Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Close to 30,000 mi and max battery charge shows only 17 miles

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kweemax

kweemax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford CMax

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Purchased my Cmax 8/12/2013 and been very happy with it...however, within the last couple of months the battery meter only shows 16-17mi when fully charged.  I was consistently getting 22-24mi before. Anyone else experiencing this anomaly?  When I ran the self diagnostic it says everything is normal...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

That data reading is a dynamic readout based on your driving requirements from the systems load demand.

I always get 25 to 29 miles to display on the battery data. The harder you drive (higher demand) the vehicle

the lower the number. Temperature also plays a role. The fact is, you can't base battery condition on that number.

You'll need to look at the KW used from each charge.

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:27 AM

or I would guess how long it is taking to charge would tell you how much was used.

#4 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

Purchased my Cmax 8/12/2013 and been very happy with it...however, within the last couple of months the battery meter only shows 16-17mi when fully charged.  I was consistently getting 22-24mi before. Anyone else experiencing this anomaly?  When I ran the self diagnostic it says everything is normal...

Sounds like the effect of having the A/C on to me.   Next time you see 16 or 17, turn the A/C off and observe the increase immediately.

• Kermit likes this

#5 OFFLINE   kweemax

kweemax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

It's getting worse...now showing 14 miles when it's fully (100%) charged.  Starting to wonder if the batteries are losing capacity. How long is the warranty on the batteries?

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,270 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:58 AM

Please described in detail your daily driving.  

Battery warranty is described in detail in the warranty supplement booklet supplied with the owners manual; basically 8 years for most states, 10 for CARB states.

#7 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

It's getting worse...now showing 14 miles when it's fully (100%) charged.  Starting to wonder if the batteries are losing capacity. How long is the warranty on the batteries?

8 Years / 100K or 10 years / 150K, but that is for battery failure.  It sounds like you have a case for having this checked. Perhaps something is wrong with the charging system.

Some degradation is expected over the life of the battery, but it should not be huge. But you should note that the range is not an indicator of capacity. How many kwH are you getting out of the pack?

• miboje likes this

#8 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:50 AM

Do you use My Ford Mobile?  What is it reporting for kWh used from full to "empty" (i.e. hybrid mode)?  Do you have a means to measure the amount of energy taken from the wall to charge?  What are your miles/kWh, or MPGe when in electric mode?

#9 OFFLINE   kweemax

kweemax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

Do you use My Ford Mobile?  What is it reporting for kWh used from full to "empty" (i.e. hybrid mode)?  Do you have a means to measure the amount of energy taken from the wall to charge?  What are your miles/kWh, or MPGe when in electric mode?

I do have My Ford Mobile...how do you display the kWh used? Is there a way to display the kWh on the fuel gauge instead of the miles (on the dashboard and/or My Ford Mobile)?

#10 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:46 AM

I do have My Ford Mobile...how do you display the kWh used? Is there a way to display the kWh on the fuel gauge instead of the miles (on the dashboard and/or My Ford Mobile)?

Here are a couple of methods to find the kWh's used to deplete the HVB.

* Reset one of the trip odometers when the HVB is full. Drive until the pack is empty and check the trip odometer for the kWh used.

* The kWh used is can also be determined in the MFM  trip logs. First make on or more trips to deplete the battery. MFM will not record short trips so each trip should be a couple of miles or greater.  Log into MFM and select the My Driving tab. Click on the Trip & Charge Log link. Sum up the kWh used for trips driven to deplete the HVB.  It might be best to deplete the HVB in a single trip but I don't think there should be too much difference even if several trips were used to deplete the pack.

Tom

#11 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

Have you had a chance to visit your dealer to get this checked out, kweemax?

Meagan

#12 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 300A

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

As I mentioned in this thread http://fordcmaxenerg...apacity/page-9?, I'm 50K miles and down to 14 EV miles in optimum conditions (no AC/heat, driving conservatively). 4.1KWH used on each charge. Most of this 30% loss has been in the last year, and it feels like it accelerated in the last 6 months.

