Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Engine on: For Normal Operation?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

This title is a new one on me.  It happened a couple of times this week, on the way to NY once and on the way home tonight once.  

First of all, I too the eco route home, some highway, some country road.  I was on 15 N and I passed 91 and it wanted me to stay on 15, but then all of a sudden "highway ends" I didn't expect that, turns into shopping strips with lights every mile or so.  I looked on my phone and found an EV charging station close by and decided to stop there for a little juice.  20 minutes I had a snack, used the bathroom, And charged from 89% to 99%.  The first leg was 73.3 miles, 49mpg and only 11% battery used.

The second leg I went straight through 15 lights and all, then onto 84 for several miles with rolling hills, saving the battery for later the car started out close to 50 and dropped to 40.4mpg by the time I got to route 191 my exit for the country road home with 95% battery to start.

I enjoyed the rolling hills, steep 9% downgrades and was able to recharge the battery back up to 99 to 100% on a couple of occasions.  I used the engine for climbing as it was hot already and at some point about 30-35 miles out I decided to EV it and use up the battery.

About 7 miles from home with 5 miles remaining showing in the battery all of the sudden the engine was running - it had not been for a while.  I quickly switched to the leaf screen and then to the car icon before the oncoming stop sign and caught the description in the subject above.  Anybody know the reason for that?

a) The main battery was not dead

b) Climate control was off

c) The engine had been used quite a lot and was already up to operating temperature.

d) I did not over throttle the car, acceleration bar was at full blue.

Anyways, I gingerly creeped into the big-Y here locally in my town ith 1/2 a hybrid battery left, perfect, and killed the mpg number at 71.9 for the 2nd leg of 86 miles.  I'm recharging now while checking the forums and writing this question.  Gotta pickup some ice cream before heading home gas free.

Total trip burned 2.62 gallons of fuel for 60.8mpg average.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

Normal!

#3 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

...  I quickly switched to the leaf screen and then to the car icon before the oncoming stop sign and caught the description in the subject above. 

-=>Raja.

By "leaf screen" I assume you mean the MFT. What do you mean by "car icon"?  Do you mean the vehicle portion of the MFT where it shows the power distribution?

When I'm in EV and the ICE comes on, it puts up a pop up window on the left display on my 2014.

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,151 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, in the leaf screen you can choose either the car icon that shows the battery, accessories and engine usage with a description of the engine on reason "due to acceleration" for example or the other screen to show the charge level %.

The only popup window I would see in the left screen would be press OK to enable engine in EV mode.  I don't have pop-up descriptions in there as to why the engine is on.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 17 April 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 230 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationcentral
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max energi, Fusion Ti Hy, Mustang GT, Triumph TR7

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

I have seen this several times in the winter, but not in the last month.  I mostly have noticed it when I have the climate control on, or I'm accelerating briskly. 

#6 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Malibu Maxx

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

I got that one after I charged the car for the very first time, which was frustrating, but I think I had climate set to Auto at the time and it was cold.

I don't mind the engine coming on but this particular message is so unspecific that it's useless. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·