Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Apparently nobody mods a C-Max

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 533 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

That’s way beyond me GS Dave! Just drive the S5 when you need speed?

I’m just trying to convince the wife to get some 17” Enkei RPF1s.....

Edited by jzchen, 28 February 2018 - 07:22 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

I like sleepers, and the S5 is not really a sleeper, most people know they are quick....but a quick C-Max, that would be some fun at the drag strip.  Time and funds will determine if I do it.

#63 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationKy between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Energi, Prius, Lexus

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

Finally blocking the heat.

Attached Files

#64 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Looks nice Milkman!!

#65 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationButler, Pa.
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Titanium, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4wd

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:38 AM

E85 add on kit as found on my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

#66 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi SE Kona Blue

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:15 AM

E85 add on kit as found on my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

Interesting.... how does this work?  I saw a thread about it on the Escape Hybrid- https://www.greenhyb...-run-e85-17206/

So there's a hardware module that tricks the PCM a bit?  Does it require any time for adaptation before you are running normal with gasoline (and can run E85)?

#67 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

3rd party vendor that just connects to the fuel injectors with the "brain box" included.  I have 181,000 miles on my Escape Hybrid and over 115,000 using this add on kit.  Enables running any blend of ethanol. Can post photos if needed/desired.

#68 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

3rd party vendor that just connects to the fuel injectors with the "brain box" included.  I have 181,000 miles on my Escape Hybrid and over 115,000 using this add on kit.  Enables running any blend of ethanol. Can post photos if needed/desired.

I am curious!  Would like pics.  You are saying that you installed this kit on your C-Max (Hybrid or Energi?) and it works out of the box?

#69 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

How much did you lose in gas mileage using E85?

Paul

#70 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

I am curious!  Would like pics.  You are saying that you installed this kit on your C-Max (Hybrid or Energi?) and it works out of the box?

Reading a bit more, I see how this works now.  You install a gadget that sits between the stock fuel injector harness and the injector--it monitors the ECU's injector signal and OR's it with its own signal on the output, which it switches on for a fixed period of time after the ECU's injector signal switches OFF, thus adding a static value to the injector pulse width.  ECU has no idea but the O2 sensor tells it that it needs to adjust, and some folks recommend starting slowly with e.g. 50/50 E85/gasoline at first until the ECU has adapted.

Neat!  One thread mentioned the FEH can already tolerate something like E60 if you get an appropriate mix of E85/gasoline in your tank, since there is already a lot of wiggle room.  The ECU can probably run E85 anyhow the only thing this "gadget" does is prevent the ECU from tripping the Check Engine Light claiming the trim % is out of spec.

Edited by spirilis, 20 July 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

I have already run my Cmax on a blend of E85 just over 50% prior to installation of the add on kit.  The check engine light comes on somewhere around 55% blend but the engine continues to run without issue.   What many of us don't know or forget is that E85 ranges from 55% to 85% depending upon the month of the year and region.  In the cold northern states--think Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.  the ethanol blend will be lower while in July it will be higher.  The Ford Escape hybrid (2005) has a similar range before the check engine light comes on.    Post #70 correctly explains how it works.   As for loss of "mpg", it depends.  In general, once there is a 18-20% spread (cheaper than E10), you start putting money into your pocket.   On my trip to Wisconsin, I stopped in Gaylord, Michigan where E85 went for $2.05 (Speedway and Mejier) while E10 was $2.85.  

The Cmax also has a 2. 0 liter engine that is like the Focus 2.0 liter flex fuel engine.   There is another forum that deals with "tuning" engines and some of my ethanol forum members have tuned vehicles such as a Chevy Volt to run on E85.   Another interesting reading is about the unmodified 2003 Prius running on E85 see this link: http://www.ethanol-s...prius-e85.PDF. Makes one think that the Cmax can be tuned as the flex fuel focus but that is a subject for another thread. 