50K miles, 3 years old and down to 4.1KWH. Best I can get is 14 miles on EV in town. My commute for the last year and a half is freeway 32 miles each way, 110V plug in at work and 220V at home. 

My first year and a half was mostly EV (M-F) as my commute was in town.

Edited by mipmapped, 09 December 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:13 PM

As I mentioned in this thread http://fordcmaxenerg...apacity/page-9?, I'm 50K miles and down to 14 EV miles in optimum conditions (no AC/heat, driving conservatively). 4.1KWH used on each charge. Most of this 30% loss has been in the last year, and it feels like it accelerated in the last 6 months.

50K miles, 3 years old and down to 4.1KWH. Best I can get is 14 miles on EV in town. My commute for the last year and a half is freeway 32 miles each way, 110V plug in at work and 220V at home. 

My first year and a half was mostly EV (M-F) as my commute was in town.

Any steps towards resolving the premature degradation of battery life? Have some of the cells gone bad? I see you are in CA.

#14 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

I plan to take it to the Ford Store Morgan Hill soon to get a recall done so I will bring it up with them. I'm not optimistic until it throws an error though (it still says battery is healthy). I'll post my experience. Gas is cheap right now so I'm not in a rush.

#15 OFFLINE   mipmapped

mipmapped

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

And I just realized - my avatar picture needs updating... :) 

#16 OFFLINE   kweemax

kweemax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

Have you had a chance to visit your dealer to get this checked out, kweemax?

Meagan

The condition has not improved no matter how I drive it. I have taken it in to Encinitas Ford (in San Diego) several times and they really have no clue how to diagnose or work on the HPB on the  CMax energy. They have had my car for weeks and even contacted the Ford Hotline Assistance. But they always come back with the Battery is operating under normal condition and there is nothing they can do.  At what point can I get Ford to replace the battery under warranty?

#17 OFFLINE   kweemax

kweemax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

As of 10/5/2016 -The condition has not improved no matter how I drive it. I have taken it in to Encinitas Ford (in San Diego) several times and they really have no clue how to diagnose or work on the HPB on the  CMax energy. They have had my car for weeks and even contacted the Ford Hotline Assistance. But they always come back with the Battery is operating under normal condition and there is nothing they can do.  At what point can I get Ford to replace the battery under warranty?

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,237 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

How many kwh now can you get out of a full battery trip?  You know when you power the car off trip summary or if you reset the trip meter before you drive off it counts kwh.  Your car is about the same age as mine.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 31 October 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

But they always come back with the Battery is operating under normal condition and there is nothing they can do.  At what point can I get Ford to replace the battery under warranty?

Quick answer to your question is NEVER, they will always say the battery degradation you are experiencing is 'normal' because they categorically refuse to define what is abnormal.  I have the identical car (05/2013) at 31,000 miles, consistently only show ~14 estimated miles, the more important number is the kwh delivered per 100% charge.  Should be 5.4 for new battery, you'll likely only get ~4 now due to battery degradation.  I had the car in several times at Ford Kearney Mesa, they did all the testing required by Ford Hotline  (FHL) to confirm the degradation, they were told by FHL to tell me that is normal, not covered under warranty.  I had an extensive call to Ford Customer Service to press them to define what is the warranty, they finally told me it for 8 years/100,000 miles (higher in CA) but they are not allowed to tell customers what the battery capacity/performance might be.  So as long as it can still work as a hybrid (say only 5 miles plug-in estimated miles), they can still claim the battery 'works.' They are forbidden to state the waranteed plug-in capacity, told me that 'information is proprietary.'  Another thread here, we are contacting Capstone Law to represent a class action - they got Nissan to finally declare the capacity for the Leaf and replace their batteries. Don't hold your breath, just enjoy your hybrid  :happy feet:

Edited by dontfret, 01 November 2016 - 02:01 PM.

• kweemax likes this

#20 OFFLINE   kweemax

kweemax

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

How many kwh now can you get out of a full battery trip?  You know when you power the car off trip summary or if you reset the trip meter before you drive off it counts kwh.  Your car is about the same age as mine.

-=>Raja.

I'm getting 3.7 kWh at 10.7 EV miles.  This is without A/C nor heat turned on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·