Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

C-Max Production to Move to Mexico

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

I found this over at Blue Oval:

http://www.freep.com...exico/29918345/

The encouraging thing is "new generation" C-Max, so it sounds like it's going to stay around. The big question is, what will it look like...

• miboje likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

The encouraging thing is "new generation" C-Max, so it sounds like it's going to stay around. The big question is, what will it look like...

Won't matter to me even though I really like the 2015 C-Max Energi I am now driving.  NO WAY will I buy a car or truck made in Mexico!  There may be limited options, but I will buy US or Canadian built as long as I can!

• epic likes this

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Happy to say glad I got mine when I was made in the US of A.

-=>Raja.

• epic likes this

#4 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:33 AM

The only car I have owned that was assembled in Mexico, a VW Golf GTI, was outstanding.  I have no hesitation about buying a car assembled there.

Hopefully the next gen C-Max will be designed for batteries under the floorboards so interior room is maximized.

#5 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

There is a similar thread in the Hybrid Forum. 

As I posted there:  I note from the article that the Mexico production could begin in 2018.  Presumably this would be for the 2019 model year.

It is difficult to imagine that they would make that move for only one or two years of production; so, I suppose that this indicates plans to keep the C-max Hybrid and Energi alive for at least another 5 model years. 

Judging from events in the oil industry beginning in 1986 and their similarity to current events, I imagine that this might be long enough for high gas prices to re-appear.

#6 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:43 PM

Maybe they can sell them in Mexico. I sure won't buy one made elsewhere. Our economy sucks

and this isn't helping anyone except the manufacturers greedy nature.

I bought the C-Max because it was made here. I can buy a friggin Toyota if I wanted a foreign car.

• ls973800 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

Maybe they can sell them in Mexico. I sure won't buy one made elsewhere. Our economy sucks

and this isn't helping anyone except the manufacturers greedy nature.

I bought the C-Max because it was made here. I can buy a friggin Toyota if I wanted a foreign car.

The C-Max may be assembled in the US but many parts are made elsewhere. About 40% of the C-Nax parts came from US and Canada in 2014. Some foreign cars have higher North American content. 

http://www.cheatshee...html/?a=viewall

I am guessing that in 2018 the C-Max will have much lower North American content. 

Tom

#8 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:48 PM

The C-Max may be assembled in the US but many parts are made elsewhere. About 40% of the C-Nax parts came from US and Canada in 2014. Some foreign cars have higher North American content. 

http://www.cheatshee...html/?a=viewall

I am guessing that in 2018 the C-Max will have much lower North American content. 

Tom

Looks like my next car will be a Vette :wink:

#9 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:36 AM

Don't fool yourself,  my guess is the 40% North American contents is a fudged stat. There are thousands of parts that go in to building cars and most of those parts come from global suppliers. On page 12 of the attached document is a list of Ford's Global Suppliers. I'm not saying all of them are used for the C-Max, but individual parts of, say the dash board, come from multiple suppliers. I'm more comfortable purchasing a car made in Mexico versus China, but I would rather have a car "Made in America". I have to admit that I've checked out the new Hyundai Sonota PHEV. It's scheduled to be released in 2016 and comes with many more standard features and available options than the C-Max and even the Fusion. If the C-Max Energi is to continue, Ford is going to have to step up their game to compete.

http://corporate.for...sr13-supply.pdf

#10 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

Don't fool yourself,  my guess is the 40% North American contents is a fudged stat. There are thousands of parts that go in to building cars and most of those parts come from global suppliers. On page 12 of the attached document is a list of Ford's Global Suppliers. I'm not saying all of them are used for the C-Max, but individual parts of, say the dash board, come from multiple suppliers. I'm more comfortable purchasing a car made in Mexico versus China, but I would rather have a car "Made in America". I have to admit that I've checked out the new Hyundai Sonota PHEV. It's scheduled to be released in 2016 and comes with many more standard features and available options than the C-Max and even the Fusion. If the C-Max Energi is to continue, Ford is going to have to step up their game to compete.

http://corporate.for...sr13-supply.pdf

I have been very happy to be an early adopter of the C-Max. It is a great car. I have always thought that there was room for improvement and innovation as the car companies develop EV and PHEV technology. I don't expect to be an early adopter for the next round version of these cars but I will be following their development.  I agree that Ford will have to step up their game. They could start by actually adding viewable and/or more flexible ways to display information. So far they seem to be progressively removing information and that is disappointing. 

Tom

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

I would agree with Tom:

They could start by actually adding viewable and/or more flexible ways to display information. So far they seem to be progressively removing information and that is disappointing. 

For example, some useful stuff out of the SG tools should be displayable on the car's MFT screen.  Why not incorporate that stuff instead of having to use a 3rd party tool to get it?

-=>Raja.

#12 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

From the Detroit Free Press article, "Industry analyst Dave Sullivan of AutoPacific called it a "a power move before negotiations start ... Before today, Ford didn't really have anything to negotiate on; the UAW had the upper hand. Now Ford has wiggle room to negotiate for jobs and products."

This is pretty typical in negotiations with the union.  One side or the other will feel as if they don't have any bargaining chips and will "create one" to get an advantage.  A number of other sources out there point to how the Michigan Assembly Plant got the Focus/C-Max line, and that was through the union negotiation process.  The concessions that Ford got from the union back sometime between 2009 and 2010 are what brought Focus/C-Max production to that plant to begin with.

It is very expensive to retool a production line; therefore if manufacturing is going to be moved from one plant to another, it is usually done at the time a new design is introduced.  Since the Focus and C-Max will probably be looking at new designs in the next 2 or 3 years, it makes sense that Ford would put this on the table to try to get a concession or get the union to back down on a demand.  Ford is known as the least agressive negotiator in the U.S. auto industry, usually goign along with contracts similar to what GM and Chrysler negotiate, this has changed a bit since Allan Mullaly became CEO at Ford, but basically they are the most agreeable of the 3 manufacturers.  So, if Ford puts something on the table as a barganing chip, it usually means that the union is asking for way too much.

I strongly recommend reading "American Icon" and "Once Upon a Car" as good baseline books about the auto industry, the impact of the Great Recession on the auto industry, and some insights into the inner workings of this business.

Edited by jeromep, 01 August 2015 - 02:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·