Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Apparently nobody mods a C-Max

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

I suspect the sienna rims were spec'd for load carrying, not weight. 11 lbs is indeed a bunch of unsprung weight though.

I was speaking of what I'll do to the CMax , the Prius will be handed over to my teenage son, when the time comes. He'll get a roughly ten year old car to use which is still running great. I won't have to 'worry' about him as much as I would in a pickup or a tuner car.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Cnk789

Cnk789

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 303A

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

I had a Jetta TDI prior to getting my C-Max Energi. I had a stage 2 tune, a 3.5inch turbo back exhaust and an AFE stage 2 cold air intake with the pro dry filter. It was awesome, you could really hear the little diesel purr. It was pretty quick and averaged about 52mpg. I miss it a lot.

However, I purchased the C-Max because of the electric drive-train and to be a stepping stone car until the Tesla Model 3 comes out. I don't want to hear my C-Max's gas engine turn on. Its the opposite of what I want to hear. I try my best to use only the electric side of the car, unless I'm taking a trip then I'll use the ICE. So I don't want any engine mods to a PHEV.

On the other hand, I have do a few styling Mods. I have changed every single light bulb to LEDs with the exception of the H11 fog and low beams, and the H1 high beam. I'm waiting on Ford to release the 2017 C-Max parts so that I can upgrade to the new projector headlights. I'll be putting in some H11 LEDs as soon I get the housings. I thought about getting my wheels powder coated to anthracite but haven't gone through with it. I also have the windows tinted 50% front, 35% rear.

One mod that I would be interested in would be adding solar panels to the top of the roof like the C-Max Energi Solar Concept Ford is working on.

Again though, I don't want to mod the exhaust, or the engine. I would also stay away from the K&N air filter. The oil from the filter can make its way to the Mass Airflow Sensor and do damage. Also, the C-Max Energi and Hybrid comes stock with a built in true cold air intake already.

I wish Ford would release a software update for the engine and drive train though. They could easily get a couple more MPGs out of the car if the programming was closer to the Prius's programing.

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by Cnk789, 07 January 2017 - 08:29 PM.

• sporkinum likes this

#43 OFFLINE   C-Maximus

C-Maximus

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 31 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNorthEast
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:SAAB 9-5 SportCombiwagon Aero Turbo

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Here are the mod's I would do, if I could:

1. Install a larger battery.

2. Install battery heating / cooling.

3. Make the Skylight a useable panoramic sunroof.

4. Get rid of the eCVT and add a manual transmission (I am coming from a HCH with a manual).

Here are the mods I will do:

1. Add system monitoring (scanguage II, easy mod).

2. Put Rain-X on all the windows (not really a mod, but I had to think of something).

3. Run the tires at 50 PSI.

4. Install lightweight, aerodynamic rims.

#44 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:FOrd

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

Speaking of solar panels.......locally there is a Nissan Leaf with a rack and appx a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood on it with solar panels on it. I see it plugged in so obviously it isn't adding enough but I have to stop and ask them about it. I would never do it as it looks cheesy as can be but I still have to stop and ask.

#45 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

Well I finally purchased my car, and I lucked out and got a great color; candy Blue. At this point I'm leaning towards a plastic spray/ Dip wheel kit from Dip Your Car, either a Dark Blue or a Dark Grey. New York enacted new anti Window Tint Laws, so I'll be leaving the windows Stock.
I might do a highlight pinstripe at the beltline... DipYourCar again... but that's about it. Come next fall/winter I'll be buying a set of rims and some snow tires. The LRR stock tires wont cut it in Central New York winter.
I read in another thread someone didn't like the stock lighting... I've had HID lights on my Prius for years now, I do notice a difference, but in a good way. The HID on the Prius were pretty much high beams all the time. The stock fog lights were useless. The Cmax lights work well, and the fogs are effective, with the high beams doing a good job too.

#46 OFFLINE   patbob

patbob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPNW
  • Current Vehicle:asdf

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Its the wife's car, but if I could, I'd like to mod the ECU firmware and add an accumulate-battery-charge mode.  I'd also like to add a glide mode, where the car would coast without the mandatory regen braking.  Some other indicators would be nice too (an ICE temp gauge and an engine-hours readout, for starters).  (edit) And a readout of how much regen I'm getting while braking would be nice to have.  (edit edit) And I don't think it has an "instantaneous" MPG/MPGe readout -- I'd really like to have that to help me learn how to optimize my driving style.

What I will do, is have the windows tinted, and that's about it since there's not much point fiddling with the engine.  If it was a car I drove all the time, I might play with some gaspods, but I doubt they'd be able to make much difference since the car was pretty well optimized in the wind tunnel.

Edited by patbob, 28 March 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   sporkinum

sporkinum

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

I And I don't think it has an "instantaneous" MPG/MPGe readout -- I'd really like to have that to help me learn how to optimize my driving style.

