Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendation for replacing original tires?

tires replacement tires

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

My original Michelins on my '13 C-Max are nearing the end of life (50,000 miles). What do people recommend as replacement tires?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:37 PM

I haven't given much thought as of yet and haven't looked to see if there are Eco versions, but I was thinking of getting run flat tires when I have to replace.

#3 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:32 PM

I don't know if this link will work, but yes, I agree on getting runflats, and they do come in LRR/EcoImpact:

http://www.tirerack....gi&autoModClar=

I like the price as well.  If you have an America's Tire or Discount Tire near you I believe they can match the price, but if not anyways there seems to be a $60 gift card in it as well as Tire Rack's road hazard for a set of 4...

Edited by jzchen, 30 June 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the link to the Pirelli P7s jzchen. This site sure makes them look good. Good price too. I'll see if I can find them locally.

• rbort likes this

#5 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

it looks like they could be closing them out here is link for all different versions watch for the treadwear

http://www.tirerack....minLoadRating=S

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:32 AM

it looks like they could be closing them out here is link for all different versions watch for the treadwear

http://www.tirerack....minLoadRating=S

The V speed rated ones are 500 treadwear.  This is pretty high I believe.  The W rated ones seem somewhat low like you warn.

#7 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

Yes the issue could come up in a price match where the store just punches in the tire and no one notices they are the lower mileage ones.

• jzchen likes this

#8 OFFLINE   SFCohen

SFCohen

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

My original Michelins on my '13 C-Max are nearing the end of life (50,000 miles). What do people recommend as replacement tires?

cmwv, what tires did you wind up getting? I'm thinking about replacing the OEM tires on my '13 Energi - they're not worn out, but don't grip worth a darn in wet weather, and I don't even want to think about taking the car out if we get any snow. I've read mixed reviews about run-flats, so wondering what your experience is. I'm really impressed with reviews of a couple of Continental tires, PureContact and TrueContact, but neither of those are run-flats...

Thanks!

[=sfc=]

#9 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

Sorry, SFC. I've been away. Haven't replaced my originals yet. Still trying to eek out the last few miles on them. Plus replacing four is soooo expensive. I'll have to do it before winter though.

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

If you use anything besides Michelin's OEM tires your FE is going to suffer some. And I got 64K out of first set.  :smile2:

Paul 

#11 OFFLINE   wcshaff

wcshaff

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:38 AM

To ptjones, did you do anything special to get 64K miles out of your OEM set of Michelins?  I am sitting at 16K and the front tires are down to 4/32" of tread, about at the point of needing replacements. Most of my driving is low speed around town so I am perplexed.  

#12 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:41 AM

To ptjones, did you do anything special to get 64K miles out of your OEM set of Michelins?  I am sitting at 16K and the front tires are down to 4/32" of tread, about at the point of needing replacements. Most of my driving is low speed around town so I am perplexed.  

Wow, that sounds like pretty poor performance from those tires!  Do you check the tire pressure in the tires at least every month, and if so, what pressure are you running in them?  Have you rotated the tires at all?  Have both tires worn down at the same rate with the same wear pattern?  What year is your car?

The tires are warranted  by Michelin and most dealers are Michelin dealers who can or should be able to offer adjustment prices for replacements.  If not, then you might have to find a Michelin certified dealer to help you.

#13 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

Didn't do anything special, but 83% Hwy miles and my alignment was off too.  I also recommend 50 PSI and reversing the rotation after 50% wear.  At 4/32nds you should be able to go atleast 10K mi. :smile2:

Paul

#14 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

I've finally gotten around to dealing with my tires. I was going to go with Michelin Defender, since they were highly rated by Consumer Reports and supposedly have a long tread life. But Michelin does not recommend these for the C-Max. They say the Defender speed rating is wrong for the C-Max--it's rated T--and they won't honor the warranty. Since Ford original tires are rated V, Michelin says I must stick to V replacements for them to honor warranty. They recommend their Premier A/S, so I ordered them from my local guy, who has a better price than Ford dealer. But, of course, Michelin can't supply them--backordered. So I guess I'll wait a little while to see if they come in. If they don't then maybe I'll go with the original Energy Savers, that is if Michelin can supply them.

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:24 AM

It will be interesting to see what kind of hit you take on mpg's. :wink:

Paul

#16 OFFLINE   wcshaff

wcshaff

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoulder

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:24 AM

I have an early 2013 C-Max.  Tire pressure at 38-40.  No rotation.  Front tires the same at 4/32 and rears at 6/32.  Very little highway miles.    

#17 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

I have an early 2013 C-Max.  Tire pressure at 38-40.  No rotation.  Front tires the same at 4/32 and rears at 6/32.  Very little highway miles.    

City driving is harder on tire than HWY, you need to rotate your tires, the fronts wear faster than back.  Running 50psi the tires will also last longer. The tires only come with 9.5/32" thread depth, so you should be able to get about 15K mi. more. :smile2:

Paul

#18 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

Hey Paul:

I rotated my tires for the 4th time now.  I'm running 50psi on them.  Only thing I see is that one of the tires (I believe from riding in the rear) has high/low spots on the outermost tread.  The car from behind looks like its squatting on the tires, in other words they tilt more to the outside and ride more on the outer edge than inner one.  I hear a little rolling sound from the rear, I wonder if the alignment is off or if there is a bad bearing in the rear not sure?  Anyway, below is how my tires look after 41k miles.  I did clean up all the rocks from them spending about 1/2 hour to eject about 200 objects per tire, and I found one broken razor blade and one nail thickness "staple" that pierced the tire with two "nails with no head" about 1/2 inch apart.  All 3 objects were in the tread but didn't make it deep enough to leak air thankfully and its a good thing I discovered them and removed them as the more the tires wear, the more they were getting pushed in deeper into the tire.

-=>Raja.

#19 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationNewnan,GA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hey Paul:

I rotated my tires for the 4th time now.  I'm running 50psi on them.  Only thing I see is that one of the tires (I believe from riding in the rear) has high/low spots on the outermost tread.  The car from behind looks like its squatting on the tires, in other words they tilt more to the outside and ride more on the outer edge than inner one.  I hear a little rolling sound from the rear, I wonder if the alignment is off or if there is a bad bearing in the rear not sure?  Anyway, below is how my tires look after 41k miles.  I did clean up all the rocks from them spending about 1/2 hour to eject about 200 objects per tire, and I found one broken razor blade and one nail thickness "staple" that pierced the tire with two "nails with no head" about 1/2 inch apart.  All 3 objects were in the tread but didn't make it deep enough to leak air thankfully and its a good thing I discovered them and removed them as the more the tires wear, the more they were getting pushed in deeper into the tire.

-=>Raja.

I did have a bad bearing replaced in the back at about 40K mi. on the car. I also had the alignment done and they replaced upper suspension part in the back that sets camber, it's not adjustable.  I believe that causes the uneven wear on the tire. :smile2: 

Paul 

#20 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

Hey Paul:

-=>Raja.

I have also noticed more rolling noise right after having the tires rotated at 30k miles (they have always been rotated front to back only every 10k miles). There are no vibrations and the tires look to be wearing evenly with plenty of tread left. I am tempted to have the tires rotated back and to have the bearings checked out to make sure there are no other problems. I have also wondered it this is all my imagination since I am so used to the car rolling very quietly. 

Tom

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tires, replacement tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·