Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.

Guest Message by DevFuse

C-MAX Energi membership upgrade information can be found here.

C-MAX Energi Premium Memberships

Click here to learn about our upgraded memberships.

Ad

Ad

Photo
- - - - -

Remote Start with MyFord Mobile app

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kuenai

kuenai

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:93 Civic Hybrid

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Has anyone who has an Energi tried the MyFord Mobile app yet? From what I have seen, the Energi can be started remotely and/or on a schedule - IF it is plugged into the grid.

My question is, can the car be remotely started via the app while NOT plugged in? This would be awesome while out running errands, to have the car warmed up or cooled down for you, esp. with those leather seats!

The app demo makes me think that this will not be the case, at least initially, but it also seems like the capabilities were tailored for BEVs, not PHEVs. Since I will never suffer range anxiety and will not have to be scrupulous about watching the battery, I would love it if Ford would allow remote start via the app while off the grid.

Agree? Disagree? Comments?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Valkraider

Valkraider

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Has anyone who has an Energi tried the MyFord Mobile app yet? From what I have seen, the Energi can be started remotely and/or on a schedule - IF it is plugged into the grid.

My question is, can the car be remotely started via the app while NOT plugged in? This would be awesome while out running errands, to have the car warmed up or cooled down for you, esp. with those leather seats!

The app demo makes me think that this will not be the case, at least initially, but it also seems like the capabilities were tailored for BEVs, not PHEVs. Since I will never suffer range anxiety and will not have to be scrupulous about watching the battery, I would love it if Ford would allow remote start via the app while off the grid.

The manual says it will only work while plugged in. Also, it is not necessarily "starting" - I don't think the gasoline engine runs, but rather it uses electricity to change the climate controls and warm up or cool down the car. It's different than remote start using the keyfob...

#3 OFFLINE   kuenai

kuenai

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:93 Civic Hybrid

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

That is what I thought from seeing the MyF M interface. I wonder if they will add that functionality later. Sigh.

As for "started", yes, our definition of what started means will have to become more flexible as these types of vehicles become more common. I just care about starting the climate control remotely, regardless of whether I'm plugged in or not.

Two weeks and counting....

#4 OFFLINE   MJV

MJV

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVirginai
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

I tried to setup my Energi with MyFord app. When I tried to register my car by entering the VIN, it kept saying the vehicle could not be identified! I called the number on the screen and I was told this app is not available as of yet with this model. They could not tell me if or when it will be.

#5 OFFLINE   Jereitz

Jereitz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I tried to setup my Energi with MyFord app. When I tried to register my car by entering the VIN, it kept saying the vehicle could not be identified! I called the number on the screen and I was told this app is not available as of yet with this model. They could not tell me if or when it will be.

Same problem here, although they told me they would get back to me in about 3days, but I've heard nothing.

#6 OFFLINE   DonS

DonS

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Locationusa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Have any of you made any progress? Have they worked this bug out yet?

Going into colder weather this is a pretty big deal; I really am hoping to have my car warmed and defrosted off of the grid before I leave in the morning so that much electricity is saved for my commute.

#7 OFFLINE   Shorttack

Shorttack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationWestport, MA
  • Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi 303A

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

My takeaway from the app demo is yes, you can remote start while off the grid. There is a software lock on this capability, which makes sense if the car is in a parking lot And you lose your phone.

Takeaway: down the app MyFordMobile. It is free and has a Guest/demo mode so you do not need the car to see what the app can do.

#8 OFFLINE   jlaase

jlaase

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

At this point, I have had no luck setting up the MyFordMobile app with my C-Max. It did take my VIN but I never get the prompts on the screen within the C-Max to finish the registration. :-(

#9 OFFLINE   kjb

kjb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCa
  • Current Vehicle:NA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Does anyone know how to link the vehicle with your MyFordMobile account? After registering an account on the MyFordMobile app on iPhone and registering vehicle details (VIN) in the app, the app takes you to "Vehicle Confirmation" Step 3: "Using the screen inside your vehicle confirm that you want to link it with your MyFord Mobile account", then step 4 return to your vehicle 24 hours later for a second confirmation step.

I do not see anywhere on the My Touch screen, in settings or info, or anywhere related to MyFordMobile or confirming to link it to a mobile account. Anyone?

#10 OFFLINE   jlaase

jlaase

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

From other forum posts and my own experience, it looks like the C-Max is not yet supported with the MyFordMobile software. I have called Ford and they said that it will be a few weeks until that support is enabled.

