Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Engine grunt/groan at certain speed: trans trouble?

transmission engine

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coloplugin

coloplugin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLouisville, CO
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Tonight I was cruising on a quiet, flat 45-mph road with the ICE.  I noticed that shortly after I began gently accelerating, the engine would suddenly get much louder, as if it's emitting a grunt or groan, but just for a second or two. I think this has been happening for a long while (maybe even not long after I got the car), but I really noticed it tonight. If I continue to accelerate, or stop accelerating, or whatever, the noise goes away, but it seems to happen only at a certain point early in the acceleration cycle.

Does this sound like normal ICE/eCVT behavior, or should I take it in to get checked? Has anyone else experienced this?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

A/C on ? Defroster on ? 

#3 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

Oh boy, you're either have a major mechanical problem, or you're imagining things.

Edited by timwil56, 22 August 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   edweird

edweird

• 182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDaytona Beach, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

Constipation?  :giggle:

Seriously, I have observed much less changing of engine sounds in this vehicle than in others, due to the fact that the eCVT allows the engine to run at the RPM that the computer decides is sufficient and most economical to meet the current demands for movement and charging.

You might be hearing a delay related to the active noise cancellation these cars employ.  The engine changes pitch or cuts on, and the ANC takes a second or two to sample and then generate a cancelling waveform via the car's stereo speakers.  Your brain tells you the noise stopped when the reality is that the noise was only cancelled.

#5 OFFLINE   coloplugin

coloplugin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLouisville, CO
  • My C-MAX:2013

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

I tried to replicate this last night on the same stretch of road.  No success.  But it's happened a number of times before.  I'd just finished a long ICE drive last night, whereas the ICE had just kicked on the night before. A/C doesn't seem to be a factor as best I can tell.

This sound is more than subtle; you can feel as well as hear it, so it doesn't seem like it's ANC-related. I'll pay close attention to the circumstances next time this happens and report back. Overall, my experience is similar to edweird's in that the engine seems really nice and quiet, especially with the ANC at work.

#6 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

The eCVT will cause ICE  RPM changes based on demand. I'll bet it's related.

• ptjones likes this

#7 OFFLINE   acck

acck

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNYC
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

I started noticing this yesterday when I ran out of my electric range and almost used up all of my hybrid range so the ICE would power CVT almost without any assist.

I had my radio turned off too and it sounded very loud as if something's wrong with the CVT. The sound reduced as I gained speed, seems like it does not like it from 0-30mph, once you get above 30mph it sounded normal again. I think I will have to "floor" it the next time I am out of both electric & hybrid range to get to above 30mph quickly.

Today though, using electric, everything was back to eerie quiet so it's something I just have to get used to since this only happens rarely for me.

#8 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

Today though, using electric, everything was back to eerie quiet so it's something I just have to get used to since this only happens rarely for me.

Everyone keeps saying theirs is very quiet.  Mine makes a really obnoxious whine when accelerating or braking from about 0 to 15  mph.  I took it to the dealer and he gave me the line "They all do that".  It always had a slight whine but it seems to be getting louder as the car ages.

I've read about the transmission inspection recall, mine's a 2014 built within the affected time period,  and like you I'm wondering if its a sign I'm going to have problems in the future or if it's really true that "They all do that".

#9 OFFLINE   acck

acck

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

Mine's a 2014 too, where can I get more info about the transmission inspection recall?

Is it making the obnoxious whine will under full electric power? There's a very slight whine for mine, but it sounds pleasing and certainly not obnoxious, more of like the electric golf carts variety.

I would bring it to a different Ford dealer and get a 2nd opinion. Should get it checked out while still under warranty.

#10 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

http://fordcmaxhybri...ion-and-repair/

This is all I've seen

Mine whines whenever braking or accelerating from around 0 to 15 mph. Is loudest at around 5mph. So when going down a residential street with stop signs every block, all you hear is the whine as you repeatedly speed up and slow down.  Its also beginning to make a whine or drone when held steady at 30mph.  Its always had a whine, but it's been slowly getting much louder

Edited by dicko, 02 December 2015 - 11:06 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

It's an eCVT ='s An Electronic Constant Variable Transmission.  It will vary ICE RPM's based on

load, speed and mode. It will also vary RPM based on HVB charge state, outside air temperature, engine

coolant temperature, HVAC settings, road grade, tire pressure, vehicle load,  driver inputs from TPS, MAP,

MAF and coolant fan requirements.  Everything will cause the CVT to vary ICE RPM's.

