I should be able to go another 130 miles. smile.png

Paul

#63 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

With Winter here now, temps in the mid 30's it is time to cover all the grills to conserve as much heat as possible.  BRRR sad.png  Yesterday I got 63mpg going to work with 46*F and some HVB charge and today only got 40.7mpg with 34*F, sleet, rain and no HVB. sad.png

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 29 December 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

Yesterday We made our normal trip up to North Atlanta(49mi.) to see our new grandson and see the New Star Wars movie.  :smile2:  I started out and ended up with 53.9 mpg, outside temps 45*F going Up and 35*F going home with 40 mi. FWY and 9 miles, 45 mph City. I did have 5 miles of stop and go HWY construction going( extra 30 min.) up and nothing going home. Better than I would expect given the temps.   :smile2: You Tube videos up to 4,550 now, Hoping these are helping new members to improve their MPG's this winter.  :smile2:

#65 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

I'm surprised how good my gas mileage has been with temps in the 30's and 40's and about 60% hwy. With 540 mi. on tank and 55.6 mpg Smart Gauge average, I should have another 700+ mi. tank and 54 actual/fuelly mpg.  smile.png Bottom line is these Mods really work and pretty much anyone can do them. smile.png

Paul 

#66 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

This morning at 9AM temps were only 22*F Brrr.  :(  And got 48mpg going 7 mi. to work.  Started with 44% SOC, 85*F WT, garage was 49*F and ended up with 40% SOC.

Paul

#67 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

With temps 28*F - 45*F I drove up to Aberdeen, MD then to Bangor, PA and back averaged fuelly 48 mpg for the trip in two days. :smile2:

Paul

• spirilis likes this

#68 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Gonna do a MD-to-Orlando trip late next month in the Energi, scoped out possible charging stations along the way, very curious to see what my fuel economy ends up being... I intend to go way earlier than I need so I have a few 1-2hr rest stops to charge (and a 5-hr nap session which I'm still figuring out)
  • ptjones likes this

#69 OFFLINE   mgerencser

mgerencser

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationUtah
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

I so appreciate everyone's comments and experience and math. I will definitely be looking into grill covers. I have a question about preheating the car on the plug. (I haven't yet had the eletrical work done at home to be able to plug in overnight, but I will soon.) Can't I just set the car to turn on and heat up in order to achieve defrosting before I go anywhere, and then turn off the defroster before I take off? I don't have a garage, and I was hoping that this tactic would work as a way to warm up and idle without the ICE. We have terrible air in the winter, and so aside from my not wanting to idle an ICE nor spend EV-now energy on preheating, it's illegal to idle an ICE anyway. It seems like preheating from the home plug would make it possible to get into a warmish car and drive away with heated seats, clear windows, a full charge, and maybe sometimes a very light foot heater going on particularly chilly mornings. Is this wild dreaming or reasonable planning? I live in Northern Utah. Warm this winter, but still below freezing first thing in the morning.

#70 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:44 AM

Unfortunately you don't have as much control as you're looking for.
If you don't want to start the ice then you're limited to using go times.
Go times are only going to run the cabin heater and will try to reach a set point of 65,72 or 85f if I remember correctly.
They won't run the seat heaters or defrosters. It will definitely help the situation but if it's like single digits or below it's probably not going to ever get up to 65f in there.

A remote start has a lot more options for automatically using the defrosters, etc but that has to be done manually and will fire up the ice and/or use up ev range at those temps.

I've seen mention in the manual if the heated seats turning on for remote start but I'm not sure I've ever noticed them actually warm in my 2013 until the usual minute or two of actually starting the car.
  • ptjones and mgerencser like this

#71 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

If you are going to use ICE then oil pan heater makes sense and you could use 120v electric heater in the car if you are careful. Just plugin an extension cord in the morning to get things going. Low Tech :smile2:

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winter, mpgs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·