Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendation for replacing original tires?

tires replacement tires

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

So ptjones, do you think I'll take a mileage hit using the Michelin Premier A/S? Maybe I should go with the original tires.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

In #21 above I was replying to #15. I clicked on quote so there wouldn't be confusion, but quote didn't show up. How do you guys make the quote work?

#23 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 550 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Once I click "Quote" it shows up in the reply box.  Maybe it's a browser issue, using Google Chrome.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat:  cheaper, LRR, a tad longer treadwear, and well, Run Flat.

Edited by jzchen, 01 November 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

I have also noticed more rolling noise right after having the tires rotated at 30k miles (they have always been rotated front to back only every 10k miles). There are no vibrations and the tires look to be wearing evenly with plenty of tread left. I am tempted to have the tires rotated back and to have the bearings checked out to make sure there are no other problems. I have also wondered it this is all my imagination since I am so used to the car rolling very quietly. 

Tom

These tires do make more noise the more miles they get on them, that's why I reverse the rotation direction, but they still make noise.  I wonder if the alignment is causing the problem of tires feathering on the edge. I think that is the noise problem.  Another 20K mi. I will be changing mine again. :smile2:

So ptjones, do you think I'll take a mileage hit using the Michelin Premier A/S? Maybe I should go with the original tires.

"Yes and I would go with the original tires if you want keep your mileage". :smile2:

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 02 November 2015 - 02:08 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

Well, despite the spot-on advice against, I went ahead and bought the Michelin Premier A/S tires to replace my worn out originals. They are a definite drag on mileage--sort of like rolling on rolls of masking tape with the sticky side out. The difference in noise level (louder) and ability to coast (reduced) is immediately apparent. Still, I plan to keep them on the car through the winter with the hope that they will perform better in the snow, that is if we ever get any. I'll likely go back to the easy rollers in the spring and hold on to the Premiers for winter driving.

#26 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I have driven my tires many times in the snow and I didn't think they did a bad job of it. I have 53K on my second set, hope to make it through the Winter. :smile2:

Paul

#27 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

Hi,

Living in Florida, I doubt I will ever have a need for tires that can grip better in snow.  Should I just go to the local Ford dealer when I think the tires need changing?  The GMC dealer that sold me the car told me they were special low resistance tires to help extend the battery range.  Also, how important is it to rotate the tires?  It's something we never did back in Ireland as was considered a safety risk (lifting the car) and just meant that you would end up replacing all four tires at the same time instead of the two (more often the front) that needed changing.  

#28 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:04 PM

Hi,

Living in Florida, I doubt I will ever have a need for tires that can grip better in snow.  Should I just go to the local Ford dealer when I think the tires need changing?  The GMC dealer that sold me the car told me they were special low resistance tires to help extend the battery range.  Also, how important is it to rotate the tires?  It's something we never did back in Ireland as was considered a safety risk (lifting the car) and just meant that you would end up replacing all four tires at the same time instead of the two (more often the front) that needed changing.  

Check out Post #24 :smile2:

Paul

#29 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:29 AM

Well, despite the spot-on advice against, I went ahead and bought the Michelin Premier A/S tires to replace my worn out originals. They are a definite drag on mileage--sort of like rolling on rolls of masking tape with the sticky side out. The difference in noise level (louder) and ability to coast (reduced) is immediately apparent. Still, I plan to keep them on the car through the winter with the hope that they will perform better in the snow, that is if we ever get any. I'll likely go back to the easy rollers in the spring and hold on to the Premiers for winter driving.

Tire Rack lists them as "Michelin Total Performance".  Bummer.

Maybe they're a little less efficient because your old tires were already worn/had less rubber?....

#30 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:42 AM

Hi,

Most tire shops know how to responsibly lift a vehicle, but I live on the other side of the country.  Shop around, you may find better pricing by doing so.

Sometimes the tire manufacturers give a warranty on tires for a mileage duration.  Let's take an example of 50,000 miles.  Their warranty stipulation usually is that all 4 tires wear out at the same time.  So if all 4 wear out at 25,000 miles, you would get a prorated credit of 50% on a new set of tires.  (I say usually because sometimes if the tire store knows that you've tried to take care of them as prescribed, ie. tires rotated every 10k miles in this car, the tire store will warrant tires less than a a set of 4.)  For this reason it is a good idea to rotate as prescribed.  At 10k miles it is unusually long in the C-MAX.  Sometimes age of a tire is a concern, and leaving the rear to age a longer period may be an issue depending on whether you use the vehicle a lot or not as well.

Edited by jzchen, 04 January 2016 - 04:43 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:08 AM

Tire Rack lists them as "Michelin Total Performance".  Bummer.

Maybe they're a little less efficient because your old tires were already worn/had less rubber?....

Not sure if you know this or not, but your FE goes up when tread goes down. So when tires are worn out you will be getting your best FE. :smile2: 

Paul 

#32 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Not sure if you know this or not, but your FE goes up when tread goes down. So when tires are worn out you will be getting your best FE. :smile2:

Paul 

That's what I meant to say, but I wasn't sure that was the effect.  So the new tires are at a disadvantage to the worn out ones.

#33 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

I see practically new Michelin's going for 1/2 price. :smile2:

Paul

#34 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Yup. Or maybe, as I say, keep them for next winter. So far no winter this year, only reduced mileage (sigh).

#35 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 550 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:39 AM

Yup. Or maybe, as I say, keep them for next winter. So far no winter this year, only reduced mileage (sigh).

Michelin Promise Plan???  (Exchange within 30 Days)

#36 OFFLINE   marcin

marcin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:07 PM

I had pretty good luck with the OE Michelins.  Got 60k out of them.  Since we finally have this thing called "rain" in California (yay, El Nino!) I opted to experiment with some non-LRR tires.  Based on a bunch of research, the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 came out on top for great dry and wet traction (allegedly good in snow as well).

I've got about 3k on the new Conti's and observations thus far are:

• In the rain, definitely better than the Michelin's.  Michelin's weren't bad, but the Conti's are better.  
  • I lost ~3-4 mpg.  I went from 45.9 to about 42.0.

If fuel economy is top priority, then you probably want to stick with some form of LRR tire.  I found plenty out there cheaper than the OE tire, but have no experience with them.  The Extreme Contact is a nice all-season choice, but will hurt a bit at the pump...

• jzchen likes this

#37 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the info, but that is to much to give up for me. And I think the Michelin's are fine with 50PSI in them. IMO Got 64K on first set and have 58K on second set. :smile2: 

Paul 

#38 OFFLINE   Juhuti

Juhuti

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

I switched out the Michellins for Nokian WR G3's. I had them on my ML430 and loved the wet and snow ability. Plus they are LRR. No real change in FE either.

#39 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

Just to update: now that Michelin Premier A/S tires have worn in, my mileage is improving. Still not as good as originals, though. They were very good on the big snow we had in the east, that is until it accumulated to 3 feet.

#40 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

I switched out the Michellins for Nokian WR G3's. I had them on my ML430 and loved the wet and snow ability. Plus they are LRR. No real change in FE either.

It will be interesting to see what your long term Mileage is so please keep us posted. :smile2:

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tires, replacement tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·