Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ford to lay off 700 at Cmax assembly plant

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

http://www.freep.com...-cmax/26251933/

"Ford said today that it is planning to cut a shift at its Michigan Assembly Plant where it makes the Ford Focus compact car and C-Max crossover because of declining sales of small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles."

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Bummer. I can't help but think Ford's lack of advertising for the C-Max is contributing to the low sales. I bet most people have never heard of the C-Max. Heck, even my own family members have asked me repeatedly "What kind of car do you have again?"

Edited by Kermit, 25 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

All of us here say "I love my Cmax", too bad its not as well known but hey I can't complain I'm loving mine!

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 25 April 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:31 AM

Looks like a lot of those workers will be moved to other locations for work, I saw this last week and

thought it was a good article because it isn't the regular job loss story.

• Kermit likes this

#5 OFFLINE   epic

epic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationburnet ,texas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energI

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

customers are all so short sighted.When gas goes to $4-5 per gallon in 1 year ,they cant build enough.At least they got the product ready this time around.It will happen ,we all know it.

• miboje likes this

#6 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi, Ford F-350 SD w/ 6.0 PSD

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:48 AM

I totally agree with Epic. Why on earth anyone would think that just because the price of gas is down right now that it will stay that way for a long time is beyond me. Maybe it will and maybe it won't, but I don't even see that as relevant.

And why does Ford not advertise their EVs/PHEVs much? I believe consumer education is vital, and these alternative technologies are absolutely necessary as we move into the future. All who can should be making the switch ASAP regardless of the current price of fuel.

#7 OFFLINE   mitrals

mitrals

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationChicago IL
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Agreed: I would have never thought of the CMAX Energi if I didn't see one sitting at a dealer's lot for over 180 days! I figured there is no market for the vehicle and was able to snag one with 70K miles for cheaper than a CMAX SEL. My daily commute is achieved 100% in electricity. Compared to my premium gas ICE car that gave me 17 mpg, I am saving $3 a day in gasoline ($4.07 in gas - $1 in electricity). Monthly savings just to work is $72 :). Resale value on the car is crap buy savings are substantial!

Edited by mitrals, 06 July 2015 - 12:33 PM.

• miboje likes this

#8 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Ford advertised C-Max on NPR for a while earlier this year (it's called underwriting on NPR I think) and what did they emphasize? Horsepower! Not exactly the way to attract NPR listeners to alternative technologies in an energy-saving, carbon-pollution-reducing vehicle that might actually interest them.

• Kermit and miboje like this

#9 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi, Ford F-350 SD w/ 6.0 PSD

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

We traded in our '11 Flex on our '14 Energi. Our payment went down, and we are saving about $180 per month in fuel costs.

I have told everyone I know about our Energi and extolled all the virtues, but only one person really showed any interest. I really don't know what to do to get more people on board and buying. I thought some of the people I knew were pretty smart and forward thinking, or so I thought.

#10 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:06 AM

We traded in our '11 Flex on our '14 Energi. Our payment went down, and we are saving about $180 per month in fuel costs.

I have told everyone I know about our Energi and extolled all the virtues, but only one person really showed any interest. I really don't know what to do to get more people on board and buying. I thought some of the people I knew were pretty smart and forward thinking, or so I thought.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."   (especially if you are talking to the other end of the horse)

"Casting pearls to the swine"

Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" also comes to mind.

Some who are very smart are said to have "a mind like a steel trap."  In some cases the "trap" is already closed.

Even some on the C-max Hybrid Forum have  surprisingly closed minds when it comes to realizing the truly game-changing nature of Plug-in Hybrid technology.

• miboje likes this

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Even some on the C-max Hybrid Forum have  surprisingly closed minds when it comes to realizing the truly game-changing nature of Plug-in Hybrid technology.

People ask me how far can I go on a charge, and I say 30 miles.  First thing they say, oh its only 30 miles??!  They don't understand that you can do alot with 30 miles and never use any gas on all the shorter trips.  The Cmax hybrid in your quote above, well, they are burning gas with every trip, their "goal" is "the longest tank", where our goal is to get somewhere and back without having to start the engine  :smile2:

For an interesting fact, my engine has been shut down since Saturday night on June 13th when I went to Claremont, NH, a 237 mile round trip that burned only 3 gallons of fuel with 3 charges, net almost 80mpg.  Next scheduled run might be this Friday when I need to go to Williamstown, MA, about 140 miles away.  MFM has me now as 99% EV mode and 98 Renaissance man, would have been another week for me to get 100% EV and 99 renaissance man, but if I go on that trip Friday it would set me back for another month - just the way it works.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 07 July 2015 - 09:03 AM.

• miboje likes this

#12 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

It's too bad Ford didn't properly market it's plug-in hybrids properly or aggressively.  I remember back when Tivo first came out and the marketing was just awful.  They never had a "I can pause the big game and restart it when I get back" theme, a similar miss to the key feature just like Ford never had a "I can drive 100 miles for $3.00 worth of electricity" theme.

Alas, the perils of being an early adopter.  We're buying a Toyota Highlander for road trips but will be keeping the C-Max for all of the in-town traveling as I love an electric car.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 07 July 2015 - 09:12 AM.

• miboje likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

People ask me how far can I go on a charge, and I say 30 miles.  .....

I usually respond with: "That's not the most useful metric.  Why dont you ask me a more interesting question like

1. How far can you go without plugging in and still use less fuel than you would in a conventional Hybrid (A = hunderds of miles)

2. How many miles could you go without needing gas?  (A. = Gary G did over 15,000.)

3. How long does one tank of gas last? (A = in my case, over a year)

4. How long can you go without using any gas at all?  (A = well over a month)

5. How far can you go without needing either to plug in or add gas?  (A = Farther than I've ever needed to go in a day so far, but I estimate well over the originally-advertized 600+ miles and probably more like 700 or 800 miles under favorable conditions.)

