Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Temperature

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:59 AM

Using the ScanGuageII, I've been tracking the transmission fluid temperature. Ambient temps have been in the 80s mostly.

In low speed EV commuting, it tops out around 110F. On the highway, it reaches 165F or so.

Does anyone know if this is because the ICE is running, or is it just due to the higher sustained speeds?

I always had a pretty good handle on the inner workings of the Prius transmission, but don't know so much about the Ford.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSE
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:FFH

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

I would think it's mainly due to heat transfer from the ICE.  The ICE is probably 210 degrees and their is a lot of surface area were the transmission mounts to the ICE for heat to transfer.

In addition, even though the ICE is running, the motor/generator is also working to keep the right ratio between the ICE and the wheel speeds.

The two motor/generators are the biggest source of heat INSIDE the transmission.

#3 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

I would think it's mainly due to heat transfer from the ICE. The ICE is probably 210 degrees and their is a lot of surface area were the transmission mounts to the ICE for heat to transfer.

In addition, even though the ICE is running, the motor/generator is also working to keep the right ratio between the ICE and the wheel speeds.

The two motor/generators are the biggest source of heat INSIDE the transmission.

Ah thanks, Automate. Yes that makes sense about the motor/generator pairs. And the heat transfer from the ICE.

Rick

Edited by P=E/t, 05 September 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:41 AM

Using the ScanGuageII, I've been tracking the transmission fluid temperature. Ambient temps have been in the 80s mostly.

In low speed EV commuting, it tops out around 110F. On the highway, it reaches 165F or so.

Does anyone know if this is because the ICE is running, or is it just due to the higher sustained speeds?

I always had a pretty good handle on the inner workings of the Prius transmission, but don't know so much about the Ford.

I monitor WT, IT, TFT and SOC on my ScanGaugeII.  WT gets higher on FWY than around town. :smile2:

Paul

#5 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

I monitor WT, IT, TFT and SOC on my ScanGaugeII.  WT gets higher on FWY than around town. :smile2:

Paul

Paul, there is no water temperature sensor. They compute it based on the cylinder head temperature. I used to monitor it as well, but you should be aware that it isn't actually measuring the H2O temp.

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

Paul, there is no water temperature sensor. They compute it based on the cylinder head temperature. I used to monitor it as well, but you should be aware that it isn't actually measuring the H2O temp.

The ScanGaugeII reports WT instead of Cylinder head Temp. This temp would be the hottest the coolant would get, aluminum is a good conductor of heat. This temp goes up a couple degrees F when ICE stops running do to the lack of circulation of coolant. In about 20 sec. the temp goes down until ICE runs for about 30 sec. and starts climbing again. :smile2: 

Paul 

• stevedebi likes this

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

Here is a funny thing, the last 3 days was a September Sizzler heat wave in Boston, 3 days in a row with over 90 degrees, the day before yesterday at 96F I noticed that my engine temp was "up" on my Maxie even though I haven't started it -- the temp showed about 1/3 of the way to the lowest line in the My View screen.  

-=>Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

The ScanGaugeII reports WT instead of Cylinder head Temp. This temp would be the hottest the coolant would get, aluminum is a good conductor of heat. This temp goes up a couple degrees F when ICE stops running do to the lack of circulation of coolant. In about 20 sec. the temp goes down until ICE runs for about 30 sec. and starts climbing again. :smile2:

Paul 

Just a FYI, you can monitor CWT, which is the cylinder temperature. I had that set up on my SGII for my FEH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·