Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

passive air circulation? and/or fan without AC?

vents fan climate control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SFCohen

SFCohen

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

It seems like in every other car I've driven, when the car is moving there is air being pushed through the vents - enough that unless it's really hot outside, there's a pleasant little breeze and no need to turn on the fan or AC. Not so in the CMax: without the fan on, there's nothing coming through the vents, and it can get pretty stuffy in the car unless you roll down a window (which is loud at highway speed). Is there a reason the passenger cabin is sealed up like this?

Alternatively, is there a way to turn on the fan without triggering the AC? It seems like unless I can closely match the outside temp, it will blow either heated or cooled air rather than just circulating outside air. I'd like to avoid sacrificing range, and I also don't want chilled air blowing on me when the ambient temp is OK. What am I missing?

Thanks!

[=sfc=]

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

Set the temp and use the AC OFF button to turn the AC compressor off. Use the system in manual mode and

set the fan speed to your desired settings.

Most (98%) of all gas operated vehciles have a fresh air supply design mandated by the DOT to eliminate

the possiblity of asphyxiation from hydrocarbons. I think they allow these types of vehciles to bypass the

requirements. My Diesel Truck is the same. No forced airflow from the HVAC system while it's off. I prefer

not to have it. Back in the 60's GM coined the term " Astro Ventilation"

#3 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

It seems like in every other car I've driven, when the car is moving there is air being pushed through the vents - enough that unless it's really hot outside, there's a pleasant little breeze and no need to turn on the fan or AC. Not so in the CMax: without the fan on, there's nothing coming through the vents, and it can get pretty stuffy in the car unless you roll down a window (which is loud at highway speed). Is there a reason the passenger cabin is sealed up like this?

Alternatively, is there a way to turn on the fan without triggering the AC? It seems like unless I can closely match the outside temp, it will blow either heated or cooled air rather than just circulating outside air. I'd like to avoid sacrificing range, and I also don't want chilled air blowing on me when the ambient temp is OK. What am I missing?

Thanks!

[=sfc=]

My recent Fords have all been this way. I have to turn the fans on and the A/C off to get vent.

#4 OFFLINE   Taz

Taz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationVaries between MSP & SNA
  • Current Vehicle:Avalon Hybrid, Ford Flex EgoBoost

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

I have gone with Vent Visor and just crack my windows a bit. Also as mentioned use the manual mode and deselect AC.

The vent visors are great as well for keeping the cabin from getting as hot in the summer and still keeping the rain out. I haven't noticed any whistling from wind going around them on the highway.

#5 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

I pulled the following from the online owner's guide.  It specifies what needs to be done to "vent" the cabin.

In mild weather, you can improve your fuel economy when using the climate control system by using outside air instead of air conditioning.

• Turn the temperature control knob(s) so the interior temperature is set to 60°F (15.5°C).
  • Set the air distribution to panel or floor (or both).
  • Press A/C to turn the air conditioning off.
  • Press the recirculated air button so fresh air enters the vehicle.
  • Press the small fan button until the fan is at its lowest setting.

I think this most directly addresses your need.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vents, fan, climate control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·