Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ford C-Max Energi Towing

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   techkraut

techkraut

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

I suspect that the regenerative brakes may be an issue with towing. Frame, tranny, and engine should be fine for light trailer.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I was thinking of a hitch mount to use one of those luggage trays that fit into the receiver, or even bike rack. I think it may be more aero dynamic to have storage behind rather than on the roof.

Jeff.

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#23 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

It's a whole lot more aerodynamic to put storage behind the vehicle than on top, no question. And given the smallish cargo area we have, an external cargo box is probably going to be useful.

I'm still getting prepared for actual trailer towing, but I have a single rail motorcycle trailer and a scooter to pull, so it's going to be pretty light overall.

#24 OFFLINE   Halberstadt

Halberstadt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNewark, DE
  • Current Vehicle:1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee (but C-Max Energi soon)

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Dozer Bob pointed out (in reference to towing the C-Max Energi, as behind a motor home):

I recently thumbed through the manual at the dealer and was happy to see that the C-Max and the Energi can themselves be towed behind a motorhome. Just place in neutral and run the engine every six hours to cool tranny I believe.
Page 245 of the Owners manual says this,

All-wheel drive (AWD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the
ground...

(snip)
• Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning
of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running
and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R
(Reverse) before shifting back into N (Neutral).

Glad to hear it is towable, but how do you follow the instruction to run the engine for five minutes? If the car isn't moving, will the engine stay on for more than a minute (or less)?

Bill Halberstadt

#25 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Push on the gas pedal while in park. It turns the ICE on.

#26 OFFLINE   Gyrobob

Gyrobob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNewnan
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

I bought a C-Max Energi yesterday.  I have one of those foldable trailers used occasionally for Home Depot trips, hauling a single motorcycle, towing a gyrocopter to a fly-in, etc.  The 4'x8' trailer weighs about 200 lbs, and the cargo never weighs more than about 400 lbs.  I am researching receiver hitches now.

#27 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Welcome to the Energi family, bob. There's another thread either here or in the Hybrid forum about hitches, but many of us are happy with the ecohitch from TorkLift Central. The major brands also have ones that fit, but they seem to be slightly harder to install.

I have the hitch, but haven't looked into wiring up the trailer lighting adapter yet. That's probably the next obstacle.

#28 OFFLINE   fwroberts

fwroberts

Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationMontague, MA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi - 303A

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks Mike for the tip about ecohitch. Here's a great youtube showing how it's installed:

It even answers the question "does it work with the kick sensor"...YES.

Rick

Edited by fwroberts, 30 August 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

I have that Torklift Ecohitch on my 2013 NRG and use it for either 1. bike rack and 2. cargo box (the latter makes a big difference in replacing the lost cargo space the battery took away - easily holds two suitacses or 4 x 40# bags of salt).  The hitch installs in a few minutes,. just replacing with the pre-drilled bolts that hold the muffler hanger, no additional drilling required.  There is a small metal bit that you bend out of the way, kick sensor works fine (or at least no worse than it does without the hitch :) ).  Hitch is rated to hold 200 pounds weight on the tongue, and can tow up to 2,000 pounds.  So my cargo box is ~25 pounds and I haul 160 pounds of salt or gravel, and my bike rack easily holds 4 bikes.  The limit is the strength of the bolts and their mounting holes in the frame.  Pleas enote Ford does not recommend or provide any tow hitch, the recommendation and limit is from Torklift .

#30 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Further information from Torklift- the 200 # tongue weight/2000 # tow weights are maxiumus due tot he strength of the bolts and frame pre-drilled bolt holes.

#31 OFFLINE   Eric1565

Eric1565

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationHouston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

You can tow with a Cmax Energi.   I use it to tow my 2010 Yamaha VX110 jetski.   It weighs about 1100-1200 lbs with fuel and gear.   It tows fine, accelerates fine, stops fine.   I live in houston, so it is flat.   The only issue I had was pulling the jetski out of the water.   I spun the tires alot getting it out.   Not a lot of weight on the front tires.   

"it will drain the battery too fast..." TAKE IT OUT OF EV MODE KNUCKLE HEAD!  (it doesn't drain the battery too fast BTW)   Yes on the hwy it will, but you should not be using your battery on the hwy anyway, it is a waist, unless your drive is less that 8 miles one way.

"it will be too hard on regen"  The car can only pump so many amps into the battery, after that the car uses standard friction breaks.

