Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Thought it would never happen to me, at least I was partly prepared

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

A tip that it was his fault that he drew attention to himself. There is no reading into it. That is what you said. I guess you're full of your own ignorance you cannot help but project in onto others.

OMG!!!! Go find something else to do and quite being an idiot. I wasn't even talking to you, so get lost.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 282 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:58 AM

Neat link.

I'm not sure if this applies, but I've been following a company called Volta Charging which is using an ad based model to compensate for the cost of installing and operating L2 charging stations at public locations.

http://voltacharging.com/

So far they only operate in So. California, Arizona and Hawaii, but seem to be expanding.

The model is simple. Advertisers pay to sponsor charging stations in public locations, typically high traffic areas like shopping centers, and the EV driver just drives up and plugs in and that is that. I think it is a great idea. Is it sustainable, well I don't have a clue. However, marketing dollars are much less concentrated in broadcast media these days, mostly because broadcast media doesn't have the market penetration it once had, so companies are looking for other avenues to try to promote themselves. Sponsoring charging stations is one way of reaching out to a broader base of potential customers and can give companies "green" credibility through offering free vehicle charging.

If you have a cost sensitive retail location, hotel or multi-use facility, (and who isn't cost sensitive) this is a good way to go with no out-of-pocket expense or administration for the hosting location. If Volta was operating in my locality, I'd be working with my company to install a couple of their stations on our property.

Great to know about Voltacharging, thanks for posting. Their model is a fine example of Permission Marketing. In fact, they're an example of the principles outlined in Seth Godin's book Tribes. It's from a few years back, and still totally relevant. I actually went to the book launch. This whole EV movement is a "tribe" in action-- a group of people with common goals & interests & a leader or leaders who connect & inspire.

I think what's needed is for the auto manufacturers and EV charging network companies to get some leaders out there, spreading the ideas of this great technology. Imagine if we had a Steve Jobs or Sir Richard Branson type stirring up interest, through the marketplace itself. I guess Elon Musk counts, but his influence is limited to his brand in many ways.
  • jeromep likes this

#23 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Great to know about Voltacharging, thanks for posting. Their model is a fine example of Permission Marketing. In fact, they're an example of the principles outlined in Seth Godin's book Tribes. It's from a few years back, and still totally relevant. I actually went to the book launch. This whole EV movement is a "tribe" in action-- a group of people with common goals & interests & a leader or leaders who connect & inspire.

I think what's needed is for the auto manufacturers and EV charging network companies to get some leaders out there, spreading the ideas of this great technology. Imagine if we had a Steve Jobs or Sir Richard Branson type stirring up interest, through the marketplace itself. I guess Elon Musk counts, but his influence is limited to his brand in many ways.

So many books, so little time.  I've heard of "Tribes", but haven't had a chance to read it.

I had to share about Volta because they had just popped up on my radar a couple of months back and felt they were relevant to the topic, maybe not the OP's original post, but to the topic of charging in public places and the expense of putting in commercial L2 "revenue model" charging equipment.

I've always thought that Elon Musk has much the same potential for leadership like Jobs or Branson, but time will tell.  If he can get Tesla to break out of the upper income buyer market, he may be able to push electrified vehicles into the mainstream and then the necessary infrastructure to support them.

• P=E/t likes this

#24 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 282 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Obsequious, oleaginous, fawning apologies for going so far off the original topic, but--
Reading & implementing Seth Godin's book Tribes will change your business.
Reading & implementing Seth Godin's book Linchpin will change your life.

And another benefit of having thousands of L2 charging stations dotting the landscape, all paid for by advertising not the EV driver--that would eliminate theft of the drivers' own L1 chargers, wouldn't it?

There. I was relevant after all.
  • jeromep likes this

#25 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

This may make a good lock to keep your charge cord a tiny bit more secure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQBKTHQ

#26 OFFLINE   malaugh

malaugh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2013

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

So many books, so little time.  I've heard of "Tribes", but haven't had a chance to read it.

I had to share about Volta because they had just popped up on my radar a couple of months back and felt they were relevant to the topic, maybe not the OP's original post, but to the topic of charging in public places and the expense of putting in commercial L2 "revenue model" charging equipment.

I've always thought that Elon Musk has much the same potential for leadership like Jobs or Branson, but time will tell.  If he can get Tesla to break out of the upper income buyer market, he may be able to push electrified vehicles into the mainstream and then the necessary infrastructure to support them.

IMHO Elon' s got the right idea.  I do not see much future in these L2 chargers,  If I were a hotel, I would not install them.  Paying thousands of dollars so one car can charge overnight does not seem like a good business plan.  I think the future is superchargers, have the Elon type that charges the car in 30 minutes, and make the user pay if the car is left there after it is charged. L2 seems like a short term solution for the transition time before there are a vast number of electric cars on the road.   We have L2 chargers in our company (i use it every day).  When they were first installed you could park all day, now there are a lot of electric cars and everyone has to move as soon that the car finishes charging.

#27 OFFLINE   David Burnett

David Burnett

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationflorida
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:energi

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

You could leave a note on the cords and charger, "please don't touch, you are on video that is being recorded to a remote location"

or

you could coat your cord with vaseline and leave this note:

"Cord has been rubbed with a bio-hazardous solution that may be life threatening. Do not touch"

Edited by David Burnett, 09 March 2017 - 10:56 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 349 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

IMHO Elon' s got the right idea.  I do not see much future in these L2 chargers,  If I were a hotel, I would not install them.  Paying thousands of dollars so one car can charge overnight does not seem like a good business plan.  I think the future is superchargers, have the Elon type...

Telsa does have the Supercharger network, but t is only 1/3 of their charging strategy.  The main emphasis is still on overnight charging at home, and they have installed just as many L2 chargers at hotels (destination chargers) as they have installed Superchargers. 
https://www.tesla.co...arger,&name=usa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·