Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Map upgrade

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nocarbon

nocarbon

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

Just got the $149 map upgrade offer. Why isn't it simply a software upgrade. I've got a 100,000 mi warranty. If I have to pay, is it worth it? Anybody know?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

The update on the SD card will have updated Points of Interest and Updates road information in some areas. If there are not a lot of new roads in your area, and the POI data is working well for you, then it may not be worth it.  The update can commonly be found for less money through other sale channels that the dealer or the map update site they recommend.

If the update was to the whole Sync system and affected Navigation features and functionality, it would be a Sync update that you could download to a USB drive and install yourself free of charge.

#3 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 552 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:37 PM

I got the B5 update last year.  If you ask me if it was worth it, I'm not sure.  My wife was adamant about not wanting the latest, x6 version.

#4 OFFLINE   nocarbon

nocarbon

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:10 AM

Agreed. If it upgraded the sync functionality I'd jump at the opportunity. Aside from that the map and roads seem to be recent and so far quite accurate.

#5 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:37 AM

I have had the A4, A5, and now the A6 that came with my C-Max.  The A4 was upgraded to A5 for free by Ford back in 2013 or so when they made the massive upgrade to SYNC.

I don't really see any difference between any of them, other than I believe the A6 card I am now using shows LESS speed limit information for many roads.  Never noticed the lack of speed limits when I was using the A4 or A5.

You should also have SYNC Services which will find the latest POI or address if you don't have it in your present map version.  Give them a free call, or use one of the limited numbers of free operator assistance calls you get. The directions can be sent directly to your navigation unit in the car.   Sure beats paying for a map card which really isn't all that updated.

Edited by ls973800, 30 July 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

You can find them FAR cheaper on eBay than the ripoff price that Ford sells them for. They are legit SD cards from Ford, just not with the ridiculous Ford price attached.

#7 OFFLINE   Joewo

Joewo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

I bought an A6 data card from Ebay for about $60 for Sync. It is from TeleNav and specific for my car. It should work just fine.

It SHOULD be as easy as downloading an update using my computer and copying to my old data card....or a $20 shipping/processing fee for a new card with data. The $189 cost from the original letter from Ford a few months ago was just too much.

#8 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

I have my phone in a holder that mounts in the CD changer slot, and I use Google maps or Waze for navigation, gives me verbal over the car stereo system and actually understands my verbal commands.  Much better that a static map that doesn't 'know ' traffic, accidents, alternate routes or can link me to destinations from a google search.  And updates constantly for free.  Fooie on Ford mobile and SYNC for maps - just use sync to link to my phone.

• WingNutLori likes this

#9 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 552 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

While I am definitely confused about what previously named NavTeq calls itself now, here is the link to purchase directly from the manufacturer:

http://ford.navigati...n_US/FordNA/USD

Sad to say, but at $189 Ford is attaching a middle man fee, but I guess that's how businesses do things.

I have definitely seen cards on eBay for a more reasonable price, and wonder how they sell them so cheap.  (I haven't bought from eBay, but I am very tempted to at times.)

Using the cell phone tends to eat up the battery, and doesn't always work in low signal conditions.  If there is signal consistently during a trip it definitely has some advantages, although I thought there is optional traffic information available on the Ford system available?

#10 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • LocationNederland
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan Qashqai (Rogue)

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

I do get traffic information and the questions if I would like to navigate around it or stay on this route.

It was already there, I didn't turn that on or had to buy anything.

It knows what happend and how long the traffic jam is in km and minutes delay on the route.

#11 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

I do get traffic information and the questions if I would like to navigate around it or stay on this route.

It was already there, I didn't turn that on or had to buy anything.

It knows what happend and how long the traffic jam is in km and minutes delay on the route.

They provide traffic for a set period of time, I believe 6 months. It is part of the satellite service. Cost is 3.99 per month after it runs out. I plan to keep that one going, although I will cancel the other Satellite services.

#12 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:25 AM

My 2015 came with 5 years of traffic through XM/Sirius.  The XM/Sirius only came with a 6 month trial, but the traffic remains turned on for the 5 years.  I haven't decided yet if I will renewal the music portion or not.  Too many other free services such as Pandora and I Heart Radio to pick from.

#13 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

I purchased my A6 card off from eBay.  Absolutely genuine.  It came shrink wrapped in the little Ford branded clam shell.  The clam shell case that the new card came in was identical to the case my original A5 card came in.  The card itself has identical markings compared to the A5 card that came with my car and it works like a charm.  I immediately noticed some POI corrections and some road changes which were not on the map set on the A5 SDcard.  A nice improvement for the areas I drive in.

