Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Apparently nobody mods a C-Max

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

Lots of owners stuff foam in the grill in the winter.  Is that a mod?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:49 PM

If anyone finds and figures out an HID kit, I'd be interested in that.

#23 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

If anyone finds and figures out an HID kit, I'd be interested in that.

Check out the Fusion Energi forum, they have some folks who have been working on that.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/

#24 OFFLINE   Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

delorean_40_153.jpg

• SyNRG and P=E/t like this

#25 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

Check out the Fusion Energi forum, they have some folks who have been working on that.

I took a look and once again, it seems that install (at least the one I was reading about), was wrought with gremlins. I can dfo a little bit of a lot of stuff, but auto electrical is not one of them. I'm hoping a kit becomes available that's plug and play with an easy ballast install and no now the turn sigs don't work, I got the turn sigs working and now the fogs don't work, I got the fogs working and now there's a loose nut behind the wheel...

#26 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

delorean_40_153.jpg

Is this an at home fusion reactor?

#27 OFFLINE   SyNRG

SyNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAnaheim, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

delorean_40_153.jpg

"If my calculations are correct... when this baby hits 88 miles-per-hour... you're gonna see some serious ***t."

#28 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 547 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:43 AM

Well, to answer the OP, I've looked for an intake, but couldn't find one.  Since the car is my wife's, she probably wouldn't go for it anyways.  I did find a K&N drop in filter like you did.  Do not buy the cone shaped one on juicedhybrid as I don't think it's correct for the US C-MAX.  I am considering ordering the K&N 33-5001, as she's coming up on 30,000 miles and I believe that is the change interval, but I am not sure my wife is going to even keep the car longer than 1 year from now...

I'm not really fond of cutting off a perfectly good exhaust, so I can't help on that....

Edited by jzchen, 30 June 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 547 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

Well, I convinced my wife to get the K&N as I said they are reusable and that that's what I would get.  It arrived yesterday, but still got about 1000 miles before 30k.  Used a 20% off code at AutoAnything and total was $35.xx with free overnight shipping, even after tax!

#30 OFFLINE   Taz

Taz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationVaries between MSP & SNA
  • Current Vehicle:Avalon Hybrid, Ford Flex EgoBoost

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

I wouldn't mind some mods. Lightweight wheels will be one of the first things on my list. I had a C-max diesel in Europe but doing any mods to it were a real PITA thanks to TUV approval in Germany.

I would also go for aero mods that actually work. I don't think I'd do too much in the way of lowering since I sometimes have to drive on crappy roads. I already have a very lowered Flex that I have to be pretty careful where I drive it at times. It is the highly modded car in the family and a 12 second family wagon is a lot of fun as well. So that pretty much satisfies the wild side of my car personality. OTOH my some of my motorcycles are very highly modified.

At the end of the day I am concerned with good drivability. I done with having to deal with tuning that isn't spot on in the pursuit of a few more HP. Just thought of something else, the headlights aren't that great. Most of my motorcycles have better. So a good LED or HID kit that WORKS would likely be my first upgrade. Almost forgot, the non-vented seats suck for me in hot leather. I like the fan cooled seats in my Avalon a lot. I broke down on a trip and bought crappy seat covers to get me through a trip in very hot weather as I was tired of sticking to the seats.

#31 OFFLINE   AgentEnergi

AgentEnergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEnumclaw
  • My C-MAX:2015

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

Grandpa car?  No you bought a generic government pool car.  The city and county around here have fleets of them.  They are the base color and models so I feel better that I have all the options to tell my car apart from them.

If I wanted my car low enough to scrape consistently on parking garage ramps and speed bumps, I would have kept my Volt.

I shop for used trucks a lot and nothing tanks the price like the mods mentioned.  Lowering, lifting, tuning, and performance exhaust knock thousands off the blue book value. 

If somebody really wanted to try to mod the performance of a CMAX Energi, I recommend buying a 2013 when gas goes below $2 this fall.  That way you are out less than $10K when you start fiddling around.

