Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Wheel Geometry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:34 AM

Looking at my car from behind, it is obvious that the rear wheels are not exactly perpendicular to the road surface.  The distance between the top of the tires is slightly smaller than at the bottom, and kind of looks like this.  /-----\ 

I've noticed this on a couple of other C-maxes I've seen, so I'm thinking this is by design and not a mechanical issue with my car.  Anyone know the reason behind this?  Will this impact tire wear?  Should the tires be rotated crosswise to extend tire life?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

It's an independent suspension :happy feet:

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:45 AM

I have the same issue with mine.  The car looks like its squatting because of all the weight in the back.

I rotate my tires every 10k miles and I now switched to crossing them also.  The first 20k miles 2 rotations I just went front to back and back to front.

-=>Raja.

#4 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

You are looking at rear negative camber.  This is common for many FWD cars, although not always noticeable.  The usual purpose is to limit power-off oversteer (i.e. when cornering hard with power on and the driver lets off on the accelerator pedal abruptly).

• Smiling Jack likes this

#5 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

You are looking at rear negative camber.  This is common for many FWD cars, although not always noticeable.  The usual purpose is to limit power-off oversteer (i.e. when cornering hard with power on and the driver lets off on the accelerator pedal abruptly).

Most front wheel drive cars have a crossbeam for a rear axle. The C Max has a 4 wheel independent suspension.

• dr61 and Smiling Jack like this

#6 OFFLINE   edweird

edweird

• 182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDaytona Beach, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

I suspect that the C-Max is like my Focus SVT, and you'd have to also trail brake into a corner in order to plant the front tires and induce oversteer to rotate the car.  Considering the extra weight the C-Max has in the back this might be less gradual and predictable than other FWD cars which are comparatively lighter in the back.  I've got no plans to test this out.   :headspin:

• dr61 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

When I had to slam on the brakes for a galloping freakin' Bear, yes a black bear, in Pennsylvania last summer, my Maxie pulled to the right which surprised me a little bit. I have not hit the brakes hard since then so I don't know if it happens all the time or not.

I think I read here someone else posted about pulling to the right during hard braking. They didn't post back what the outome or resolution of that if any.

-=^Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:34 PM

When I had to slam on the brakes for a galloping freakin' Bear, yes a black bear, in Pennsylvania last summer, my Maxie pulled to the right which surprised me a little bit. I have not hit the brakes hard since then so I don't know if it happens all the time or not.

I think I read here someone else posted about pulling to the right during hard braking. They didn't post back what the outome or resolution of that if any.

-=^Raja.

Most likely due to the crown of the road.

#9 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

Succinct synopsis of camber, caster and toe-in here:

http://www.vikingspe...caster-and-toe/

While we're at it, speaking of tires--

Does anyone know the precise size of the lug nuts? This is surprisingly difficult to find out, including a quick go at the manual.

And it's complicated by the fact that, for instance, 17mm is just slightly less than 11/16 inch. Which is it, metric or English?

#10 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

Succinct synopsis of camber, caster and toe-in here:

http://www.vikingspe...caster-and-toe/

While we're at it, speaking of tires--

Does anyone know the precise size of the lug nuts? This is surprisingly difficult to find out, including a quick go at the manual.

And it's complicated by the fact that, for instance, 17mm is just slightly less than 11/16 inch. Which is it, metric or English?

Metric.

#11 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:12 AM

If your asking about lug nut wrench size, they're metric, but my 3/4" deep socket fits nice with very little play and that's the equivalent to a 19mm socket.

Edited by timwil56, 14 June 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

If your asking about lug nut wrench size, they're metric, but my 3/4" deep socket fits nice with very little play and that's the equivalent to a 19mm socket.

Oh cool, thanks. Amazing, how that's so hard to find online! Even the owners manual is unclear, unless I missed something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·