Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Towing on a Tow Dolly

towing tow dolly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heb1024

heb1024

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationHuntsville, AL
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:22 AM

So just checking here - when towing the c-max Energi on a tow dolly, are there any battery concerns?  I have seen the posts on flat towing talking about the battery problems.  I just traded my mini cooper that I had been towing on a tow dolly for a 2013 c-max, and was planning to tow it on the tow dolly also.  Just wanting to make sure before I went on my first trip with it (beginning of August).

Thanks for your help! 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:32 AM

No problem with a tow dolly.  Tow it the same way you tow the Mini.

• heb1024 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   garymkrieg

garymkrieg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

Actually there is no battery problem when it is flat towed when you use the most up to date Ford towing instructions.  In the beginning Ford had people putting the key on accessory to flat tow and that would drain the battery.  Ford revised the towing instructions to be to turn the key to off while towing.  In the off position the battery drain is the same as when it is parked.

Gary

Edited by garymkrieg, 10 July 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   heb1024

heb1024

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

Excellent, Gary - thanks so much!

#5 OFFLINE   heb1024

heb1024

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:26 AM

I need more help on this.  My Mini Cooper was a manual transmission, so I just put it in neutral and went.  When I leave the C-Max in neutral my battery seems to completely drain in about 6-8 hours.  This is easily dealt with by just remembering to put it in park when I stop and start the engine, but I have drained the battery totally twice now before figuring out that this is what is happening.  Considering the comments above (saying there are no battery problems when towing on a tow dolly), I am wondering if I don't have to put it in neutral to tow it on the tow dolly?  And yes, I have been putting it in neutral and turning the engine back off.  It is a keyless start, so there is no key position to worry about as discussed above.  

Thoughts on this?

#6 OFFLINE   garymkrieg

garymkrieg

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

I don't tow using a tow dolly, we tow four wheels down. Last week we towed 4 straight days with no battery problems.  During those 4 days the car was never disconnected from the motorhome and was never turned back on, ie once it was in neutral with the ignition off that is the way it stayed until we got where we were going. To set it up for towing we turn the car on, put the transmission in neutral, turn the car off.  I always look for the "Thank you for driving a hybrid" message to know the car is off, since we also have a push button start. I'm not sure what is going on with yours unless it it is staying in an accessory position rather than actually shutting off.

Gary

• heb1024 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   heb1024

heb1024

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:03 AM

okay thanks!  yeah, it definitely is not shutting off - lights stay on and it tells me to take the car out of neutral.  I will play with it some more.  Anyone out there towing on a tow dolly?

#8 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:36 AM

okay thanks!  yeah, it definitely is not shutting off - lights stay on and it tells me to take the car out of neutral.  I will play with it some more.  Anyone out there towing on a tow dolly?

There are three forums I follow, this one the C-Max hybrid, and the Fusion Energi. All of them have something about towing. It seems to me that I've seen some posts where they ran a power cable to the vehicle while towing. Sorry, can't remember which forum it was in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·