#32 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

evmattyp,

I bet the domestic market for body kits and suspension kits for the C-Max is pretty slim.  I'm not sure that the vehicle has found its break out market.  It certainly doesn't sell in the raw numbers that the Focus does.  Numbers of vehicles built and sold has a lot to do with the quantity of aftermarket mods you'll see available for a vehicle.

With that said, the C-Max in the U.S. is hybrid only, which means it sells at a higher price point than a lot of vehicles of similar size and capability, which also means fewer on the road and little demand for mod kits.

So your conclusion about having to order out of the UK (I might also suggest looking at Germany) is correct.  I recall the same questions being asked in Prius forums 10 years ago and the only way to get body kits, suspension kits and some performance enhancing kits was to order them from Japan or through U.S. sellers who imported JDM (Japan Domestic Market) parts.  There was actually a pretty significant amount of vehicle customization in Japan on the Prius which then generated a lot of aftermarket spoilers, body kits, light effects, etc.

I myself am not into moding vehicles.  I tend to purchase them fully loaded, or at least with all the features I want, and leave it at that.  But when you do get around to completing your mods, post some photos.

#33 OFFLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

I have never actually modded a car in the ways you are asking about.  I've only done the superficial stuff myself, like a custom shift knob or fluffy aftermarket seat covers.  And that was when I was in high school driving 10-year-old Honda Prelude.

I have thought about it, though, but I would focus on handling before horsepower myself.  Things like lowering and firming the suspension come to mind.  Please do share what you come up with!

#34 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

Ever since I installed a ScanGaugeII, I've been rather obsessed with the battery temperature. In the recent hot weather, I often start my morning commute with the HVB at 87F and the temp rise is typically 9-11F over a 9 mile commute. Then, even though I park in a garage in my building, the situation is worse on the way home. The thing is, any temperature over 86F is starting to get "unhealthy" for lithium ion batteries...

So, although it wouldn't be especially sexy, I'd like to mod with an improved battery cooling system. Liquid cooling would probably be impossible, since the pack wasn't designed with that in mind and batteries certainly don't like moisture, if anything leaked. But maybe better air cooling? This would prolong HVB life significantly in warm climates.

So far, I haven't got past my initial notion of just chilling down about 4 cases of beer and laying them on the cargo deck with the back seats folded down....

#35 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 547 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:56 PM

I think you guys may have misunderstood what I was trying to get across.  Maybe I wasn't as clear as I needed to be.  I was asking about actual vehicle modifications, not cup holders or tag frames. 

Since the c-Max shares a platform with the highly modded Focus I assumed there would be a lot of interchange between the two....in terms of performance/mechanical upgrades.  I was expecting to find at least a few aftermarket intake systems, a couple of bolt-on catback exhausts, suspension kits, etc.  Looking online I found 1 company in Germany who makes a lip kit with rear spoiler and rear diffuser and a few cheesy wheels....that's it.  K&N offers a drop-in panel filter but that's all. 

This is sorta what I'm looking to do with mine...

jqrk06.jpg

2i0pv1e.jpg

I can confirm that the K&N filter does wonders to help the ICE.  Even my wife "thought that the shoes she was wearing were particularly good for driving" after I switched at 30078.2 miles, just over the prescribed change interval.  (The air filter still looked quite good/new as the car has less than 13000 miles on the ICE.)  I don't hear any "roaring" for air like I used to.

Edited by jzchen, 30 August 2015 - 02:20 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   Grumpy Rick

Grumpy Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, and '14 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

The one mod I would like to make to mine is to add black wheel lip trim like the Escape has.  Can not find any available.

As far as mods on the drive train, I have 8 years of factory warranty to protect, so that's the bottom line on that.  Besides, I have been into cars all my life, and I can, and have, changed lots of things on my Mustang Gt, my '55 T-Bird, and my '56 Ford Vicki, not to mention my wife's '22 Model T with the V8-60 running gear.

