Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Apparently nobody mods a C-Max

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   evmattyp

evmattyp

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Smart ForTwo

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:08 PM

So I've just bought my second C-max about 8 weeks ago and I'm putting together a list of modifications I'd like to make to them. I'm very surprised to find that almost nobody in the US is modifying their C-max either for more performance or better styling. It appears if I want any parts for the car I'm going to be ordering from the UK. 

So did I buy a pair of grandpa cars or is nobody interested in personalization anymore? 

For the record all I'm going to do is an intake/exhaust and some lowering springs and a nice wheel/tire package. If I can get some good prices on a lip kit I'll order one of those from Germany.  Not going to make it any faster but it'll look better, sound better and hopefully pick up a few mpg's on the highway. 

cheers.

M

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:44 AM

Not going to make it any faster but it'll look better, sound better and hopefully pick up a few mpg's on the highway. 

cheers.

M

What can sound better than the silence of an electric drivetrain ???

• ptjones, quahill, Kermit and 3 others like this

#3 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:52 AM

I leased my C-Max, so no mods for me.

#4 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

There's been some Plastidip painting, and LED light upgrades, but indeed not too much else.  Maybe only having an ICE drives people to modify their cars to increase the enjoyment level while our PHEVs do it all without such enhancements?

• miboje likes this

#5 OFFLINE   engnrng

engnrng

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 143 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Locationventura
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:303A

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

There's been some Plastidip painting, and LED light upgrades, but indeed not too much else.  Maybe only having an ICE drives people to modify their cars to increase the enjoyment level while our PHEVs do it all without such enhancements?

Window shields, bug deflector on nose, mud flaps, gas pods, license plate frame and personalized plate.  Peanuts and case of caffeine on the folded down right rear seats along with jump start battery, books on CD on the passenger seat (only a 1 cd player - oh well, MP3 format gives me 10 to 15 hours of listening between disk changes), 110V charge cable and 25 ft HD extension cord on the folded down driver side rear seat, along with laptop and briefcase going to work.  Perfect personalized and plush commuter vehicle.  I would never modify exhaust or intake while under Ford factory warranty for the next 10 years - why mess with perfection and risk warranty void?  Oh, yes, I have the interior light color set to red to match the exterior paint, and set the sound system for my seat position.  With gas station visits once per quarter, what more could I ask for? 

• WingNutLori likes this

#6 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

Try Here...

http://www.juicedhyb...ries-s/1295.htm

#7 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

I'd like to find a rear window spoiler that had a vent hole in it so my window rear wouldn't get so dirty.

• P=E/t likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

I just pimped my ride with a deeper center console tray...does that count?

It's already helped me get 12.6 more MPG.  :wink:

Edited by Kermit, 17 June 2015 - 04:16 PM.

• viajero, timwil56 and P=E/t like this

#9 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

No performance mods, but I have added: window shields, splash guards, rear cargo tray, hood deflector, chrome rear license plate holder, possibly upgraded carpeted floor mats and of course, the deep center console tray.

Forgot, Husky floor liners, front and rear.

Edited by timwil56, 18 June 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   evmattyp

evmattyp

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

I guess these replies pretty much answered my question...... 

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:55 AM

Let's see what did I add...?

1.  Weather tech floor mats in the front only.

2.  Mud guards for the tires all around.

3.  Gas pods

4.  A rear digital display sign for vehicles behind me in case I need it late at night.

5.  Live to Fly license plate in the front.

6.  EV drivers kick gas license frame in the back.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

#12 OFFLINE   evmattyp

evmattyp

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

I think you guys may have misunderstood what I was trying to get across.  Maybe I wasn't as clear as I needed to be.  I was asking about actual vehicle modifications, not cup holders or tag frames. 

Since the c-Max shares a platform with the highly modded Focus I assumed there would be a lot of interchange between the two....in terms of performance/mechanical upgrades.  I was expecting to find at least a few aftermarket intake systems, a couple of bolt-on catback exhausts, suspension kits, etc.  Looking online I found 1 company in Germany who makes a lip kit with rear spoiler and rear diffuser and a few cheesy wheels....that's it.  K&N offers a drop-in panel filter but that's all. 

This is sorta what I'm looking to do with mine...

jqrk06.jpg

2i0pv1e.jpg

• jzchen likes this

#13 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

I replaced the puddle lights, license lights and cargo lights with LEDs.  I added a hitch.  I created a shelf for the storage bin (see thread).  I added cargo area storage bins.  I  put an orange ball on the antenna for easy spotting in parking lots.  That's all, folks!