I wouldn't be afraid to purchase this item from a seller on eBay.  Check your seller ratings first as seller ratings are generally really good indicators of the quality of product and accuracy of description that a seller posts.  I know that Ford would rather we all purchase from their official channels, however at the price they are charging a "black" market will always appear.

I suspect that there are some industrious Ford dealer parts departments out there that want to make a few bucks aside from what they normally sell through the service department and a good way to clear a few dollars is to sell map SD cards on eBay way under what Ford lists them at.  Based only on observation, I suspect that the MSRP on a map SD card easily provides the final seller a 100% to 150% profit.  Since so much profit is built into the MSRP, the industrious dealer figures that it is better to sell a lot of the little chips on eBay for a fraction of the cost and make money on the volume.

#14 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 552 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

I purchased my A6 card off from eBay.  Absolutely genuine.  It came shrink wrapped in the little Ford branded clam shell.  The clam shell case that the new card came in was identical to the case my original A5 card came in.  The card itself has identical markings compared to the A5 card that came with my car and it works like a charm.  I immediately noticed some POI corrections and some road changes which were not on the map set on the A5 SDcard.  A nice improvement for the areas I drive in.

I wouldn't be afraid to purchase this item from a seller on eBay.  Check your seller ratings first as seller ratings are generally really good indicators of the quality of product and accuracy of description that a seller posts.  I know that Ford would rather we all purchase from their official channels, however at the price they are charging a "black" market will always appear.

I suspect that there are some industrious Ford dealer parts departments out there that want to make a few bucks aside from what they normally sell through the service department and a good way to clear a few dollars is to sell map SD cards on eBay way under what Ford lists them at.  Based only on observation, I suspect that the MSRP on a map SD card easily provides the final seller a 100% to 150% profit.  Since so much profit is built into the MSRP, the industrious dealer figures that it is better to sell a lot of the little chips on eBay for a fraction of the cost and make money on the volume.

I noticed on some of the images on eBay that the back of the clam shell has a copyright of 2013.  This was shocking to me and I'm glad to hear that there are updates to the data on it!  Thank you!!!

I was a little irritated after buying the B5 as it seems soon after the X6 versions came out.  (Dealerships seemed to have newer versions than that sold direct from NavTeq!)  There are lots of questionable CDs/DVDs on eBay that I bought direct from NavTeq/Here at the high price that they charge as well...

#15 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:42 AM

This whole "pay for map updates" scheme is seriously antiquated. I mean, almost everyone has a smartphone these days, which come with free GPS apps (Google Maps, Waze, etc...). To think that auto manufacturers still charge outrageous amounts for map updates is, well, outrageous.

At least some of them are taking steps to ditch the old model. Tesla uses Google maps for their nav system. Even GM is making their vehicles compatible with Android Auto/Apple Carplay, which will allow people to hook up their smartphones and “beam” the navigation app from their smartphone to the center console screen.

#16 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

My 2015 came with 5 years of traffic through XM/Sirius.  The XM/Sirius only came with a 6 month trial, but the traffic remains turned on for the 5 years.  I haven't decided yet if I will renewal the music portion or not.  Too many other free services such as Pandora and I Heart Radio to pick from.

Interesting. My 2014 only came with 5 years of Travel Link, which is different than Traffic Link.

#17 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Interesting. My 2014 only came with 5 years of Travel Link, which is different than Traffic Link.

You got me wondering if I posted the correct information about the Traffic for 5 years, so I checked.  According to the brochure the Traffic AND Travel link are included for 5 years on my 2015 C-Max Energi

EcoRoute turn-by-turn directions for maximum
efficiency on every trip. It also includes a 5-year
subscription to SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link
®
services.

C- M

Edited by ls973800, 27 August 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

You got me wondering if I posted the correct information about the Traffic for 5 years, so I checked.  According to the brochure the Traffic AND Travel link are included for 5 years on my 2015 C-Max Energi

EcoRoute turn-by-turn directions for maximum
efficiency on every trip. It also includes a 5-year
subscription to SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link
®
services.

C- M

And you got ME wondering. The 2014 manual has no mention of Traffic link, only travel link.

#19 OFFLINE   olidx

olidx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

Hi All,

Is it okay to revive this thread? I have a question on a A7 SD Card map upgrade that I have purchased off of eBay.

Does anyone else have purchased a A7 SD card? I wanted to compare the content as I am not sure I got a genuine card!

Thanks!

Edited by olidx, 29 October 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,237 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

I haven't upgraded mine if anyone who upgraded wants to get rid of their old map card for short money let me know please and thanks!

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·