My Cadillac I traded in on the C-max had that, and I liked it a lot. It also had real-time tire pressures for all 4 wheels,  and memory seats, which I miss on the C-max. Other than that, the C-max has pretty much everything the Caddy had. The C-max has as much cabin room for sure.

#48 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Attached File  ruby copy copy.jpg   501.19KB   0 downloads

Hardly inspiring but I did tint my windows and add the rain shields. As much to keep interior temps down as anything. I love the looks of a lowered car but the wife doesn't. I might be able to sneak in a little. 

#49 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

Here are the mod's I would do, if I could:

1. Install a larger battery.

2. Install battery heating / cooling.

3. Make the Skylight a useable panoramic sunroof.

4. Get rid of the eCVT and add a manual transmission (I am coming from a HCH with a manual).

Here are the mods I will do:

1. Add system monitoring (scanguage II, easy mod).

2. Put Rain-X on all the windows (not really a mod, but I had to think of something).

3. Run the tires at 50 PSI.

4. Install lightweight, aerodynamic rims.

What about LEXAN Grill Covers and wheel covers?

Grill Covers
tn_gallery_143_17_13038.jpg

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 29 March 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2009 VW GTI, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

How do you modify perfection? Maybe I'll think of something. Went to Pep Boys today and didn't see any accessory that would reduce the turning radius except for a floor jack, which seems bulky and inconvenient. I wouldn't lower this car, it's awfully low already. Its handling could be better, but the big battery creates a center-of-gravity problem that wouldn't be solved by lowering. I'm hoping to see, though, how some enthusiast has used Fiesta ST suspension parts to make an improvement?

Three days in to C-Max ownership, my first mod was to buy some beige duct tape and neatly cover up the airbag warning on the sun visor. It was distracting and unnecessary, since my former baby-on-board is now off at college, driving a C-MAX of her own.

#51 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

my first mod was to buy some beige duct tape and neatly cover up the airbag warning on the sun visor. It was distracting and unnecessary

You can't be serious, really?

-=>Raja.

#52 OFFLINE   ISU_Cyclone

ISU_Cyclone

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilwaukee
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Explorer

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

Here is a hood protector I got on eBay.  $39 to prevent further rock chips

Attached File  IMG_9482.JPG   134.37KB   6 downloads

#53 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2009 VW GTI, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Speaking of solar panels.......locally there is a Nissan Leaf with a rack and appx a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood on it with solar panels on it. I see it plugged in so obviously it isn't adding enough but I have to stop and ask them about it. I would never do it as it looks cheesy as can be but I still have to stop and ask.

You'd lose more energy by spoiling the aerodynamics than you'd gain from the sun. My home PV system is 10 years old, so perhaps it's half as efficient as today's panels. Charging my C-MAX would consume three hours of peak midday production from all 18 solar panels, so doing that with one panel would take at least 10x that long. Are you patient?

#54 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

You can't be serious, really?

-=>Raja.

Certainly, I've done it with all my cars. The warning sticker uses color and high contrast to catch your eye. Once it's read and understood, it's served its purpose. Fortunately, the C-MAX sun visors are so high and set back that it's less of a distraction than in other cars, but still. For the same reason, I'm delighted (pun intended) that the dash LCD screen includes an Off button.

#55 OFFLINE   Perry Knopp

Perry Knopp

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:30 AM

You'd lose more energy by spoiling the aerodynamics than you'd gain from the sun. My home PV system is 10 years old, so perhaps it's half as efficient as today's panels. Charging my C-MAX would consume three hours of peak midday production from all 18 solar panels, so doing that with one panel would take at least 10x that long. Are you patient?

I said, I would never do it. 

#56 OFFLINE   Joshg678

Joshg678

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

Here is a hood protector I got on eBay. $39 to prevent further rock chips

IMG_9482.JPG

That looks nice, might have to get one.

Any one have a pic of the Vent Shades on the windows? Thinking about getting some but not sure how it will look

#57 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Most auto mods aim to enhance a car's strongest points, so the fast get faster, the low get lower (opposite for trucks)...that seems silly to me. I'd only mod to improve the weak aspects of a vehicle. 

I'll be watching this post and hoping for some good ideas, maybe when the early C-MAXes are needing shock replacement. The suspension feels like it has good design, but the comfort/stiffness balance could be shifted towards the performance end of the spectrum. Bigger sway bars would help keep an even keel in corners, too. 

When my car gets a workout on the daly cloverleaf, first it's the seats that let me down, because of soft bolstering. Then the Michelin Energy tires reach their limit, beginning to sing a tune. That's at 15mph over the posted speed warning, so I'm not saying the car isn't performing well. But it could feel more capable, more composed, more buttoned-down, I'd like that. I"m coming out of a VW GTI, which was the most efficient and practical performance car I could find. Now I'm happy to discover this obscure car, the best-performing choice among practical and efficient models.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·