#14 OFFLINE   evmattyp

evmattyp

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:43 AM

ok, I give up.

#15 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. From the responses to your original post, I think the moral of the story is, people don't do body or performance mods to their C-Max's. I purchased mine for fuel economy and environmental reasons. I try to use the ICE as little as possible, so why modify it. The car is aerodynamically designed to maximize air flow, so I don't believe a front lip is necessary and side molding might increase the aerodynamics slightly, but would not work in a Minnesota winter. Just because the C-Max shares the C platform doesn't mean it shares the same body design, so the same mods would not fit both vehicles. Good luck with your quest to modify your C-Max.

Edited by timwil56, 18 June 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

ok, I give up.

On a more serious note, they don't make engine performance mods because the engine is somewhat unique, in that it is tied to a hybrid transmission system. Adding custom mechanical mods is not recommended or useful. As to the body, I'm not sure why folks don't do that. The European stuff is there because there is more market over there for the vehicle, where it can be had with diesel.

The biggest mods I've seen here is trailer hitches, and "gas pods" that go on the roof - some folks have put those on and claim a small improvement in MPG.

The car is on the focus platform, but shares just about no parts with it that I know of.

#17 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Locationcentral
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

Can you send me a link to the spoiler and lip kit please?

I don't see the payoff in doing engine mods on a plug in EV.  I'd be looking at boosting economy and comfort rather than engine performance on Maxie. 

Now my Mustang GT, that's a different story.  Ford's air intake begs to be replaced and the V8 engine can handle extreme (think Kenny Bell/Shelby) mods that *really* boost the performance.  Then you need to upgrade the brakes and suspension.  (yah, I'm not the guy that's going to put on smoked tail light covers and angel eye headlights and call my 'stang modded)

I just don't see that benefit on my Maxie.    I sure wouldn't invest in a business to sell performance parts for the Cmax, and with the limited number of them on the road, there isn't much of a payoff in doing the R&D work to make quality bolt on parts.  

I don't want not junk coffee can exhaust on any of my cars.

#18 OFFLINE   edweird

edweird

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDaytona Beach, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:32 AM

When I was in high school, my peers often got hand me down cars from their parents that they would then "mod".  Wheels/tires, exhaust, racing stripes and other things were common.  This could have a nice effect on a sedan or if you were lucky enough a 2 door.

One fellow got a station wagon, and he put stuff on it.  The thing was the nicest station wagon in the high school parking lot, but at the end of the day, it was still a station wagon.  Most folks thought he should have sold the wagon and taken the money plus what he spent on mods and bought a more sporty car to begin with.  That sort of sums up how I feel about modding a C-Max.

#19 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

evmattyp, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are younger than the majority of the rest of us. While I've never been into modding cars, if I had been, it would have been in my much younger days, when I was more into appearances and had nothing better (or so I thought) to spend my money on (and I didn't have much of it). Sometimes I see a modded car that looks kind of cool (other times, not so much), but these days, I can think of 1,000 other things that I would rather spend my time and money on than tweaking the appearance and sound of my car. This car is a nice way to get from Point A to Point B, and after the initial purchase, most of us want to spend as little as possible on it (especially as it relates to feeding the gas tank). I think many of us bought this car for its practicality; modding it kind of goes against that philosophy. 

Having said that, though, I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up doing! I hope you can find what you want/need. :)

#20 OFFLINE   SyNRG

SyNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:51 AM

I love modding my cars, all of my previous rides were modded, but realistically there isn't a market for modding the C-Max Energi (already searched for bolt-ons for giggles, nothing available out there, no springs available from H & R, zelch), besides car was never intended to be that type of vehicle.  And I don't think folks like us consumers and tuners too, are willing to mod the ev portion or any part of the ICE of this vehicle due to complexity and among other things.

If I were to ever mod this car, it would be limited to some type of drop-in air filter (non-exist currently), a nice set of lightweight wheels in OEM size, and maybe a set of euro HID headlight conversion, but that's it.  But really that is all a pipe dream since my #1 priority right now is my 8 month old son.

But yes there are days where I imagine my car looking like this someday:

2015-Ford-C-Max-ST-Upcoming-1.jpg?resize

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·