#72 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

That is pretty cool. I am one of those nerds who bought the C-Max in an attempt to improve my "carbon footprint" so E85 is of interest to me. The short bit of reading I've done suggests it is worthwhile to the tune of 30-40% improvement of lifecycle GHG emissions.

Does ethanol also improve your antiknock performance for e.g. when you go driving through the mountains? Might be worth the mpg hit there.

Although I have one strange thought. With an E85 injector kit, does the car's fuel economy computation end up "off"? Since it doesn't know the real pulse width...

#73 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

Each driver can calculate their own fuel economy via distance and fuel used.   These E85 aqdd on kits normally have a small knob to fine tune what happens.  

#74 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

photo of the E85 add on kit:

e85%20add%20on%20kit_zpsx0z10ja4.jpg

#75 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

Pumped 5gal of E85 today and filled the rest with regular (87) gas... didn't get a prior snapshot but the original LTFT was around -1.5% to 3% or so.

Now after 12 miles of mostly EV Later in town:
Attached File  Screenshot_20180721-123020_FORScan Lite.jpg   103.64KB   0 downloads

Edited by spirilis, 21 July 2018 - 08:43 AM.

#76 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

I have already run my Cmax on a blend of E85 just over 50% prior to installation of the add on kit.  The check engine light comes on somewhere around 55% blend but the engine continues to run without issue.   What many of us don't know or forget is that E85 ranges from 55% to 85% depending upon the month of the year and region.  In the cold northern states--think Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.  the ethanol blend will be lower while in July it will be higher.  The Ford Escape hybrid (2005) has a similar range before the check engine light comes on.    Post #70 correctly explains how it works.   As for loss of "mpg", it depends.  In general, once there is a 18-20% spread (cheaper than E10), you start putting money into your pocket.   On my trip to Wisconsin, I stopped in Gaylord, Michigan where E85 went for $2.05 (Speedway and Mejier) while E10 was $2.85.  

The Cmax also has a 2. 0 liter engine that is like the Focus 2.0 liter flex fuel engine.   There is another forum that deals with "tuning" engines and some of my ethanol forum members have tuned vehicles such as a Chevy Volt to run on E85.   Another interesting reading is about the unmodified 2003 Prius running on E85 see this link: http://www.ethanol-s...prius-e85.PDF. Makes one think that the Cmax can be tuned as the flex fuel focus but that is a subject for another thread. 

Didn't say what the MPG hit was. Also CMAX monitors knock and retards timing, HB says it doesn't recommend less than 86 octane.

Paul

#77 OFFLINE   Billyk24

Billyk24

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationButler, Pa.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

Didn't say what the MPG hit was. Also CMAX monitors knock and retards timing, HB says it doesn't recommend less than 86 octane.

Paul

The Renewable Fuel Association has E85 octane between 95-97 which is far above what most vehicles use.  E15 has an octane rating of "88".  Many of the E85 forum members who have not "tuned" their vehicle find that a E50-60 blend provides the most "bang for the buck" with the least hit on mpg (5% loss) while enabling a cheaper blend.   Due to the seasonal variation of E85, it is difficult to state the mpg hit but a general statement is "when E85 is priced 18-20% less than E10" then you put money in your pocket running E85. 

#78 OFFLINE   spirilis

spirilis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:53 AM

In the short term here I just saw some strange GOM results... my full tank lists Hybrid range as 617mi right now. Don't think I see it that high much. Wonder if it's a fluke and will adjust much lower by the next fillup?

#79 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

I use 93 octane Premium most of the time except when I travel where I see 91 octane and my MPG's suffer at little. Here E85 isn't much cheaper than Regular and I like getting 700 - 750 miles per tank. Higher octane is better, but BTU's are the best. :smile2:

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 24 July 2018 - 05:43 AM.

#80 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

The OP bailed and hasn't been back since his 4th post in June 2015.  Look at all the mods he's missed!

• ptjones likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·