Jump to content

Custom Search




Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum


Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.


Photo
- - - - -

Any experience with Continental PureContact or TrueContact tires?

tires

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SFCohen

SFCohen

    New Member

  • C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

When people ask how I like the CMax Energi, I tell them I absolutely love it about 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent is the way it handles in wet weather. Fortunately I haven't had to drive this car in snow (yet), because I have zero confidence that I could control the vehicle.

 

Although I have a little over 12,000 miles on the Energi, I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the tires now. Specifically, is there anything out there that will provide better traction without totally sacrificing mileage? Most of the driving I do is within the 20-or-so-mile all electric range, but we do sometimes take longer drives.

 

I've done a little research and am very impressed with the Continental PureContact and TrueContact tires. Looked at owner reviews of both on TireRack.com, focusing on those from folks with Prius or Camry hybrids (I didn't see any from CMax owners). The reviews are mostly positive, but with occasional outliers, such as:

  • Some people say their mileage has improved, some say it's dropped significantly (10 percent or more), some say it dropped for the first 1,000 miles while the tires were breaking in, and then returned to normal. YMMV?
     
  • One person commented that the PureContact is not a low rolling resistance tire, but other people seem to think it is. How does one tell and is there an actual definition or specification of low rolling resistance?

Has anyone out there used either of these tires on your CMax? Are they as good as they sound?

[=sfc=]









Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

    New Member

  • C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

I found the tires to be very good in the snow and rain, I have the Michelin X green tires.  Last winter we booked a quick getaway to Taos from Denver and hit a snowstorm on the way back.  I drove 2 lane steep road thru the National Forest and had no issues other than the traction control coming on all the time.  Going thru a small town mainstreet where the road was just white i could not tell how deep it was at first but looking back it was over 6" on fresh snow on the ground.  The highway i25 was pretty slick and usually had about 3-4" of slush snow on it.  We saw quite a few cars accidents and cars that had spun off the road.

 

My only issue was that with the deicer (MagChloride) which is sticky the snow would pack up in the wheel wells to the point where the car had no suspension so we pulled off and I dug out the snow from the wheel wells.  One place we stopped was a business parking lot that was empty of cars and had about 7" of fresh snow I drove around in the lot until I got the car facing downhill just in case it would be an issue getting going and cleaned out the snow.  It went thru the snow with no issues at all.

 

All my other cars dating back a long time have been either a 4x4 or AWD and the CMAX really does as well as any of them ( given the ground clearance) .  I went thru so much ice and snow I broke the louvers on the bottom grill so they no longer shut but for +$700.00 they can stay open.  I think the battery in the rear helps a lot with braking and the traction control works really well. 

 

I think these would work well if you want to get different tires but you might also want to get a set of dedicated snows

 

co_purec_ep_pdpcrop.jpg











Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·