You people have all these opinions with nothing to back it up.   A sheet of paper from a company that is too afraid of liability issues.  "You can't tow with it".   "A bicycle trailer will over load it"    Load the car down with 4 americans (250 lbf) and that is perfectly fine, but a small trailer will ruin the car????

Short answer is, the Cmax can tow 1200 lbs No problem.   Yes it will kill your milage (29 mpg now at 65 vs 40mpg with out trailer) but know what... when you tow with an truck the same thing happens, goes milage goes from 17 mpg to 14 mpg of less

• dontfret likes this

#32 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

You can tow with a Cmax Energi. I use it to tow my 2010 Yamaha VX110 jetski. It weighs about 1100-1200 lbs with fuel and gear. It tows fine, accelerates fine, stops fine. I live in houston, so it is flat. The only issue I had was pulling the jetski out of the water. I spun the tires alot getting it out. Not a lot of weight on the front tires.

"it will drain the battery too fast..." TAKE IT OUT OF EV MODE KNUCKLE HEAD! (it doesn't drain the battery too fast BTW) Yes on the hwy it will, but you should not be using your battery on the hwy anyway, it is a waist, unless your drive is less that 8 miles one way.

"it will be too hard on regen" The car can only pump so many amps into the battery, after that the car uses standard friction breaks.

You people have all these opinions with nothing to back it up. A sheet of paper from a company that is too afraid of liability issues. "You can't tow with it". "A bicycle trailer will over load it" Load the car down with 4 americans (250 lbf) and that is perfectly fine, but a small trailer will ruin the car????

Short answer is, the Cmax can tow 1200 lbs No problem. Yes it will kill your milage (29 mpg now at 65 vs 40mpg with out trailer) but know what... when you tow with an truck the same thing happens, goes milage goes from 17 mpg to 14 mpg of less

I'm looking to put a hitch on to haul a small harbor freight trailer, just something to haul some lumber or sheet goods (plywood) home from the lumber yard. Less than 1000 lbs. teardrop camper owners routinely use similar trailers to pull their rigs behind all sorts of smaller vehicles by the way.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Edited by NedB, 28 March 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   ahc19081

ahc19081

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:27 AM

my bike rack easily holds 4 bikes.

dontfret, if you're still around (or others) . . . what bike rack are you using and do you recommend it? I'm about to install the hitch and am trying to decide which rack to get—ideally a 4-bike rack.

#34 OFFLINE   AKTroy

AKTroy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAlaska
  • Current Vehicle:Subaru Outback

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

I was curious about towing myself and wanted to see if the Prius had that option as it's been out a lot longer.

When I investigated online, the number one issue with this was transmission cooling. The engine has the power, the transmission has the power, the frame is adequate ( within reason), and the brakes are also adequate. There's actually quite a few photographs of people pulling small boats with the Prius. I think a big issue would come up if you were ever in an accident. Certainly any attorney could make the claim that the vehicle is not designed for towing, so I doubt any judge would find in your favor as you were creating a non-safe condition.

I would think for very short trips, and lighter weight, you would probably be fine particularly if you added a transmission cooling option. I have no idea how hard it would be to do on the cmax. I know I added one to my VW  van, as I put a much larger engine in, and it was relatively easy to install.

Certainly there is a practical limit to towing ( probably under 1000 pounds, and perhaps even less) don't know.

I can certainly see where the manufacture would say no, as any real distance driving would be too hard on the vehicle, and you would probably fry the transmission. Now as to hooking up your harbor freight utility trailer and hauling your trash to the dump, I bet you would be fine, but course just my opinion, and I've got no scientific proof to back it up.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#35 OFFLINE   Grunthos

Grunthos

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

I've towed with a Prius, and I now tow with my 2015 C-Max.  Both seem to do just fine, with my small utility trailer.  While the issue of legal repercussions is certainly a concern, I'm forced to wonder just what exactly someone could argue to suggest that this actually creates an unsafe condition.  I have always assumed that the recommendation against towing relates more to the wear and tear that would potentially occur on the vehicle, rather than the likelihood of creating danger.  

#36 OFFLINE   eldrijt

eldrijt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHuntsville
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

I tow a Bruno Chariot behind my Cmax Energi. It weighs over 700 lbs. when hauling my heavy wheelchair . The high electric torque accelerates like it's not even there . Pretty good gas mileage too . I just don't use ev now on steep hills .

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·