6. How much does it cost you to charge it up all the time?  (A = A full level 1 charge costs me about 75 cents; so, one of those every day could cost $23 per month, but I usually use less than $10 per month.)

or

8. How much extra did it cost you over the price of a conventional Hybrid?  (A = Zero.  Allowing for Federal tax credit, I paid essentially the same as I would have for a comparably equipped C-max Hybrid SEL.)

Edited by Smiling Jack, 07 July 2015 - 10:49 AM.

• miboje likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

When I talk about the car to other people it usually amazes them that I only fill the gas tank once every three months. Most people don't really relate to the electric range of how often charging is needed. When the price of electricity is questioned they are again impressed that its is about $25 per month for me. If the discussion gets into MPG my >100MPG make the best impression. In fact about 100MPG is my lifetime milage and the people I am talking to don't need any more details than that. 

I may not change anyones mind but the hope is I can get them thinking a bit more about how this car performs.

Tom

• miboje and jeromep like this

#15 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

When I talk about the car to other people it usually amazes them that I only fill the gas tank once every three months. Most people don't really relate to the electric range of how often charging is needed. When the price of electricity is questioned they are again impressed that its is about $25 per month for me. If the discussion gets into MPG my >100MPG make the best impression. In fact about 100MPG is my lifetime milage and the people I am talking to don't need any more details than that. 

I may not change anyones mind but the hope is I can get them thinking a bit more about how this car performs.

Tom

I agree with you exactly.  My lifetime mileage is right at 100 MPG and my last fill-up averaged 166 MPG.  I've had the car just over a year and have filled up exactly 8 times.  I even had a couple of road trips in there where I had no access to recharge overnight or while being entertained.  I admit that others have done much better.

Like others have said, why Ford isn't marketing the C-MAX more highly is beyond me.  They share roots with the Focus and Escape, I can't understand why they don't market them with those other two?  Frankly, there is nobody else in the industry that has a platform trifecta like Ford does with the Focus-C-Max-Escape.

• Kermit likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Taz

Taz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationVaries between MSP & SNA
  • Current Vehicle:Avalon Hybrid, Ford Flex EgoBoost

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

I think part of the problem is "range anxiety" even though it will function as a normal hybrid and use the ICE later. I was speaking to a coworker how lives exactly 5 miles from work and didn't really even consider a PHEV. He was thinking about a Tesla so he could go an entire month without plugging in. He felt he needed a car with 200 mile electric range so that he might also be able to go to a city 50 miles away and back on electric.

I tried breaking it down that he really didn't need a 200 mile range. He could start saving money now as at his office they have free EV charging. He could literally drive the car for almost nothing every day. Not to mention it sort of seems crazy to spend almost 100k on a car just to save $1/day on gas. He was sucked into the Tesla hype.

I never, ever thought I would appreciate a PHEV as much as I do. I had a pure EV (Leaf) and many Toyota hybrids (one still in our garage as well). While 20-30 EV miles every day may not seem like a lot, my current tank is at 116mpg. I haven't gassed up in weeks and I've gone 456 miles and still have 3/4's of a tank left. If I need to run up to San Francisco from LA (380 miles), I can easily get there on the fuel left in my tank.

Having that incredible range allows me to be more picky about where I gas up. I know that usually San Fran has even worse fuel prices than LA, now it is flipped. So now I use the gasbuddy.com app even more on trips since often there is some really cheap (compared to LA and SF) place to stop on the way.

• Smiling Jack, Kermit and jeromep like this

#17 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

Tesla's are great cars... if your living, working and traveling conditions all fit its "limitations".  And to get a Tesla with decent range you have to shell out over 80K.  Tesla's actual market is the high end sedan buyer: people who can routinely afford MB S-Class and BMW 7-series cars (I'll even throw in Lexus LS buyers for good measure).

That isn't a huge market.  It's large enough for the amount of competition there, but still, it isn't mass market and isn't going to significantly change the electric vehicle landscape enough to make an impact.  That is a big reason that Tesla is building out their proprietary fast charging station network on their own rather than letting private EV charging infrastructure providers do the build out.  It doesn't help that Tesla has eschwed all of the various charging connector standards for their own connector, but that is a story for a different time.

PHEVs are a stepping stone to a more electrified vehicle world.  What is really holding back the change from fuel to electric is the convenience and availability of electric charging and the time it takes to recharge.  I think Tesla is headding in the right direction by embracing DC fast charging, but it is years before that infrastructure is sufficiently in place to make all electric vehicles really competitive.

#18 OFFLINE   WheNRG

WheNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationDallas
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi w/302A

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

I had to get gas the other day for the first time since March - 3500 miles on this tank.  I've filled up 3 times in the 9 months I've had the car.  And the only down side to the Energi is a little smaller hatch space.  People I talk to usually don't even know that cars like this are out there.  Now if the range were upped to ~40 miles I'd almost never need the ICE around town.  I would prefer they reduced the gas tank to around 10 gallons (still plenty big for road trips at 40 mpg) and add in a bit more battery.   

• Kermit and miboje like this

#19 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

People I talk to usually don't even know that cars like this are out there.  

I never would have known about the C-Max if my husband's car hadn't been totaled. He wanted a Focus, and while we were at the dealership, the C-Max caught my eye. We ended up with one of each.

#20 OFFLINE   blandman

blandman

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Ford has really disappointed me. They are letting Nissan, VW, BMW, GM and soon, Tesla, take away this market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·