Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tailgate Foot Sensor Just Stopped Working

tailgate foot sensor malfunction

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:23 AM

Works for me all the time, key in pocket just put your foot down under and past the bumper so to speak and back out.  Maybe your battery for the remote is low, could be a reason its not working reliably for you.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:33 AM

This is another function that I find is less reliable if I am carrying my cell phone in close proximity to my key. 

Not sure if it was mentioned on page 1, but just to reinforce proper technique, the kick motion is supposed to go straight under the bumper from the rear and straight back out to the rear, not a sweeping motion.  Some people have reported that the kick is more reliable if you spray water up under there when washing the car to clear any accumulated road debris from the area.

#23 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:40 AM

Some people have reported that the kick is more reliable if you spray water up under there when washing the car to clear any accumulated road debris from the area.

Yes that helps, once in a while when washing the car spray the inside of the bottom of the bumper to remove all dirt.  I had an issue with the tailgate a while back and I did that and it started working again, sorry almost forgot about that, its been so perfect otherwise for me - sometimes too perfect I was running an extension cord to the car to charge it at a hotel last week and it popped open the gate when the wire went under the back of the car and moved around.

-=>Raja.

#24 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

I've had the car for three months now--sensor replaced twice. It has only worked twice for me in that time. Going back to the dealer again. I think it's a gimick.

Toolman, maybe it's your key. I'd be tempted to replace the battery in the key in this situation.

#25 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:45 AM

I am completely jealous.  I've had my Energi since May and I've gotten the kick sensor to work maybe five times.  I'm guessing it ignores me 90% of the time.  If I can get it to open, it will always detect a second "kick" to make it close.  That's the closest it comes to being reliable.

By the way, I did install a hitch a couple of months ago.  But it seems no more or less reliable than it was before I put it on.

When my Ford salesman got it to work (after 5-6 tries), he said to do the kick slightly to the left of center.  He also did the kick slightly below and under the bumper.  And he held the key high in one of his hands.  It looked a bit like a karate maneuver.  I've tried that many times, and several variations.  I stopped after a while because I was afraid someone would post a video.

The car has trained me to dig out the key and press the button twice.  If there really is a sure-fire process, someone please post a link!

I have never had any problems with the rear hatch opening by doing a "kick" action under the bumper.  Very, very seldom I may have to do a second kick to get the hatch to open.  I kick under the center area using a motion as if I were kicking a football off a tee.  The front of my foot comes up about 12 inches, and the heel about 9 or 10 inches as my foot makes the swing kick motion and moves in an arch off the ground.

No need to take your key out and push the release button twice.  If for some reason I don't use the foot motion to open the hatch, I just press on the release button under the rear handle and the hatch will open.  If the car is locked I do have to have the key on my person when I press the unlatch button. Otherwise I can open the hatch anytime when it is unlocked without having the key on my person by pressing the hatch release.

Just for comparison, I have a 2015 model with 303A option group and keyless entry/start/liftgate as part of that group.  Also included in that group is parking technology package and active park assist. 

#26 OFFLINE   agincourt

agincourt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationComox
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Energi 2015

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Strange behaviour.  I walked around the back of the car and the lift gate opened all by itself.  Key in pocket.  Any clues?  A bit dangerous .

#27 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Reading through this, I'm glad my poor little 300A doesn't have that gadget!

#28 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Never had an issue with my foot activated lift-gates on my C-Max or Escape.  I believe errors/problems are not widespread.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#29 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 222 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

For my part, I haven't had any recurrence since the problem fixed itself. {Jonathan}

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tailgate foot sensor, malfunction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·