Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Weird Air conditioning happenings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeanLucBlue

JeanLucBlue

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX ENERGI

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

All,

I was driving on the freeway the other day and the outside temperature was between 85-90 degrees. I was driving happily along nice and cool when I thought the cabin was getting kinda of hot. I looked around a found out that the fan was working at high speed, you could hear it in the dash, with just a little cool air blowing out the vents. Everything looked fine on the dash.

I started to change temp and such but nothing happen. So, I decided to change out of re-circulating air to outside vent air and within 2 seconds, the air conditioner was back to working normal with lots of air blowing out and cold (even seemed colder too).  I waited a few more minutes and decided to go back to re-circulating air and it worked fine for about 5 minutes then the problem happened all over again. Redid the re-circ air to outside air and back and it was fine. It was like the 'flap' to the fan and re-circ air got stuck? 

It did not do it again the rest of the trip. Has anyone had this happen before? A friend of mine said he was travelling up the 15 fwy here towards Clairmont, CA and the temp was 100 degrees and he said he experienced the same thing only he did not do what I did. He suffered until he could turn off the car. He drives a Hybrid only model.

I never had this happen before and so I am not going to take it into the shop for this one instance. Unless I hear something different from you guys. Is there something in software or that says the cars running to hot for air conditioning and so shuts it down or?

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,467 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302a with Moonroof

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

Sounds like the AC coils froze and the air flow was cut down due to blockage.  Outside air is hotter coming in over the coils and probably thawed it out.  Next time if this happens try turning off recirculate and leaving it off letting the car take from the hotter air outside.  Its more work for the AC, but then again a frozen AC is no AC so might be the work around.  

You can also try turning the temp up higher so the compressor doesn't work so hard and freeze up the evaporator.  But be careful not to turn it up too much and cause electric heat to kick in and warm things back up.  You'll see a jump in the climate meter if this happens.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,467 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm coming soon to San Diego, will be there in September and I plan to attend the EV car week event in San Diego on the 19th I believe.  Maybe you or other Cmax drivers from the area here can stop in to meet and greet!

-=>Raja.

#4 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 288 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:09 AM

Raja, will you be driving there?

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,467 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:00 AM

Oh no too far Kermit, I'm flying out.  Where are you located?

I am driving out to New Brunswick, Canada later this week though!  I was making my plans last night where to get gas and where to stop and charge up on the way -- looks like Bangor, ME is a good spot for that with gas at $2.23 a gallon  :smile2:

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Color:Magnetic
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

All,

I was driving on the freeway the other day and the outside temperature was between 85-90 degrees. I was driving happily along nice and cool when I thought the cabin was getting kinda of hot. I looked around a found out that the fan was working at high speed, you could hear it in the dash, with just a little cool air blowing out the vents. Everything looked fine on the dash.

I started to change temp and such but nothing happen. So, I decided to change out of re-circulating air to outside vent air and within 2 seconds, the air conditioner was back to working normal with lots of air blowing out and cold (even seemed colder too).  I waited a few more minutes and decided to go back to re-circulating air and it worked fine for about 5 minutes then the problem happened all over again. Redid the re-circ air to outside air and back and it was fine. It was like the 'flap' to the fan and re-circ air got stuck? 

It did not do it again the rest of the trip. Has anyone had this happen before? A friend of mine said he was travelling up the 15 fwy here towards Clairmont, CA and the temp was 100 degrees and he said he experienced the same thing only he did not do what I did. He suffered until he could turn off the car. He drives a Hybrid only model.

I never had this happen before and so I am not going to take it into the shop for this one instance. Unless I hear something different from you guys. Is there something in software or that says the cars running to hot for air conditioning and so shuts it down or?

Thanks!

I had this happen on a recent desert trip. You just need to turn off the compressor and let it unfreeze. I have seen a TSB on this issue, but I don't know if it applies (a problem with the sensor that keeps the compressor from freezing).

#7 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:43 AM

A few more thoughts that might help:

Icing up can also be caused by insufficient air flow; so,

1.  Check your (cabin) air filter and replace if clogged or even dirty.

2.  Make sure that all of the discharge vents in the cabin are fully open - and discharging plenty of air.

2. As an ongiing measure, generally never set the blower (fan) speed to lower than automatic in very  humid conditions, and if you still get icing then make it a habit to set the blower (fan) speed to a higher setting, and if that makes the cabin too cold for comfort then set a slightly higher temperature.

#8 OFFLINE   JeanLucBlue

JeanLucBlue

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX ENERGI

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

Thank you everyone!!!!

#9 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

...I never had this happen before and so I am not going to take it into the shop for this one instance. Unless I hear something different from you guys. Is there something in software or that says the cars running to hot for air conditioning and so shuts it down or?

Thanks!

If you do decide to head to your dealer, please let me know. I'll be happy to check out some options.

Meagan

#10 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 367 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

I have had  mine do that it seems the doors ( for defrost, vent, floor) close for some reason I can usually get it to fx itself by shutting off the engine and turning it back on .

#11 OFFLINE   balahmay

balahmay

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationBlack River Falls, WI
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Just had this happen while on a trip. 85 degrees and humid. Air flow went down to almost nothing so turned it off. Stopped for a pit stop. Turned car off. 10 minutes later took off and it works perfectly. ???

#12 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

Just had this happen while on a trip. 85 degrees and humid. Air flow went down to almost nothing so turned it off. Stopped for a pit stop. Turned car off. 10 minutes later took off and it works perfectly. ???

That definitely sound like frozen coils. I have that problem with the AC in the upstairs of my house. Only have central in the upstairs, and if you take a hot shower and leave the door to the bathroom open, the coils will ice up. Have to turn off the ac for a few hours and let the ice melt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·