That's why it's called a CVT :victory:

Edited by drdiesel1, 02 December 2015 - 06:10 PM.

• edweird likes this

#12 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

It's an eCVT ='s An Electronic Constant Velocity Transmission.  It will vary ICE RPM's based on

load, speed and mode. It will also vary RPM based on HVB charge state, outside air temperature, engine

coolant temperature, HVAC settings, road grade, tire pressure, vehicle load,  driver inputs from TPS, MAP,

MAF and coolant fan requirements.  Everything will cause the CVT to vary ICE RPM's.

Never heard that. I believe it is a Continuously Variable Transmission. The E indicates the electric portion.

#13 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

It's an eCVT ='s An Electronic Constant Velocity Transmission.  It will vary ICE RPM's based on

I always understood CVT to stand for "continuously variable transmission,"  meaning that the gear ratio varied continuously.

In our case, I presumed that the prefixed "e" was an indication that the variable ratio is being achieved thorough function of the electric motor generators.

#14 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

I always understood CVT to stand for "continuously variable transmission,"  meaning that the gear ratio varied continuously.

In our case, I presumed that the prefixed "e" was an indication that the variable ratio is being achieved thorough function of the electric motor generators.

Jack,

I always thought it was for the electric drive capability, meaning that it can achieve some or all of it's propulsion via battery power.

The variable ratio is controlled on Nissan CVT by means of electric, I'm sure.

#15 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:07 PM

Type O.  You guys know what I'm talking about.

#16 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

I started noticing this yesterday when I ran out of my electric range and almost used up all of my hybrid range so the ICE would power CVT almost without any assist.

I had my radio turned off too and it sounded very loud as if something's wrong with the CVT.....

I think your description of the circumstances explains a large part of your experience. If the Hybrid battery is mostly depleted, than the engine is not just running to propel the car, it is running to re-charge the "hybrid" battery back to mostly charged. In these situations, the engine sound does not reflect the relatively light load of propelling the car, since the engine is aggressively charging the battery at the same time.  I think the car limits how aggressively it charges the battery when you are stopped to limit noise and vibration when there is no background noise to mask it.  Once you start accelerating, the car rapidly ramps up the charging, creating the impression that the engine is working very hard to accelerate the vehicle.

I drive my car so much in EV, that when I do drive in hybrid and the battery gets depleted, the sound makes me worry that something is wrong with the car, until I think about it a bit more :-)

#17 OFFLINE   acck

acck

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

I think your description of the circumstances explains a large part of your experience. If the Hybrid battery is mostly depleted, than the engine is not just running to propel the car, it is running to re-charge the "hybrid" battery back to mostly charged. In these situations, the engine sound does not reflect the relatively light load of propelling the car, since the engine is aggressively charging the battery at the same time.  I think the car limits how aggressively it charges the battery when you are stopped to limit noise and vibration when there is no background noise to mask it.  Once you start accelerating, the car rapidly ramps up the charging, creating the impression that the engine is working very hard to accelerate the vehicle.

I drive my car so much in EV, that when I do drive in hybrid and the battery gets depleted, the sound makes me worry that something is wrong with the car, until I think about it a bit more :-)

Yes, it sounds abnormal enough to warrant a question to other owners to see if that is what they experience as well or if it's something specifically wrong with my car.

#18 OFFLINE   Jenie Benson

Jenie Benson

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

If you haven't gotten an answer of solution on this problem, you're gonna want to check out this thread on the regular cmax hybrid forum. what you have going on sounds like the issue I have had with my 2013 Energi since about 700 miles. Another owner posted an MP3 of the noise both he and I have so you can see if it's similar to yours.  I've filed for buy back on mine. Dealership and Ford Hotline have no idea what's wrong with it or how to fix it in 2 years of trying.

http://fordcmaxhybri...-speeds-ice-on/

#19 OFFLINE   chrisj428

chrisj428

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationRound Lake, IL
  • My C-MAX:2015

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

To the OP: FWIW, I've heard the same thing and know exactly what you're talking about.

I've always chalked it up to the ANC just being out of sync for a second. And, depending on how far it's out of sync, the wave forms will combine to amplify the sound instead of canceling it out, making it sound louder than it actually is.

I have over 45k on my '15 and haven't had any issues related to the noise, so I'll just keep on truckin'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·