Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Cracked Glass Roof! 224 Miles!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Replaced Ford Edge

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

Parked at the store today and saw what I thought was some spider web on the front left area of the glass roof on my 2015 with 224 miles.  I went to brush it off and WTF!  It's a crack!  :censored:   It's about 12 inches long and starts at the edge of the glass about 2 inches back from the front of it.  It is on the driver's side. 

I haven't driven on the freeway at all yet and haven't been behind any cars or trucks that may have thrown up a stone or object that might have hit it.

Taking it in Monday to the dealer for them to look at it. 

I say glass defect or stress crack.  Hopefully the dealer will agree with me.  No chips or impact area can be found so we will see.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   epic

epic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationburnet ,texas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energI

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

odd.have never heard of roof glass breaking.thats some strong/thick glass

#3 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

It is difficult to understand what happened, or for that matter, when.  The section of glass is tinted very dark and it is just a crack in it.  May have been there for a week, I just don't know.

Will see what the Ford dealer says tomorrow when I go there.  I shut the sunscreen just in case the glass shatters on the drive over there.

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:19 PM

Sorry to hear your bad news.  I have the pano roof too.  

#5 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:13 AM

Sorry for your misfortune. I added glass protection coverage on my insurance policy just because of the pano roof. I confirmed that the pano roof would be covered under the coverage with my insurance company before adding the additional coverage. I think it costs me $20 extra a year, but I'll pay the 20 for peace of mind.

#6 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

Sorry for your misfortune. I added glass protection coverage on my insurance policy just because of the pano roof. I confirmed that the pano roof would be covered under the coverage with my insurance company before adding the additional coverage. I think it costs me $20 extra a year, but I'll pay the 20 for peace of mind.

We just recently moved here.  When I switched insurance coverage for the condo we are leasing and the cars, I specifically asked about special glass coverage.  This was before I got the C-Max but had read about glass coverage on a different forum for windshields.  Westfield Insurance doesn't have special coverage for glass, just the standard comp or collision coverage.  I have a $250.00 deductible on each so won't be a big out of pocket expense IF I have to cover the glass replacement.

I took the car to the dealer this morning.  A service advisor, a tech, and another employee all looked and said there was no divot or impact mark showing.  Pictures were taken and submitted to Ford for hopefully warranty coverage.  I am supposed to hear something later this afternoon.

#7 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

The service advisor had told me Monday morning he should have an answer from Ford by the end of the day (Monday) but he never called me with any news.  Yesterday I called him in the afternoon, and found out that it was his day off.  They wanted to call him at home to find something out and I said no way, let the guy enjoy his day off!

I spoke to him today and found out that Ford has warranted the roof glass, saying that the pictures submitted  :camera:  show it to be a stress crack.  Not sure if it was something defective in the glass, but it is being covered. 

The glass has been ordered and may take a week to get here.  Classic Auto Group here in Mentor has numerous brand dealerships and has their own body shop.  However, all glass work is through an outside source.  I was told I can drive the car in the meantime since it is a stress crack and not any type of "broken" glass which may shatter. 

I will limit my drives to locally and will also keep the sunscreen closed just in case!

#8 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

Just a few days shy of four weeks, the replacement roof panel from CarLite, the supplier to Ford, has been delivered to my dealer.  I dropped the car off this morning and was given a rental.

They gave me a 2015 Fusion Hybrid, so I now have a chance to do a little compassion between my C-Max Energi and the Fusion Hybrid while my roof gets repaired.  Biggest difference I noted on the 10 mile drive home was how noisy the engine in the FFH seems compared to the C-Max.  It also doesn't seem as peppy or responsive right away when in EV mode.  I have to push on the pedal more than when driving the Max.

I'll post any further remarks in a separate or correct topic.

#9 OFFLINE   IslandTractor

IslandTractor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston area
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

How did the glass roof replacement go?  I just found a smaller than dime size starburst crack on mine near the edge.  Not sure what caused it.  Planning to do the windshield epoxy repair thing as a temporizing measure and watch it for now.  Haven't called my insurance company yet but I do have glass coverage (mandated in Massachusetts) but not certain it would cover something like the moonroof.

#10 OFFLINE   ls973800

ls973800

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

When I first found the crack, it was about 4-5 inches long.  Driving the car until the glass came in, the crack grew to about 18-20 inches long running from the front left corner into the middle of the roof.

I have the Ford Service Manual on DVD and actually read the procedure that had to be done for replacing the glass.  Very involved including removing the headliner, the trim pieces, and a lot of other items.  The glass under the edges also have to be cut free of the bonding material that is used to hold the roof in place and that prevents water intrusion.

With all that had to be done, I could find NO indication that anything had been done!  Everything was clean, aligned properly, and I would have never known the roof had been replaced! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·