Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to improve Winter MPG's

winter mpgs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

From the testing I've done the shutters aren't very effective on improving aerodynamics or conserving heat.  From the testing I did in the past Grill Covers improve aerodynamics by 2 mpg at FWY speeds and 2 mpg by allowing ICE  to get up to operating temp and doing it quicker.  You would have to block shutters open to see how much of a drop in mpg's you would get which would be a combination of aero and heat lost. :smile2: 

Paul 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

Good advice!

The only trouble with use a heater is that you're robbing Peter to pay Paul, in other words maybe you get an extra 2mpg but you're paying electric to heat the car so one way or another you're paying extra for the savings.

-=>Raja.

not exactly

The amount of energy that is wasted in extra gasoline burned  during the warm-up cycle is a whole lot greater than the amount of energy needed to heat up the engine.  The waste is due to the fact that when the engine is cold (and in this context even 80 or 90 degrees is "cold") gasoline condenses out on the cylinder walls.  To make up for this, the car's system makes the mixture excessively rich.  The unburned gasoline is flushed out through the exhaust valves on the exhaust cycles.  In olden days you could smell it in the exhaust.  Nowadays it gets burned in the catalytic converters.

So, a block heater is a pretty efficient way to reduce the cold start gasoline wastage.

A whole lot better way is to get a PHEV and avoid most of the cold starts altogether!

Although I'm a strong believer in block heater benefits, with the Energi, I don't see the need.

Edited by Smiling Jack, 29 October 2015 - 09:37 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:23 AM

It would make sense for trips more then 20mi. or where you were going to work but didn't have a charging station so you would Hybrid to work and EV home. :smile2:

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

It would make sense for trips more then 20mi. or where you were going to work but didn't have a charging station so you would Hybrid to work and EV home. :smile2:

Paul

Absolutely !

If I were in that situation, I would install block heater in a heartbeat - and use it all year round, even here in subtropical Houston.

• ptjones likes this

#25 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

I thought would remind members what can be done to minimize the loss of MPG's during the up coming cold weather months that some are already experiencing.sad.png  You can go to Post #1 to for all the info.smile.png

Paul

• chryssa likes this

#26 OFFLINE   SELT

SELT

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationMontreal
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Energy Titanium

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Paul for the great advice on the 1st Post! Don't know how I missed this topic, wouldn't have started a similar one in the 2017 section LoL...

Will definitely look into covering them grills. Could you clarify when would you block the lower grills, or keep up them blocked all year round like the upper? Thanks again for the info 👍

#27 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Paul for the great advice on the 1st Post! Don't know how I missed this topic, wouldn't have started a similar one in the 2017 section LoL...

Will definitely look into covering them grills. Could you clarify when would you block the lower grills, or keep up them blocked all year round like the upper? Thanks again for the info

I think you could cover both grills all year around, I would want to have OBDII Gauge like ScanGaugeII to monitor WT,TFT, SOC and HVB temps to be safe. :smile2:  If you are going to use A/C and not the ICE you might remove lower cover to get better air flow for the A/C system. :smile2:

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winter, mpgs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·