#37 OFFLINE   pumafeet10

pumafeet10

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-max energi

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

to revive and old thread, there are some things that can be done for sure.  Some of the suspension is the same as the focus of the same generation, sway bars and springs will swap over.

I wouldnt be surprised if the exhaust would swap over too, as im planning on doing mine as well, going to drop some weight and with it being stainless steel it will be much more pleasing and corrosion resistant. 

An air intake can be done, but it will have to be semi custom, and actually wouldnt be too hard for any competent fabricator to make and simpler and easier to access intake tubing and filter, plus you could make it a true warm air intake to increase mpgs, and would sound a measurably better then stock.

I was looking at the lip spoilers as well, and there arent a ton of options but there are a couple. also look into sealing off the rear underneath the rear bumper, it acts like a giant parachute, as that will be one of my next projects

#38 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

Grill Covers

From my experience K&N air filter adds horsepower but not MPG's but Grill Covers add around 2 mpg and 50psi tires around a 1/2 mpg.  Wheel covers add 1-2 mpg. :smile2:

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 03 May 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   NedB

NedB

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax, 2005 FEH & 2007 Prius

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

I'd say that most of us are likely to enjoy the unique (not quite, but certainly different) capabilities that the CMax offers. I've been accused of being 'that hybrid guy' at work. Of course it been ruthless in sharing my enthusiasm for my Prius' renewed high mileage abilities. It all started when I complained about needing to fill up one day, was asked 'I thought that plugged in, how much gas does it really use'.

As enthusiastic as I am about my Prius, and the CMax, let's face facts, I'm Not loving them for classic 'Car' reasons ... The high mileage is the draw, not horsepower or styling, and the efficient hum & 4cyl purr don't stir the soul quite as much as my old Chevelle's 350 LT1 ever did, no matter how much fun it is to reach new goals while driving.

As for Mods, the K&N would be first, then a window tint from the B pillar back. Then I'd probably put a plasti-Dip on (I'm left 'cold' by the stunning shades of grey or neutral, and the red just isn't me either) for a nice updated pop of color.

How efficient or lightweight are the stock rims? Are there lighter weight ones available?

#40 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 547 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:54 AM

I'd say that most of us are likely to enjoy the unique (not quite, but certainly different) capabilities that the CMax offers. I've been accused of being 'that hybrid guy' at work. Of course it been ruthless in sharing my enthusiasm for my Prius' renewed high mileage abilities. It all started when I complained about needing to fill up one day, was asked 'I thought that plugged in, how much gas does it really use'.

As enthusiastic as I am about my Prius, and the CMax, let's face facts, I'm Not loving them for classic 'Car' reasons ... The high mileage is the draw, not horsepower or styling, and the efficient hum & 4cyl purr don't stir the soul quite as much as my old Chevelle's 350 LT1 ever did, no matter how much fun it is to reach new goals while driving.

As for Mods, the K&N would be first, then a window tint from the B pillar back. Then I'd probably put a plasti-Dip on (I'm left 'cold' by the stunning shades of grey or neutral, and the red just isn't me either) for a nice updated pop of color.

How efficient or lightweight are the stock rims? Are there lighter weight ones available?

Still on the original set of tires, I haven't gotten a chance to measure the weight of a free wheel, so I'm not sure.  I always go to TireRack as most of their wheels they measure the weight.  One time I found the weight of a wheel listed on www.tires.com by going to the manufacturer website which had them listed, but otherwise there they are not, last time I checked.

Most likely for the Prius you can save a lot of weight.  I find Toyota wheels to weigh a lot!  I saved 11 lbs each wheel on a '04 Sienna switching from the OE 17s to 17" Enkei PF01s.  (I actually weighed the free wheels on a scale.)  I weighed a '12 Prius v 17" tire/wheel assembly and compared to the weight of a tire and lightest wheel on TireRack and found good savings on those as well.  (I can't remember exactly but at least a few lbs each.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·