#11 OFFLINE   sean.havins

sean.havins

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationLoveland, Colorado, USA, Earth, Sol
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

From other forum posts and my own experience, it looks like the C-Max is not yet supported with the MyFordMobile software. I have called Ford and they said that it will be a few weeks until that support is enabled.

Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   evnow

evnow

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan Leaf

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

BTW, in Leaf you can heat the car when not connected. I do it quite often.

#13 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

You can also remote start the Energi with the fob. I tried it the first morning, expecting an all electric event and was dismayed to come out and find the ICE running. Not cool! I tried again this morning, after shutting off the climate system and just allowing the seat to warm up and the ICE was not running, but I saw no sign that any power was being supplied through the charger.
  • sean.havins likes this

#14 OFFLINE   sean.havins

sean.havins

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I have remote started three times so far. Each time it was still plugged in after a night's charge. I could see by the charger light that it was not actively charging before the remote start. Each time the Charge active blinking started when the remote start occurred. The ICE did not come on. I think this is how it is supposed to work.

If yours turns on the ICE while plugged into the wall, call the dealer and get it fixed.

[edit]
I just noticed something: I have my remote start set to use the last climate setting. My last temp setting was 74 degrees. However, when I shut the car off last night, the climate control was turned off. This morning, I did the remote start from the fob as usual and, 15 minutes later, entered the car. It was not 74 degrees in the car. I think that it may only warm the cabin up if it was on when the car was shut down the night before. If true Maybe my ICE would have come on when trying to warm a cold cabin. I'll check in the AM if I remember.

Edited by sean.havins, 07 December 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   sean.havins

sean.havins

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

I was wrong!!!

There are conditions where the internal combustion engine will come on during remote start even when the charger is plugged in.

Good catch Tdefny!!

Here are the conditions where my ICE turned on in my garage:
  • The garage and car were cold
  • I had the remote start set to Last Settings (Remote Start > Climate Control > Heater – A/C > Last Settings)
  • The last temp setting was 74 degrees and the climate control was running when I turned the car off last the night before.
i should have RTFM before I first posted. If I had, I would have seen this on page 61 of the manual:

WARNING: To avoid exhaust fumes, do not use remote start if
your vehicle is parked indoors or areas that are not well ventilated.

Edited by sean.havins, 08 December 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Not happy about it though. I would love to come out to a heated,defrosted car, but am not willing to start the ICE just for that on a trip that would otherwise be all electric. Perhaps if the car is left in EVNow mode it will stay off, like the last time I tried it. I have to test that some more.

#17 OFFLINE   Frankman

Frankman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:Chevrolet Volt

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Have you tried pressing the remote start on the key fob while NOT plugged in? Does anything happen?

You can also remote start the Energi with the fob. I tried it the first morning, expecting an all electric event and was dismayed to come out and find the ICE running. Not cool! I tried again this morning, after shutting off the climate system and just allowing the seat to warm up and the ICE was not running, but I saw no sign that any power was being supplied through the charger.

#18 OFFLINE   kdggdk

kdggdk

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-Maxx Energi

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Any update from Ford on the My Ford Mobile app - would love to be able to use this feature?

I am having trouble with navigation - it like I am offset from the street traveled about half the time - don't know if its software or a GPS problem.

Purchased Sat 12/15/2012 in Indianapolis (the Energi had just come off the truck so I am the only one to drive it except for the prep guy) - had 4 miles on it when I headed home (my test drive) and drove 140 miles home - now have 310 miles and between 1/2 and 3/4 tank left of the first tank of gas provided by Dealer.  158 EV miles drive and 22 Regen. miles driven.  Almost all EV at home so far.

Fun and love it so far!

#19 OFFLINE   nickkeen2004@yahoo.com

nickkeen2004@yahoo.com

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNashua, NH
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

One should note that the present release of the MyFord Mobile does not support the Ford C-Max Energi. According to the MyFord Mobile web site login page it states "MyFord Mobile will be available for C-MAX Energi and Fusion Energi in early 2013" Seems we have some waiting to do for the time being.

Time marchs on

• jonesware likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well THAT is a bit of an embarrassment. It isn't like they didn't know the Energi(s) were coming. You would think they would pull out all of the stops to make sure the thing worked before the first user tried to register.

Luckily, the car is so good, it just gives us something more to look forward to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users